2nd New Race Car in New Zealand
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Johan
  • 1 Post By rubyalpine

Thread: 2nd New Race Car in New Zealand

Default 2nd New Race Car in New Zealand

After a 3 year absence I am trying to join Frans in this season's fun and games.
    At the end of the 2014 season my race engine-here sugested new valves and springs. So the head got a set of new bigger vales and new valve springs and valve guides to stop the smoking habit. The old motor, as last raced in 2014 is put back into service

While Frans used his ingenuity for a bias brake adjuster I went the "easy" way and bought a set of Wilwood pedals. It is still debatable which pedal box is the easiest to install, hanging or floor mount. Well I went for the hanging arrangement, cannot remember why. Got it in and working, the brakes it is. The clutch, well that is a different story as we went from a cable to a hydraulic setup.
    I got a pull slave cylinder from another good mate, cut the clutch rod just before the cable start and cut thread on it. Now I could join the cable to the slave. The only way I could get the clutch to release was to adjust the trust bearing hard up on the pressure plate. There is a race to run dammit! (last race 2014) We will sort the cooked bearing later.

Advertisement

LATER: Found these two mounting points on the side of the gearbox,as luck will have it on the correct side of the box. Drilled and taped them then made a mechanical link to increase the stroke of the slave, On the photo the slave cylinder rod end is close to the cable mount. Had to adjust it to the 3rd hole to get a working clutch, a tad hard but it works with play on the fork.

Also a photo of Reno in sickbay.
    While I was away they changed the rules and I don't think my old homemade fuel tank would make the grade, the new improved version keeps the brake tower company. Enough for now I'll bore you with the rest later.

2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-20171007_164016.jpg2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-20171105_174658.jpg2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-20171003_153608.jpg2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-20160710_181037.jpg
    Kim Luck, Frans and JohnW like this.
    1965 Renault R8 :
    2003 Citroen C5 v6

I don't have a bucket list,
    but my fxxket list is a mile long

All good news, Johan. What engine are you using?
    The more rear engined Renaults on track, the better.

Henry
    Frans likes this.
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Good on you starting this new thread. Remember the saying I told you "a peacock sitting on its tail is just a turkey" Tell them all about it. There is a good video of our last race together with the 2 Gs running side by side for a good 4 or 5 laps. I remember Peter Ball mentioning it to me that the commentators' comments were so good about the 2 Renaults, he had to leave whatever he was doing to go and have a look.

Regards, Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Good on you starting this new thread. Remember the saying I told you "a peacock sitting on its tail is just a turkey" Tell them all about it. There is a good video of our last race together with the 2 Gs running side by side for a good 4 or 5 laps. I remember Peter Ball mentioning it to me that the commentators' comments were so good about the 2 Renaults, he had to leave whatever he was doing to go and have a look. Regards, Frans.
    Wonderful! And here I am crowing about just fitting braided brake hoses to a standard system. Of course it is just for standard use.....

A trip to NZ is long overdue!

Thanks for this fascinating material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-left-hand-front-braided-hose.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

And on this subject, how do you get those front end hose clips 100% back in place? I haven't found a way yet. My photo shows they are in tightly, but not fully home.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi John,

I use a pair of gas pliers opened enough to use the fitting as abase and the top jaw on the top of the clip. Then the gas pliers makes you feel real strong!

Regards, Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi John,

I use a pair of gas pliers opened enough to use the fitting as abase and the top jaw on the top of the clip. Then the gas pliers makes you feel real strong!

Regards, Frans
    Thanks for that Frans. I'd love a photo please - I was thinking of some sort of arrangement with pliers but couldn't quite get my mind around what they'd look like - none of mine are quite the right shape.

The photo is my "adjusted" square shank screwdriver to tap out the clips and with a groove (Dremel) to lever the front ones back half-way. Works really well.

Whoops, didn't mean to highjack the thread! But I hope it is closely enough related not to cause offence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd New Race Car in New Zealand-p1040530.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information