• 3 Post By RENOSPRITE
  • 1 Post By Alsrenault10
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: Low Voltage light in R10 Renault

Tadpole

Default Low Voltage light in R10 Renault

Good morning Everybody,

I've recently bought myself a tidy and original R10 Renault so thought i'd get back on the forum.

I was previously on here a few years ago when i owned a R25 GTX.

In any case I hope to be an active forum member once again and get to one of your social events in the near future.

In the meantime, I have a question that i can't seem to find an answer for in any of the 5 manuals that i have with the car...

The car starts first time every time ( Push button start!) and has been well maintained with new filters, hoses, distributor tyres etc when i purchased it. Oil level and water level are spot on with no leaks / smoke etc.

Everything has been going well on my weekend jaunts but on my way home yesterday, stopped at a set of traffic lights, i noticed a green light appear in the bottom RH corner of my dash. When i blip the accelerator or simply the raise the revs the light goes out but quickly reappears when the revs drop back to idle?!

The car idles nicely and i've just had the battery on trickle charge overnight so that appears to be fine. I also checked the belt tension for the dynamo and that seems fine as well. It runs free with no noises / smells?

I guess the question/s i have are, Is the green light that appears actually a low voltage warning light and is it normal for it to appear on idle ?(i presume not).

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Al

Advertisement

P.S, Will post pics of my R10 soon.

Welcome back!

If it still has the original generator, the green light could flicker on idle, if it has a very low idle speed. Equally, the generator could be tired - brushes? Something else could be wrong - have you measured voltage when it is charging and the green light is out?

Some of us have fitted alternators when the original generator died - definitely a better system in my view.

Sounds like a nice R10 - look forward to the pictures.
    driven likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hi John,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.. still trying to work out pic attachment!

I think you're alternator idea is a good one. Everything is original (apart from filters etc) so i dare say the dynamo would be a little tired!.

Hope to see you al soon,

Al

P.S, I'm based in Thirroul, north of Wollongong so the sea cliff bridge run is an early morning weekend favourite drive of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsrenault10 View Post
    Hi John,

Thanks for coming back so quickly.. still trying to work out pic attachment!

I think you're alternator idea is a good one. Everything is original (apart from filters etc) so i dare say the dynamo would be a little tired!.

Hope to see you al soon,

Al

P.S, I'm based in Thirroul, north of Wollongong so the sea cliff bridge run is an early morning weekend favourite drive of mine.
    Here is a thread you may find helpful:

gererator to alternator conversion.......
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

From the factory handbook.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Low Voltage light in R10 Renault-dsc00674-002.jpg   Low Voltage light in R10 Renault-dsc00674-001.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

A small flicker on idle should not be anything to worry about in my opinion, if it I still going out as the revs rise. My R8 does that all the time.
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

1000+ Posts

The 4CV register of Australia acts as the rear-engined Renault (& mid-engined Djet) club of Australia & I advise joining it. A fellow frogger, John Waterhouse, is president & could assist.

Apart from considering conversion to an alternator, one thing which I'd advise is checking the manufacturing date stamp on the sidewalls of the tyres. I suspect there to be a few time-expired ZX shod RERs in circulation out there & your beastie might be one.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 22nd January 2018 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    The 4CV register of Australia acts as the rear-engined Renault (& mid-engined Djet) club of Australia & I advise joining it. A fellow frogger, John Waterhouse, is president & could assist.

Apart from considering conversion to an alternator, one thing which I'd advise is checking the manufacturing date stamp on the sidewalls of the tyres. I suspect there to be a few time-expired ZX shod RERs in circulation out there & your beastie might be one.

cheers! Peter

cheers! Peter
    So right Peter and thanks!

Yes, we'd welcome you to the fold, and there's plenty of advice out there! PM me your email address and I'll happily send a membership form for the Renault 4CV Register of Australia. Excellent value if I say so myself.

Good point re tyres too - there's more to safety than tread!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The 4CV register of Australia acts as the rear-engined Renault (& mid-engined Djet and a front engine Fregate) club of Australia & I advise joining it. A fellow frogger, John Waterhouse, is president & could assist.

cheers! Peter

cheers! Peter
    Fixed it for ya.
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 22nd January 2018 at 10:24 AM.

Tadpole

Hi Guy's.

You're responses are exactly what i needed, thank you.

Seems a flicker at idle is normal then.

And my little michelin cheese cutters with red stripes are virtually brand new - Thanks for caring!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Al, my R10 does same as yours and several other R10s I’ve owned, agree with KB I believe it’s quite normal, you should drop in to the Renault car club meeting at Fivedock, first Monday of each month: details on the RCCA website. There’s usually a R10 or 2 at the meeting
    Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Low Voltage light in R10 Renault-dc3562a3-01db-44f8-ae9c-bc9d53590e82.jpgA pic of my R10 in the garage
    LeMansTragic, Sunroof and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RENOSPRITE View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC3562A3-01DB-44F8-AE9C-BC9D53590E82.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	102834A pic of my R10 in the garage
    Nice colour

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    My apologies Graham, I misread your post in my original (now deleted) puzzled reply. I think that the de facto expansion of the register's brief to "any oldish beastie with a Renault connection, especially if the engine is at the rear" is admirable & I do hope that the Fregate manages to get to the next muster. I was thinking of giving it a miss but am enticed by the prospect of driving a Fregate again after 50 years.

cheers! Peter

I am still curious though: what did you manage to be able to fit to the Fregate by way of tyres? I can't recall the size but I imagine that it would be, at best, an obsolescent one.

Tadpole

Low Voltage light in R10 Renault-img_0205.jpgLow Voltage light in R10 Renault-img_0198.jpg
    Sunroof likes this.

Tadpole

No idea how to rotate that pic sorry??!!

1000+ Posts

It looks great even upside down

Ah, that one!
    KB

Tadpole

Yep, That one ! LOL... I made him an offer he couldn't refuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsrenault10 View Post
    No idea how to rotate that pic sorry??!!
    It's 'cos it's been around the block a few times :-)
    Sunroof likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

It's all good and perfect for what i need it for... A very distinctive car for a local business which drives ok.

My apologies Graham, I misread your post in my original (now deleted) puzzled reply. I think that the de facto expansion of the register's brief to "any oldish beastie with a Renault connection, especially if the engine is at the rear" is admirable & I do hope that the Fregate manages to get to the next muster. I was thinking of giving it a miss but am enticed by the prospect of driving a Fregate again after 50 years.

cheers! Peter

I am still curious though: what did you manage to be able to fit to the Fregate by way of tyres? I can't recall the size but I imagine that it would be, at best, an obsolescent one.
    Peter, at the risk of starting another thread hijack I'll answer your question as succinctly as I can. I had Nankangs on but chucked them away because they were always flat-spotted when cold.
    Now I have tyres called Retro which are probably made by Nankang anyway but that suits me fine because I am neither a tyre snob nor a hoon.

Low Voltage light in R10 Renault-ww.jpgLow Voltage light in R10 Renault-www.jpg
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 4th February 2018 at 01:02 PM.

1000+ Posts

185/80-15 is indeed an awkward size as DS owners discover. Many of them have chosen the faux-XVS Retro which is indeed a Nankang tyre. There are not many other options without going wider & lower profile.

I would self-identify as a hoon but I am certainly not a tyre snob. My suggestions to fellow-froggers have been that, even for sedate drivers, wet grip is important so that if one's precious classic is faced with an emergency swerve &/or brake in the wet then the tyre is part of the solution, not the problem & that benign limit behaviour is also worth having. I don't care what tyre brand meets those criteria. The aged compound point is a part of the above wet focus.

No doubt when you let me have a fast fang in the Fregate in the wet at the next muster, some impression of the Retros can be formed :-)

cheers! Peter
    JohnW likes this.

I'd have to characterise it as "punting the slug" when I hacked into a Perth roundabout in our amazingly wet day last week in the Citroen CX Pallas C-matic. Apart from reminding me of how nasty suddenly-wettened roads are in Perth in summer, it certainly reminded me that the Bob Jane Specials aren't the best in the wet, even when the compound is relatively young. Maybe 70% of the weight on the front has something to do with it..... The quality of the Diravi steering greatly exceeded the grip...... So, regarding 'grip', I'm with you Peter!

Back to wafting, it suits the car far better.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information