• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SHANE51
  • 1 Post By 68 404
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: R19 for sale

Default R19 for sale

I wish to sell my R19. As I stated a few weeks ago I had a warning light come on. It turned out to be a electronic fault warning light. On several occasions the light came on while I was driving. The computer would then drop the gear box from drive to third gear. This increased the revs by 1000. The motor never came close to red lining. I would turn the motor off and that would be the end of the problem. The Sunday just gone 07/01 I went to reverse up a driveway and the motor just revved without engaging. I moved forward and tried again. The gearbox then engaged. The motor has done just over 150 000km's. Until what I have just explained the gearbox itself was the best gearbox I have ever had. It is a 4 speed automatic box that has never given any trouble until just recently. I don't know what exactly the problem is. It could be just a computer glitch. It could be that the bands need servicing. I really don't know. All the panels are straight and rust free. All the interior is in very good condition. I would hate to see the car go to the wreckers or worst still the scrap yard. I am open to any reasonable offer. Yours Sincerely Shane

Advertisement
    danielsydney likes this.

Any pictures of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    I wish to sell my R19. As I stated a few weeks ago I had a warning light come on. It turned out to be a electronic fault warning light. On several occasions the light came on while I was driving. The computer would then drop the gear box from drive to third gear. This increased the revs by 1000. The motor never came close to red lining. I would turn the motor off and that would be the end of the problem. The Sunday just gone 07/01 I went to reverse up a driveway and the motor just revved without engaging. I moved forward and tried again. The gearbox then engaged. The motor has done just over 150 000km's. Until what I have just explained the gearbox itself was the best gearbox I have ever had. It is a 4 speed automatic box that has never given any trouble until just recently. I don't know what exactly the problem is. It could be just a computer glitch. It could be that the bands need servicing. I really don't know. All the panels are straight and rust free. All the interior is in very good condition. I would hate to see the car go to the wreckers or worst still the scrap yard. I am open to any reasonable offer. Yours Sincerely Shane
    What a curious 'For Sale' ad...

A R19 with a dodgy auto.
    That'd be a first

Dave
    jaahn likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Good luck with your sale, Shane!
    If you can't sell, i think you are mechanically very capable, it would probably cost you about 4 to 500 to fix yourself. This is assuming the pressure switch doesn't need replacing (unlikely).
    The transmission has no bands and it is quite easy to work on. No special tools required. The transmission can be taken out without removing the engine if you are strong. I prefer to lift the engine/trans as a unit.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

COL

I would be finding someone with an XR25 and do some diagnostics first, then you will have a good idea what you are up against.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I would be finding someone with an XR25 and do some diagnostics first, then you will have a good idea what you are up against.
    Hi
    Not required ask JoBo.
    Actually common failure in their day. No mystery really.
    I solved mine by swapping a manual into it.
    Jaahn
    COL likes this.

All correct but the car is in Boyup Brook. You'd need some serious resources, not least of TIME to deal with it from there. R19 auto skills are a bit thin on the ground in Perth I'd suspect, although I guess at least one of the local folk would be OK.

Maybe there's a secret and passionate R19 fan out there in nearby Collie or somewhere in the SW, or even in Perth?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Hi
    If you wanted to do something with the auto, it is the same generic automatic fitted to VW Golfs also of the era. They too had the same problems. But VW continued to use them for quite some years and in the Transporters etc too till every VW mechanic was sick of them. Hmmm probably best not to go there after all
    However in my cars case I purchased a later manual writeoff and swapped the engine and box and ended up with a good car for my daughter which she used for years and years with little work required, till she got a newer one only some years ago. Good deal that car really.
    Jaahn
    Jaahn
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information