Megane GT Wagon - Spare Wheel
  • Register
  • Help

Default Megane GT Wagon - Spare Wheel

Hi

Long time, no post. Ex-Peugeot driver, who went German and is now considering a move back to France.

I've been looking at a new Megane GT Wagon and something that is stopping me pulling the trigger is a lack of a spare wheel, or space saver. The tyre goop is standard on the GT Wagon, with no option for a spare tyre of any sort. The GT Hatch does come with a space saver at least (Link to latest Megane Brochure - https://renbr-edms.s3.amazonaws.com/...re-Desktop.pdf )

Advertisement

I realise tyre goop is relatively common these days, but has anyone else come across and resolved this issue? Or has any idea why Renault made this choice on the Wagon? I've read the space saver may not fit over the front brake calipers for example.

Renault Australia were unhelpful on the matter, and the dealer is going to see what they can work out as I won't pull the trigger without a bonefide spare wheel.

Thanks.

Ewen
    Last edited by ewen75; 14th January 2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Formatting
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

In the last twenty years of suburban, freeway, forest and interstate driving I have had three punctures only. I carry a plug type repair kit and a small compressor. The repair can usually wait until I get home or to work, as punctures always seem to involve nails or screws generously distributed from the backs of tradies vehicles. This type of puncture provides a slow leak rather than a six inch hole, and the leak can be watched from your vehicle's tyre pressure monitor.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Straight up - I always like to have a spare wheel. In fact the 308 currently has 2 spares ! Much easier for rotation !

It does however seem that a spare is probably superfluous. In 30 years of driving I've had maybe 4 flats. Once I noticed the click, click, click of the screw on the road as the wheel rotated and simply drove straight to the tyre shop. A couple of times I've seen something shiny poking out of the tyre and could have done the same thing. Only once did a puncture actually mean a flat which was actually driven on by the driver at the time for maybe a kilometre which ended up destroying the tyre. Modern tyre pressure monitoring might have changed that situation.

Do you need a physical spare wheel - probably not.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

I do quite a bit of long distance driving on country roads. I hear what you're saying but I'd rather not take the chance. Although I haven't had a flat in over 3 years, I've had my fair share in the 20 odd years prior to that.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

Tadpole

Default Megane GT Wagon - Spare Wheel

If you flat on the front you put an original full wheel in its place and space saver the back wheel... stupid yes but early wrx stiís were the same with brembos..

Why in one version and not the other, accessibility maybe to it..

Sent from my 3geesus using Tapatalk( it's ifail)
    Probably should put something clever here..
    oh well

Thread Information