• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the handling of late model SUVs
    Manzoni from Ferrari would take issue with this https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/ev...errari-mclaren

Alpine A110-centre-gravity.jpg

To compensate, some manufacturers (eg X5) firm up the suspension, as a compromise

Advertisement
    Last edited by turnbull151; 3rd December 2017 at 12:40 PM.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    Not in my world. The bikes usually slow me up on twisty bits of road. They have far better acceleration and like to blast up to 200k on straight bits but are much slower than my R8G or Alconi on tight roads. They also generally dont realise you have caught them while they dawdle and tippy toe around corners.
    my experience as well with each of my four toys; no doubt there are bikes & bikers out there that would be exceptions

no doubt there are bikes & bikers out there that would be exceptions
    Possibly an "endangered species" especially those who choose of overtake on hairpins, as was my experience on the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road not so long ago.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Cars are following the trend of the motorcycling world- adventure bikes are becoming more popular than sports bikes or tourers. SUV people I know are folk who dislike getting down into a car but rather prefer sliding across onto a car seat at an easy height ( ageing joints?).
    This is the reason my parents prefer their Honda Jazz to the Civic, which I drive. I find, however, that the Jazz feels more like a Toyota Tarago than a proper car, except it's less comfortable than a Tarago.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!

While there are idiot bikers as also car drivers, often what the car driver thinks is poor forward visibility ( dangerous) is not so for the SUV or Adventure biker. They can see over the tops of most cars being higher and bikers are able to move to the extreme edge of their lane to get a longer look through tight corners than car drivers. I gather skilled car drivers stuck behind motorcyclists are referring to mostly city riders (coffee shop cruisers) on busy outlying congested roads (country?) rather than bikers regularly riding the Snowy's or Victorian Alps.
    Classic sports cars and bikes, IMO, are being threatened as sports SUVs and adventure bikes add more performance to practicality. Looks, however, are another matter. Whatever sells most will dominate. Ducati , for example, has dropped its touring models.
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 3rd December 2017 at 05:57 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I gather skilled car drivers stuck behind motorcyclists are referring to mostly city riders (coffee shop cruisers) on busy outlying congested roads (country?) rather than bikers regularly riding the Snowy's or Victorian Alps.
    No, I am referring to country roads with lots of corners usually under 120 kph such as mountain roads or through tropical rainforests especially on descents. I also observe that if we catch slower traffic they will blast off across double centre lines because they have such great acceleration. Not so good on tight twisty bits.

I am not sure how the new Alpine would fare against an original well set up A110 on a tight mountain road. It all depends on who conducts such a test.

Fellow Frogger!

I am certain the new A110 would leave the old A110 for dead irrespective of the driver skills.
    Better power to weight ratio, full wishbone suspension, much grippier tyres, super brakes, etc.etc.
    ....and a super quick paddle shift auto transmission.

The REAL question is will it SATISFY more?

I guess all us armchair experts will have to personally conduct these tests to find out...
    Kim Luck and SilverGTi_6 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi steve

You forgot to mention it has a turbo as well unlike the original. Have you put in an order?? Only 99 coming to Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    I am certain the new A110 would leave the old A110 for dead irrespective of the driver skills.
    Better power to weight ratio, full wishbone suspension, much grippier tyres, super brakes, etc.etc.
    ....and a super quick paddle shift auto transmission.

The REAL question is will it SATISFY more?
    They're talking about other versions down the line. I'm hoping one of them is a basic naturally aspirated version with H pattern manual.

It seems like almost everybody is so obsessed with having the fastest thing, when in reality there's always going to be somebody else with something faster, no matter what you drive. The most fun cars I've driven have often not been the most powerful versions of the model. I didn't hanker for a 205GTi until I'd driven the 1.6 litre version. The 1.9 didn't impress me.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hi steve

You forgot to mention it has a turbo as well unlike the original. Have you put in an order?? Only 99 coming to Oz.
    Hi Barry,
    I like to try before I buy, but then again I have bought several Renaults without a test drive, let alone sat in one.
    You just know the DNA of Renaults and how they will feel.

So the question is - would I sell the good wife's A110 1600S to buy a new one?
    Well, the old is noisy, smelly, thirsty, has no HVAC to speak of, seats are ordinary, no sound system, etc.
    BUT a drive from Melbourne to Brisbane and back for the RSAE was an ADVENTURE, TORTURE and MEMORABLE.
    I even met a soon to retire public servant who had a Fuego and helped convince him to spend his super on an Alpine..

NO!

Then again, just thought of a brilliant idea.
    Hey, sweetie, you have an Alpine A110.
    So shouldn't I have one too?

YES!!

Quote Originally Posted by davemcbean View Post
    They're talking about other versions down the line. I'm hoping one of them is a basic naturally aspirated version with H pattern manual.................
    Perhaps they should alter the front/rear weight distribution to provide the necessary pendulum effect for the purists.....

P.S. you can only fit three speeds and reverse into an H pattern.....
    27of85 likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Perhaps they should alter the front/rear weight distribution to provide the necessary pendulum effect for the purists.....

Also shrink it down in size to because it has grown considerably over the original.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Why don't they keep the door handles the same, change the front and rear lights a little, cut the roof off, with a hard top, soft top option and give us a true modern Floride.
    How many Florides would I have to sell to afford one though.
    JohnW likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post

I'm actually not one of those older is better people.

One of the reasons I love the 1997 Honda Civic I drive is because it combines a simple 1.6 litre naturally aspirated engine and conventional manual box, and yet it's quiet, has air con, has a smooth ride and comfortable seats and gets 7L/100km even if you thrash it all day through the mountains. It's not as fast as my other cars, but it's a more enjoyable drive. The fact that it still feels like new at 400,000km is a bonus.
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

In case anyone else has just skimmed to the end, tldr?

Different strokes for different folks.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

The press reviews are coming out now.
    Google EVO and Auto Express.
    Very favourable so far.
    So us armchair experts and doubters can feel more relaxed.

1000+ Posts

While we are on the subject of softops ,i spotted this64 willys Interlogos aA108 roadster ,[ ne a 110 soft top ],on bring a trailer classifieds ,in the US ,pugs

More info coming out every day. The second video has some track testing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RAbjfaDcH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBT-Y68TGA8
    Last edited by Paul T; 6th December 2017 at 05:42 PM.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Well overly positive initially, so far so good?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

This from Top Gear is telling:

"It’s a car that’ll turn some buyers on, and just as effectively turn others off. For some it won’t wear the right badge or convey the right impression, others will reject it because the power and torque figures appear modest. They just don’t get it and never will. My advice? Make sure what you want is what the Alpine offers, and not just a bid to own something different to a TT or Cayman."

Fellow Frogger!

Alpine A110-17js104637.jpg

Finally gotClick image for larger version. 

Name:	17JS104637.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	101784 some photos of my A110 going around Bathurst. Look's like I'm holding up traffic!!
    SilverGTi_6 and bowie like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like a victory lap to me !

Fellow Frogger!

I wish. once we got to Forest Elbow they were off. Not so good on Saturday- the weather was atrocious and I had to pit twice as the car windows were fogging up badly, especially through the Dipper. See photo.My friends who were driving Mazda MX5s -one a Turbo, the other an ex Targa Tassie car). One did not fare so good on Saturday. The Mazda MX5 Turbo aquaplaned just before pit entry and beached itself in the sand. Went out again later after cleaning up the car, but pitted a lap later with gear selector issues. Spent the rest of the weekend watching us from the balcony of our room at Rydges. The reckoned the A110 squatted really well going through the Chase.

Alpine A110-17js102046.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	17JS102046.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	101789

Fellow Frogger!
    27of85, Steve K and pclio like this.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information