Floride wider rims
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Floride wider rims

As part of my refurb I am looking at wider rims primarily for more tyre options but also better braking and handling. I would like to keep the Floride hub caps which I think means I can't increase the negative offset. If I am right I need to increase the positive offset. So my question is can I go with a 6 inch rim or is 5 inch the best option.
    Regards
    Andrew

Advertisement

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

You might find that you need to cut the front guards to fit wider wheels as I did on my Floride when I went six inch
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Either that or some serious metal stretching, pulling and pushing will get them under the guards, just.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
    As part of my refurb I am looking at wider rims primarily for more tyre options but also better braking and handling. I would like to keep the Floride hub caps which I think means I can't increase the negative offset. If I am right I need to increase the positive offset. So my question is can I go with a 6 inch rim or is 5 inch the best option.
    Regards
    Andrew
    I can't see why offset would make any difference to whether you could fit the hub caps or not.

As for offset, I'd keep it the same (widen inwards & outwards by the same amount). My recommendation is not to overdo it. If you want to keep the same wheel size front & rear then I suggest 5". This will, I predict, foul nowhere & allows you access to the sizes 175/65-15 (front) & 185/60 rear. A good range of tyres is available in these sizes &, upon request, I can suggest some if you indicate your priorities. A less dramatic modification would be to use 4.5" rims (Citroen GS perhaps?) which would allow you to use Continental's excellent EcoContact3 in 155/60-15 (a bit of undergearing but not dramatic).

If you go for the wider nims/tyres option, then I suggest that you reinforce the weak centres of these wheels. I have done this on several wheels for my 4CVG & R8 & can supply details of the modification upon request.

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

I am a little confused by the replies on this one. I donít really understand what is meant by positive and negative wheel offsets. It is OK for camber and caster but I find it is usually easier to use terms of inner and outer when talking about rim sections. That is the language wheelwrights usually talk when describing composite 3-piece wheels. Outer rim sections are the ones further away from the centre of the car and the inner rim sections are the ones closer to the centre, simple.
    andrewl is wanting to use hubcaps on a wider wheel, so my understanding of his question is that he wants to keep the outer rim at a standard offset so he can use the hubcap. Therefore, he wants to know how much inner width he can run when increasing the wheel width. The issue is one of inner offset, distance to the tie rod ends and calipers etc, not the outer offset which determines the clearance to the outer mudguard.
    The answer should assume he is running 15 inch rims to fit those hubcaps. That gives a little more clearance than a 13 inch rim used on some Gordinis etc so he should easily get 6 inch width.
    On another point, I run 5.5 inch front and 7 inch rear on both the Alconi and R8G. The Floride/Caravelle I am building has a wider body with the same front crossmember and same rear end as the R8G and Alconi so why would it be necessary to flare the guards further to fit the same size wheels with the same offsets on a wider body ?

Fellow Frogger!

The reason the offset causes a problem in fitting the hub cap with a wider wheel is that the outer rim will be further away from the centre mounting lug for the hub cap. Maybe some extension or longer centre bolt with a spacer would solve that problem and allow the outer rim to have more offset toward the outside of the car, increasing the track to improve stability in cornering and braking.
    Last edited by Bustamif; 23rd November 2017 at 09:31 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    I can't see why offset would make any difference to whether you could fit the hub caps or not.

cheers! Peter
    The Floride hub cap goes right to the outer rim. In other words covers the whole wheel.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I've flown home tonight but fly out again Monday, so if you want to borrow two of my six inch wheels to try out on your car you can pick up tomorrow but I want them back Sunday. Send a pm if interested.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

Thanks everyone that has given me enough information to make a decision.

Although I do have one question. When I have spoken to a couple of wheel shops it seems rims only come in 4, 5 or 6 inch. You can't get half inch increments. Is that right?

John thank you for your offer. I actually have a set of 6 inch rims on a 13 inch wheel which given the tyre on them is pretty close to a 15 inch wheel. I bought them years ago and fitted them last weekend. I wasn't happy with the look so that's what prompted me to post this thread.

Regards
    Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewl View Post
    Thanks everyone that has given me enough information to make a decision.

Although I do have one question. When I have spoken to a couple of wheel shops it seems rims only come in 4, 5 or 6 inch. You can't get half inch increments. Is that right?

John thank you for your offer. I actually have a set of 6 inch rims on a 13 inch wheel which given the tyre on them is pretty close to a 15 inch wheel. I bought them years ago and fitted them last weekend. I wasn't happy with the look so that's what prompted me to post this thread.

Regards
    Andrew
    That is right these days, however back in the day there were other options used including splitting the rim and welding a steel ring also called a band into the rim. Welding into either the inner rim or outer rim would give whatever rim section you wanted. Manufacturers also made various combinations of rim widths with various increases so it was a matter of going to the wreckers and selecting the appropriate wheel width and offset then cutting the centre out of your wheel and welding the replacement rim onto the Renault centre. Another trick called reverse rims was to increase the track by cutting the centre out, flipping the rim around and welding the centre back in. The options and selection of combinations was almost endless.
    With various nanna state regulations most wheelwrights don't attempt those mods now or they just dont know.
    The good news is that there are quite a lot of modified 13 inch renault wheels floating around and they occasionally come up here for sale on AF. I have at least two sets of 13's that were supposed to be 6 inch and were actually 5.5 when measured.
    Most of the mods we did pre about late 1970's are now illegal.

1000+ Posts

I now understand the point about "hub caps". If you wish to retain the wheel trims but wish the outer rim to be of greater than normal width for inner clearance purposes for a wider than normal rim, then the answer is to have a longer mounting bolt & a bit of tube as a spacer.
    I believe that one can get 5.5" rims but if not, I would again recommend 5", especially for the front.
    Your motivation is access to better tyres than the (somewhat dire in the wet) ZX, XZX or Nankang CX 668 commonly fitted. You could always abandon the widening & fit a 145/65-15 (early Smart fronts) to the standard 4" rim. Regrettably, the Conti EcoContact EP is no longer available in this size but some improvement over the normal fitments in RERs is available with the Nankang AS-1 in 145/65. This is especially so in the dry but also in the wet. Not a wonderful tyre but better than the usual fitments. It will gear the car down by 4.7% compared to 135/80. I think that you would find the tyre change to be worthwhile just by itself.

cheers! Peter

You most certainly can get wheels in _ 1/2" widths, I fit tyres to them daily!
    And just to clear up (maybe!!!) offset for everyone, rim offset is the distance between the mounting face of the rim and the wheels center line. A wheel with a mounting face that sits behind the center line has negative offset and vice versa. A diagram would really help here!
    So anyway, yes, if you were to have your rims widened you would have to increase positive offset to maintain the distance between the outer edge of the rim and the hubcap mount in the centre.
    Oh, and offset is measured in mm.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by Leeroy69; 26th November 2017 at 11:13 AM.

Thread Information