Melb to Townsville in RS Clio 182 Cup F1 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Melb to Townsville in RS Clio 182 Cup F1

COL

I did this trip in a R12 in 1993. My trip was not quite as eventful as yours John.

Did Brisbane to Townsville in one day took 3 tanks of fuel. Got a puncture in the left rear and copped a rock in one of the driving lights on the way up.

Advertisement

On the way back about 3 hours out of Melbourne the rear muffler decided to part company with the car, so through it in the boot and welded it back on when I got home.
    Sunroof likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Apart from the break downs, setbacks etc., once again I envy you doing these big road trips John. I love driving across this beautiful huge country of ours, and doing it in something that isn't boring is even better . Thanks for the story
    Sunroof likes this.
    cheers,

John

Hi John, Great story and certainly a memorable trip, disappointing about RACV, my experiences with them while living in Melbourne were excellent, I had top cover, don't know what you had or if it matters, on another note, if you plan on doing these sort of trip again, without the hassle, invest in a Shoo Roo. They are brilliant, I have used mine extensively in outback QLD and NSW and to a smaller extent in Victoria and Tasmania, great for fast outback trips and they work really well to keep the Roos from hitting you, They just turn and head away from the road.
    Regards
    Neil
    Sunroof likes this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

J-man, I enjoyed driving up to Mildura and into SA, then the back way up to Port Augusta, Roxby Downs and Andamooka in the Clio Sport last month.
    I've never been that way so it's nice to see new things, and I also like the back way cause you can push it a little more. The trip back from Adelaide I've done to many times over the years so less enjoyable. But this is the point, as nice and enjoyable as it was nothing happened. What will I remember, what stories can you tell of that trip, "it was nice and enjoyable". We always remember our misadventures and have stories to tell of them.

On the "shoo roo" I've heard good and negative things about them, so in my opinion when I've driven up the Castlereagh highway and I've counted over 300 roo's along that stretch in one night, they ain't gonna do stuff all.
    J-man likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TassieExec View Post
    Hi John, Great story and certainly a memorable trip, disappointing about RACV, my experiences with them while living in Melbourne were excellent, I had top cover, don't know what you had or if it matters, on another note, if you plan on doing these sort of trip again, without the hassle, invest in a Shoo Roo. They are brilliant, I have used mine extensively in outback QLD and NSW and to a smaller extent in Victoria and Tasmania, great for fast outback trips and they work really well to keep the Roos from hitting you, They just turn and head away from the road.
    Regards
    Neil
    Did you use the whistle type or the electronic type?
    Dr Karl's Q&A forum
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

A great read about a great drive.
    Some things don't change that much. At the end of the 80's I worked in Tambo for 2 years. When I got the job I bought a low kilometre Virage, put an alloy roo bar and spotties on it, as I thought it would be foolish to expect to be able to use my Cit GS out there for a couple of years. Quickly realised as I travelled around in central Qld that, even though there was an R12 1.4 also in town, no-one was going to show any interest in fixing the Renault if it broke down. So at the first opportunity I sold the Virage, and took the GS out there - in for a penny ......... .
    If I ever tell people about my travels with the GS whilst at Tambo, I get strange looks from most when I get to the bit about how I'd do a 1800k return trip to Brisbane to get the car serviced/ fixed, as they ask "But why didn't you just use the local mechanics?" Or worse, "But why didn't you just buy a Kingswood/ Commodore?"
    Hope the RS Clio is back on the road soon.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 78 GS Pallas; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

The genuine Shoo Roos are electronic, definitely not those cheap little wind operated whistle types, Shoo Roos are designed to give out a fairly quite audible cheep as well as the inaudible deterrent sound so you can check if they are working. Some decades ago RACV did extensive testing of these and found that they worked very well, by the way seeing 300 or 500 or whatever dead Roos on the road proves northing as you don't know if any of the vehicles involved had Shoo Roos fitted. By the way they only work if you switch them on, Don't ask how I know!!!!
    Regards
    Neil

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

168 live roo's not dead the other night, and that's only half way though there, so I may of seen over 300 live ones again if I kept going to St George.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information