• 1 Post By AU-YT
  • 2 Post By 27of85

Thread: Alpine A110 "Best French Car..?"

Default Alpine A110 "Best French Car..?"

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...ew-116749.html

Advertisement
    JohnW and Steve K like this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Best french car?

Let's see.

What else do we get?

A whole bunch of boring as batshit Peugeots, similarly exciting Citroens (okay, perhaps the DS3 is an exception) and a few Renaults, which good as they are, don't really stand out in a crowded marketplace of nice hatchbacks (start with the Fiat 500 and go up from there).

My point is, this isn't saying much. The Alpine never had a serious battle for top spot in the french world.

But I think the Alpine marks a more important milestone.

In a world with very few new ideas and a lot of re-releases, Renault might have just hit the sweet spot and revived a legendary name without ruining it for ever like most re-releases.
    nauli likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Methinks you have missed the point of the "new" A110. It has not been introduced for the purpose of propelling Alpine to French car sales domination. It is not a re-released body style based on a current platform. It physically won't stand out in the sports car world as it's diminutive. What it is though, is a brand new sports coupe designed from the start to provide a driving experience unmatched by any of it's peers. That's it for the First edition. Nothing more. People that enjoy driving will buy it, those that are after WF15+ will buy something else..................
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

The headline "Best French Car?" was written by the "Drive" people ... not often does a Frenchie get that much love ;-)
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Methinks you have missed the point of the "new" A110. It has not been introduced for the purpose of propelling Alpine to French car sales domination. It is not a re-released body style based on a current platform. It physically won't stand out in the sports car world as it's diminutive. What it is though, is a brand new sports coupe designed from the start to provide a driving experience unmatched by any of it's peers. That's it for the First edition. Nothing more. People that enjoy driving will buy it, those that are after WF15+ will buy something else..................

Also there are probably not enough zeros in the price tag for the people after those sort of bragging rights.!
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

I responded to the title.

And I think whichever way you look at it, the new Alpine is an attempt to capitalise on the fame of its predecessor, hence it will be inevitably compared to this benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    The headline "Best French Car?" was written by the "Drive" people ... not often does a Frenchie get that much love ;-)
    I thought it was a bit more ironic that serious. They did say best FRENCH car, not best car.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I responded to the title.

And I think whichever way you look at it, the new Alpine is an attempt to capitalise on the fame of its predecessor, hence it will be inevitably compared to this benchmark......................
    The fame of it's predecessor, such as it was, was at it's peak 44 years ago. It is a brand almost forgotten now, except by Renaultphiles and Rally aficionados from that era, some of whom might now have the where-with-all to own a new one, but might also have a great deal of difficulty with entry and egress.

No, I figure that the former Alpine factory in Dieppe was not earning it's keep and that the new Alpine is more an attempt to add some extra bucks and kudos to the Renault-Nissan-Dacia-Lada-Samsung-Mitsubishi bottom line than an exercise in nostalgia, although the nostalgia aspect may occasionally pop into the heads of people over 60.....
    geckoeng likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

The fame of it's predecessor, such as it was, was at it's peak 44 years ago. It is a brand almost forgotten now, except by Renaultphiles and Rally aficionados from that era, some of whom might now have the where-with-all to own a new one, but might also have a great deal of difficulty with entry and egress.

No, I figure that the former Alpine factory in Dieppe was not earning it's keep and that the new Alpine is more an attempt to add some extra bucks and kudos to the Renault-Nissan-Dacia-Lada-Samsung-Mitsubishi bottom line than an exercise in nostalgia, although the nostalgia aspect may occasionally pop into the heads of people over 60.....
    As for my interest in the car , it started when I had a ride during a demo run in thisAlpine A110 "Best French Car..?"-110-1600s-1974.jpg
    Kim Luck likes this.

It may seem like that for you, but people rarely forget things like that. The new generation may not know about any of it, but then this is a chance for some to learn. The car may be little known in Oz, but in Europe it has never been too far from the public. Have a look on u tube at some random competition over there and you're bound to spot an Alpine or two competing.

As for making money for the group, I think if that is the intention, they'll be bitterly disappointed. But I don't for a moment think that they are that daft. How much money can a sub-100k car bring that behemoth? Let's see. Let's say they sell 10 000 units at 70k $ each over 10 years for a grand total sold of 100k cars? (I feel really generous about all those numbers). That means .7 bn revenue per year, right? Well, last year their revenue was 51 bn Euro. Renault alone.

If any of my guessed numbers turn out to be wrong (which I can guarantee they are), the revenue gets really trivial really quickly (just imagine they sell 5000 cars a year instead of 10000).

I think for that money their efforts would be better invested in making trucks.

Nah.

It's just a marketing exercise like the Veyron. I wouldn't be surprised if the project actually lost them money, so if I wanted one, I would get in quick.
    It's a car they make because they want to raise the profile of the company. People lust for the sports car, they go and buy they shopping cart. What's new?

Quote Originally Posted by AU-YT View Post
    As for my interest in the car , it started when I had a ride during a demo run in thisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	110-1600s 1974.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	102176
    What car is that? The picture looks like a bad photoshop session.

The wheels on that Alpine look massive compared to the R12, and they shouldn't.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 27th December 2017 at 01:18 AM.

It may seem like that for you, but people rarely forget things like that. The new generation may not know about any of it, but then this is a chance for some to learn. The car may be little known in Oz, but in Europe it has never been too far from the public. Have a look on u tube at some random competition over there and you're bound to spot an Alpine or two competing.

As for making money for the group, I think if that is the intention, they'll be bitterly disappointed. But I don't for a moment think that they are that daft. How much money can a sub-100k car bring that behemoth? Let's see. Let's say they sell 10 000 units at 70k $ each over 10 years for a grand total sold of 100k cars? (I feel really generous about all those numbers). That means .7 bn revenue per year, right? Well, last year their revenue was 51 bn Euro. Renault alone.

If any of my guessed numbers turn out to be wrong (which I can guarantee they are), the revenue gets really trivial really quickly (just imagine they sell 5000 cars a year instead of 10000).

Nah.

It's just a marketing exercise like the Veyron. I wouldn't be surprised if the project actually lost them money, so if I wanted one, I would get in quick.
    It's a car they make because they want to raise the profile of the company. People lust for the sports car, they go and buy they shopping cart. What's new?

The picture is a scan of the original I took in 1974 and it is one of the Works team cars from 1973.
    The Car went on to compete as guest at a number of local rallies namely the Forrest rally outside Canberra and won by a significant margin.
    as for the wheel size what you need to remember is how small these cars are.Alpine A110 "Best French Car..?"-800px-renault_alpine_a110_berlinette_1600_sx.jpg

1000+ Posts

Nah.

I don't care what their reasons are for doing it ,i'm just glad that they have done it.
    Kim Luck and pclio like this.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

The picture is a scan of the original I took in 1974 and it is one of the Works team cars from 1973.
    The Car went on to compete as guest at a number of local rallies namely the Forrest rally outside Canberra and won by a significant margin.
    as for the wheel size what you need to remember is how small these cars are.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-Renault_Alpine_A110_Berlinette_1600_SX.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	102187

I know how small the car is, hence my comparison against the R12 wheel, not the car itself. But I was going to comment even the car looks a bit out of proportion with the R12 behind it. Granted, we don't know how the picture was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    I don't care what their reasons are for doing it ,i'm just glad that they have done it.
    So is everybody else, just don't make it what it isn't.

I took the picture with my dads camera, of which the make and lens type escapes me, the main issue is the distance the R12 is behind the A110. and remember the Alpine on tall rally tires and raised suspension

I took the picture with my dads camera, of which the make and lens type escapes me, the main issue is the distance the R12 is behind the A110. and remember the Alpine on tall rally tires and raised suspension

I was wondering about the size of those tyres, because in all the period photos you see the Alpines with those oversized tyres that make it look a bit like it's wearing granddad's slippers. Do you happen to remember the size?

I was wondering about the size of those tyres, because in all the period photos you see the Alpines with those oversized tyres that make it look a bit like it's wearing granddad's slippers. Do you happen to remember the size?
    Sadly no it it didn’t enter into my head and at 18 years old I was to besotted with just the car to notice tyre sizes.
    If you take a std R8 tyre of 135 80 15 v a 13” tyre it would be 165 80 13 which looks about right.

The wheel size would be 13"....given that they look like Gotti Bi Metal rims....the tyres certainly look rather high profile...
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

Put the sizes in this calculator and you will get a visualisation of the comparison 135 80 15 V 165 80 13
    https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thread Information