Hot R16TS engine Recomended SPARK PLUGS ?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By driven
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: Hot R16TS engine Recomended SPARK PLUGS ?

Default Hot R16TS engine Recomended SPARK PLUGS ?

Fellow modified R16TS engine owners.

I've been thinking with twin 45mm side drafts, modified cam, slightly worked cylinder head and big extractors a standard R16TS engine is probably not wanting the standard SPARK PLUGS normally fitted to a R16TS engine.

Advertisement

I would appreciate any good advice about what I should be using. No rush. The engine is finished but it wont be going in for a while yet.

Thanks guys

Phil
    Hot R16TS engine Recomended SPARK PLUGS ?-dscn2158.jpg
    lozenge, driven, G4ME and 2 others like this.

1000+ Posts

I have a17TS engine which is standard but does have a much higher compression ratio than an R16. A bigger cam and I am running two DCOE 45 mm carbs. I am running the exact jetting as the R12 G ran but using the factory recommended plugs, (Which sugest two different heat options.) I had problems starting the car. So Alan Moore suggest Iridium plugs and it has always fired up straight away since. I have electronic ignition which works well in a Bosch dizzy. (As the 17TS originally had a bit of an odd dizzy for the original injection system.) The DCOE's will need three progression holes at least. Some come standard with two and others up to five. But two is not enough so I drilled another as used in the Alpine 310 and the R12 G with similar engine. I run the original exhaust and it probably is a pretty good design but may not fit into an R8.

NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug - CR8EIX - Supercheap Auto

Not saying these are the correct number. Just to point out the advantages. I'll see what is in my R17TS.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Wouldn't old fashioned copper cored plugs still be the best? Won't last as long as modern platinum/iridium plugs but the best conductivity for the hottest spark, no.

Will be interesting what is best. I have GekoEng doing a 16ts motor in the start of next year so i'm sure he may have some thoughts on spark plugs for the project
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

I prefer Iridium for long life.
    If fuel quality is low, had to go for a colder spark plug to prevent pinging.

Check out best plugs in 2017

Top 10 Best Spark Plugs with Reviews - MyCarNeedsThis

Is the engine in your bedroom?
    Love the carpet!
    bowie likes this.

Phil - not related to spark plugs, but I think I have located your old white R8.
    There was a thread about it previously, but I can't locate it. If you can find and bump that thread (or if someone else can), I will post a photo and some details. This was the one with the black out on the tail-light panel, and a nudge bar on the front that was around toongabbie for years before disappearing - until today!

KB
    J-man likes this.
    KB

+1, if it's not in your bedroom, it should be for er... reasons.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Phil,

More than once have I had trouble with these fancy multi cathode type plugs when running points and condensor. Many years ago my 16TS came to almost a standstill with the then fancy "Golden Lodge" My G wouldn't start when hot or rev above 4000 rpm with the fancy Bosch ones. My G now faded with the Autolites that I'm racing with. My G is running points and condensor.

Apart from the one plug as in my race car thread, I have never had any issues with it using the fancy plugs but that is with a modern ignition setup. In the 1800 TS powered A110 we have electronic ignition and used the NGK B9ES very successfully. These are the cheap everyday plugs but cold ones.

I guess in short it comes down to points and condensor likes a plug the is gapped or can be gapped to 0.025". The fancy plugs is about 0.040" and non-adjustable and good for modern coil packs.

I think for your application in doing a 400m burst or a hillclimb of maybe 60s is for you to decide. A race application where your engine is at full rpm and full load for 24kms and a duration of 10 mins there will be other plugs to be used.

Just my thoughts. Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi KB

My heart just skipped a beat when I read your message.

My old R8 was a 956cc Early 1964 When I sold it in about June 1972 it was white with black inserts on the bonnet and black insert on the rear panel.

If anybody knows anything of it history I would love to hear from them.

Thanks again KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Phil - not related to spark plugs, but I think I have located your old white R8.
    There was a thread about it previously, but I can't locate it. If you can find and bump that thread (or if someone else can), I will post a photo and some details. This was the one with the black out on the tail-light panel, and a nudge bar on the front that was around toongabbie for years before disappearing - until today!

KB

I do like the NGK Iridium plugs and use them in all my vehicles. I have found with my old bikes with magneto ignition, and not much spark output at low revs, that they start more easily, and with the fine tip, less likely to foul. I would recommend some type of electronic ignition rather than points and condenser when running Webers, preferably a Capacitor Discharge system that will still fire well even when you have trundling around in traffic pumping the accelerator jets regularly, and so making an over rich mixture. For normal driving with my warm 16TS I use an NGK 7, and would go to an 8 if running hard on the track.

I do run an old CDI unit that I designed and made myself when I did my Electronics Certificate. I don't know what voltage it makes but in open air it will jump 30mm easily, and can run a V12 at 20000 rpm if necessary. I have not tried running big gaps on the dyno to see if there is any advantage in a 16 TS, but in my BMW 2002 there was no advantage after 36 thou, though it would still run fine at 45 thou, just that there was no HP gain, so why push the system.

Many modern manufacturers now run a 1mm or 1.1mm gap (40 -44 thou), but I expect that is more to do with emissions, possibly by building a higher voltage to bridge that larger gap, giving a better chance of effective ignition given the very lean mixtures at work, but I don't know.
    Sunroof likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Phil - see the R8 thread recently bumped.
    I can’t recall it ever having black bonnet inserts when I used to see it around the toongabbie/wentworthville area in the 90s. It doesn’t have black inserts now, but the other details match I believe. I couldn’t see the rear of the car yesterday, but I recall it having the inserts back then.
    KB

Someone told me to try Iridium in my 160hp !2G. Worst thing I ever did so I went back to standard.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Performance engines normally require careful selection of spark plugs and standard choices may not apply

NGK info as good as many

https://www.ngkspark.co.nz/technical...d-performance/

Hi again KB.

The original rego plate was DHP-617 and after many years and a passenger side front end write off the car was re-registered to BIX-794.

Possibility I have those rego numbers the wrong way round considering B comes before D alphabetically !

The front inside of the boot was replaced but only half of the floor as I used tin snips to cut the wrecked bits of and bought a left hand inner front rail and halved it with weld to re-construct the front. The paint colour at that time was Chamonex White

Maybe this might help

Cheers
    Phil

KB

Thanks everybody for the replies on the Spark Plugs. I'm now researching for the best outcome.

Yes I'm pretty chuffed with the Engine reconditioning, I just love re-building engines I can assure every nut, bolt and washer on this rig has been cleaned and inspected before installation. This is how I learnt to repair Aircraft engines in the RAAF and it has stuck with me. Moto: You can't stop on clouds to repair your bad work!!

Cheers
    Phil

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi again KB.

The original rego plate was DHP-617 and after many years and a passenger side front end write off the car was re-registered to BIX-794.

Possibility I have those rego numbers the wrong way round considering B comes before D alphabetically !

The front inside of the boot was replaced but only half of the floor as I used tin snips to cut the wrecked bits of and bought a left hand inner front rail and halved it with weld to re-construct the front. The paint colour at that time was Chamonex White

Maybe this might help

Cheers
    Phil
    Best to post in the other thread, but I think they started repeating numberplate sequencing around every 10or more years back then so it is possible to be “out of order” in that respect.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehi...s_of_Australia
    Last edited by renault8&10; 23rd December 2017 at 12:37 PM.
    KB

Thanks KB but I haven't learnt the skills of moving these posts into another thread name. Can you help me do this please.
    Phil

Best to post in the other thread, but I think they started repeating numberplate sequencing around every 10or more years back then so it is possible to be “out of order” in that respect.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehi...s_of_Australia

I wouldn’t worry. Just post comments on your old car into the other R8 fan thread, and leave this one for posts on your new motor.
    KB

OK, from now on I will.
    Phil

I wouldn’t worry. Just post comments on your old car into the other R8 fan thread, and leave this one for posts on your new motor.

Thread Information