• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Only19
  • 1 Post By driven
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 2 Post By jo proffi

Thread: warning light

Default warning light

It has been a long time since I have been in the forum. My Renault 19 (Renee) 1.7 litre 1994 model has been running great. Today a warning light stayed on. I am at a quandary as to what this light signifies. I am pretty Sure it has something to do with the automatic transmission. It is Located on the bottom R/H corner and is coloured orange. It has a diagonal and then straight line configuration. It repeats this line pattern 3 times. If any one could confirm what this warning light is for, I would appreciate the information. Yours Shane

Advertisement

COL

A pic of the dash with the warning light on would help.

I have a Laguna 1 about the same era and the only warning light that looks like what you describe is the imobiliser light.

Does the car still start and run?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I found this photo on the net, It's supposed to be 1994 Renault 19, is it the correct dash?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	renault 19.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	101628
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

The lights at the bottom right are usually the choke and hazard.
    Orange warning lights do not normally indicate critical faults but are advisories.
    The gearbox warning usually is an outline of a gear box or gear lever and is usually red.

If it looks like a zig-zag this is telling you there is an issue with the injection computer or injection system.
    This is very vague so it's best to get the car checked although if it's running okay it might not be urgent.
    Last edited by REN TIN TIN; 30th November 2017 at 08:58 AM.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

G'day Fivedoor, the dash is similar, however not the same. Where the hazard light indicator is located is where this orange warning light is. It is similar to he pattern that Ren Tin Tin has shown. I would love to post a phot, but I lost my camera. Thanks for your help Shane

G'day Col, the car still runs so it is not an imobiliser problem. I appreciate the help though Thanks Shane

G'day Ren Tin Tin, the diagram you posted is similar, although not exactly the same. It is located in the same position as the Hazard light posted by Fivedoor. I drove Renee yesterday and the light remained on. I noticed that the engine was revving a 1000 revs above her normal revs. When I drove back I had no problems with either the light or the gearbox/engine revs. I have no transmission fluid leaking out. Thankyouy for your help Shane

Hi there - had a 2004 Clio auto that would occasionally do that (1000 revs higher idle, same sort of light on dash) - generally due to a load of dud/contaminated fuel. (It seemed a bit oversensitive to fuel problems). Try draining the fuel and refilling with high octane and give it a good run. At the worst, you get a 1 - 2 year supply of mower fuel.

Cheers
    Bryce
    jaahn likes this.
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

G'day Bryce, I should clarify that the revs were only higher when I was travelling down the road. It was like I was in second gear when doing a 100km's. Renee has always idled fine. Thanks for the help though, Shane.

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane
    The extra revs sounds like it was in 'limp home mode' and in 3rd gear. This is a normal protective step for all modern auto boxes if they see a fault. 3rd gear is direct drive.
    Have you serviced the transmission, eg changed the oil a couple of times. If not now is the time to start. How many Ks has it done.
    Jaahn

Injection or transmission, take to your Renault Dealer
    All Renault dashboard light warnings at

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/rena...s-symbols.html

If selling the car take out the globe.
    AND
    If buying a car ensure all warning lights are working as someone may have read this post or knows about this trick
    pug206gti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Injection or transmission, take to your Renault Dealer
    Would a renault dealer have an XR25.or know how to use it??

Plugging The r19 into one would end the game of guessametrics.

Jo
    COL likes this.

G'day Jo Proffi, I had taken Renee to my local mechanic. He didn't have the right connection plug for the car/computer. My nearest Renault dealer is some 90 minutes drive away. This will be my last resort so to speak. Thanks Shane

G'day Driven, I have no intention of selling Renee. I intend to drive her until she drops. Thanks Shane

G'day Driven, that link was useful. Believe it or not it still didn't have the symbol that is on my dash. The closest one was the electronic fault warning light. For now I will closely monitor things. A trip to the dealer will undoubtedly be inevitable. Thanks Shane

1000+ Posts

Shane, it's most likely as Jaahn said.
    How many km has the box done? Has it got an external oil cooler?
    I'd call the dealer first and ask if they have an XR25 and an older Renault trained technician. If not, you're probably going to waste your money.
    You could check the transmission computer and look for oil that's creeped up from the pressure switch. It could be the multi function switch at the top rear of the transmission; it could be a problem with one of the valve body solenoids; could be an internal pressure loss problem.....
    If indeed there is an internal pressure reduction, the Renault dealer should have the tool/gauge to diagnose that easily. If the internal pressures are good then you look at the rest.
    If you need a manual to do the internals of the box i can send it to you. They internals are easy to fix if you have a few spanners and patience. It's possible to take the transmission out without removing the engine (have done it once and it wasn't too good for my back) so i just removed e&t as a unit.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by SHANE51 View Post
    G'day Driven, that link was useful. Believe it or not it still didn't have the symbol that is on my dash. The closest one was the electronic fault warning light. For now I will closely monitor things. A trip to the dealer will undoubtedly be inevitable. Thanks Shane
    G'day,
    draw a pic of it with a pencil, please.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?
    "Well, you got to die sometime. You may as well be doing something you enjoy when you're doing it, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    draw a pic of it with a pencil, please.
    And then what??

Mail a copy to each of us??
    pug206gti and jaahn like this.

Icon6

G'day,
    I was thinking maybe, scan it, take the pic with a 'phone, or a camera. Come along to the FCOMTKD.

p.s. any chance of an Australia Day BBQ ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?
    "Well, you got to die sometime. You may as well be doing something you enjoy when you're doing it, right?"

G'day Driven, I have no intention of selling Renee. I intend to drive her until she drops. Thanks Shane
    An automatic Renault 19?

Won't be long

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane
    Then take note of JoBo. He owned quite a few R12 autos over the years and worked on them all including the rebuild of the autos. He put a lot of ideas and suggestions on here too for the help of others. Retired now I guess from that work
    Jaahn

Thread Information