R 20 Clutch
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: R 20 Clutch

Fellow Frogger!

Default R 20 Clutch

I've just acquired an R 20 spare parts car.Got the motor running with some Start Ya Bastard (after cleaning plugs & Points) I'd like to check out the G/Box but first I need to fix the Clutch hydraulics.I think the cylinders just need a good clean and hone.The flex connecting hose (plastic) was a devil to remove and I can see some remnants of a rubber seal inside the threaded holes, does anyone know what is going on here.The Haines manual is no help.
    Woody

Advertisement

Can't mickeymouse some sort of cable arrangement to do the test? This is just to save reconditioning hydraulics for no reason (if it turns out the 'box is verschinckered).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Brian,

the clutch setup on the r20 is great, nice and light but with feel. However, ditch that plastic hose and take the master 'n slave, with the old bit of nylon crap so they can see how long it is, down to your local brake place and get them to provide you with normal screwed end stuff. Mine was done this way and I never looked back.

You'll have to do the hoses up with the slave out of it's housing, but it's not a big deal. Pity they didn't use the same setup on the Fuego.

The nylon hose was a constant PITA, tended to pop out without warning 'n all

The five speed r20 is a box with real balls, probably the same one they used on the r30 - the autos were rubbish.

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Brian,

the clutch setup on the r20 is great, nice and light but with feel. However, ditch that plastic hose and take the master 'n slave, with the old bit of nylon crap so they can see how long it is, down to your local brake place and get them to provide you with normal screwed end stuff. Mine was done this way and I never looked back.

You'll have to do the hoses up with the slave out of it's housing, but it's not a big deal. Pity they didn't use the same setup on the Fuego.

The nylon hose was a constant PITA, tended to pop out without warning 'n all

The five speed r20 is a box with real balls, probably the same one they used on the r30 - the autos were rubbish.

cheers,
    Bob
    Haha, mine popped out in the middle of nowhere in South Australia. Drove an hour with clutch to nearest country mechanic. Of course they were curious about the car, but they fixed it on the spot and it never did it again!
    Agree about in auto vs manual in the 20, transforms the car. Hard to find though as most were autos.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Fellow Frogger!

All I want to know is how to seal the ends of the flexible tube .if all goes well I can put the g'box to good use.
    Woody

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Brian,

as you can see, they don't seal, well, sometimes they don't !! Usually at the most inopportune times.

The rubber doover is a bit like a tiny 'O' ring that squashes up on the hose and housing - aaaah, if you can still get 'em.....

Really mate, it's not worth the effort....

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

The rubber seal if not available from Renault may be gettable from Peugeot.
    Used on 504, 505??
    If you just want a temporary fix, some rubber hose of the right diameter may suffice.
    Often overlooked is the small metal washer that bears onto the rubber seal.
    Best to wind the cylinder onto the hose fitting not to twist the plastic hose and then
    bolt the cylinder into position.
    FYI the R20 and R30 gearbox casings appear the same, similar geartrains, but the 30 diff and pinion
    are larger.

Thread Information