• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By rosbosca

Thread: R1135 Gordini 1967

Tadpole

Default R1135 Gordini 1967

Is there anybody who has experienced a complete rusting out of the drain underneath the front fuel tank?
    If so, what was your method of repair?

Thanks
    rosboscaR1135 Gordini 1967-sscn1347.jpg

Advertisement

I think all R8s rust out there. Mine has a neat-ish sheet of flat galvanised steel over the top, after I removed the rusty remnants. Luckily the underside didn't rust out over my feet, so I did nothing there. This was 35 years ago, and the GI is fine - held in with mastic and self-tapping screws, so far from an elegant restoration. But it has been quite adequate.

Yours looks far worse though, rusted underneath at the top end. Fibreglass?
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fortunately mine didn’t have any rust there. However, that is a very common spot for any R8/10 to rust, let alone an 8G. Contact Aussiefrogs user alpinesau, Robert has just had the drainage channel remanufactured as a direct replacement panel, and if you are lucky, he may still have some left over.

Please make sure you don’t spoil the stamped in batch/build number on the boot floor between the drainage channel and the right hand wheel arch too.

Also the car looks very original, it just needs a quick cut ‘n polish to restore the Cannes Blue paint :-)
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Default R1135

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Fortunately mine didnít have any rust there. However, that is a very common spot for any R8/10 to rust, let alone an 8G. Contact Aussiefrogs user alpinesau, Robert has just had the drainage channel remanufactured as a direct replacement panel, and if you are lucky, he may still have some left over.

Please make sure you donít spoil the stamped in batch/build number on the boot floor between the drainage channel and the right hand wheel arch too.

Also the car looks very original, it just needs a quick cut Ďn polish to restore the Cannes Blue paint :-)
    Thanks heaps,
    rosbosca

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Fortunately mine didn’t have any rust there. However, that is a very common spot for any R8/10 to rust, let alone an 8G. Contact Aussiefrogs user alpinesau, Robert has just had the drainage channel remanufactured as a direct replacement panel, and if you are lucky, he may still have some left over.

Please make sure you don’t spoil the stamped in batch/build number on the boot floor between the drainage channel and the right hand wheel arch too.

Also the car looks very original, it just needs a quick cut ‘n polish to restore the Cannes Blue paint :-)
    Thanks Simon. I'll chase him too!!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by rosbosca View Post
    Is there anybody who has experienced a complete rusting out of the drain underneath the front fuel tank?
    If so, what was your method of repair?

Thanks
    rosboscaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SSCN1347.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	101783
    I gave up on the R10 I had that was completely rusted top and bottom of the drainage channel. I figured that the original was a stressed and structural part of the boot floor and that to effectively re-instate it was more excitement than I could cope with at the time.......
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Didn't Christian Lees make a hammer mould to make the channel, and then covered it with a shaped piece of sheet ???

They rust because they are not painted at the factory. Same as first 3 years in ZA, then they pre-sprayed with a etch primer with a tube shoved up the channel before going through the spray booth. So later models had very little rust n the drain channel.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Tadpole

Thank you to those who replied to my request. As I am very new to Aussiefrogs, I do not know how to contact either Christian Lees or alpinesau, please help.

Regards
    rosbosca

You can send them a Private message (PM), by clicking on their name if you can find it in a thread - which if all else fails can be found by conducting a search with their username as the thread author.

Christian is c.lees on here; Rob Lee is alpinesau
    KB

Also, you can click on "Nav Panel" on the top bar, which brings up a menu. Under "Community" which is a red heading, you'll see "messages" in green and under that "Send New Message". Click on "Send New Message", and the message screen comes up. If you start typing the name (alpinesau for example) a list will appear (slowly sometimes) giving members' names and you can click on the correct one, thus ensuring the spelling is correct. The system works well.

Good luck. I've already asked about more of those drain pressings, but be assured, if there is only one I will not feel I should have it ahead of you! Your need is clearly a lot greater than mine!!!!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Thanking you
    JohnW likes this.