Clio II Air Con compressor
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Clio II Air Con compressor

Hi guys,
    I have a 2002 Clio II 1.4 with what I am told is a dead air-con compressor. I got one quote of around $1600 - $2000 to fix. Car has done 180,000 kms and may need to be sold in the next year or so, so am not too keen on dropping 2K on it.
    Ebay have compressors for around $500 - $600, would it be worth trying one of these and then paying an air-con shop to fit for me? Or does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy a 2nd hand or reconditioned one? I am in Brisbane.

thanks,
    toadmussen

Advertisement

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Clio ll Sports are renowned for A/C problems though I'm not sure if it's the same compressor. It's also not the compressor that stuffs up. If you read up on ozrs he may get some more insight
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

There is a wreckers on King Ave in Willawong that had quite a few Clios last time I visited. Might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

Thanks, they do have one! Any recommendations for where I could get it fitted? The first place I tried had absolutely no interest!

Quote Originally Posted by toadmussen View Post
    The first place I tried had absolutely no interest!
    I'm guessing they may have some pride in their work. As being given an unknown compressor with an unknown car may just invite criticism from an owner if things just don't work. Sort of like taking your own food to a restaurant, asking them to cook it up, then blaming them when you get a salmonella sandwich. :-)

I'm thinking the car is close to the end of its economic life. How old/how many k's is the timing belt? What is the general condition of the car otherwise? With the A/C if the cause for the lack of cold air is unknown it could extend to a new condenser, then there are all the hang-ons involved with reinstating the system, which will add up over the cost of even a second hand unknown compressor. All of which are an unknown to the best mechanic when they start with an "open" system they didn't first diagnose.

Sometimes comfort costs, and if the car is going in 12 months, it may be more worthwhile making sure the window winders work :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Shop around a bit more, a general mechanic can install it and then get an aircon guy in to re-gas it. Some of the mobile aircon guys might do it too. Make sure you can take the compressor back if itís found to be faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thread Information