• 11 Post By R8 Dream
  • 1 Post By G4ME
  • 2 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By R8 Dream
  • 2 Post By schlitzaugen
  • 2 Post By Brianbcs

Thread: R8 at Mt Tarrengower

Default R8 at Mt Tarrengower

After an absence of seven years, I took my 'new' R8 out to the historic hillclimb at Mt Tarrengower in Maldon near Castlemaine in Victoria 2 weeks ago.
    My best time after only 2 runs (didn't do the 3rd as someone dropped a hole and spilt oil all over the track) was 56.2 sec. Seeing the only 2 other renaults on the day - John Hardy in his A110 1600 - did 49.1 and a stock 4CV did it in 1min 58secs, I was happy with my day.
    With a little more practice and tuning (as its only been roughed in - no mechanic or dyno tune yet) I think I should be able to do a little better.
    Overall had a great day!
    Off to the Geelong Revival in a few weeks on the 26 Nov for more fun!

R8 at Mt Tarrengower-image.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by R8 Dream; 2nd November 2017 at 09:59 AM.
    COL, Kim Luck, Sunroof and 8 others like this.

Great result Angelo and I'm so pleased to see you back on track. I'm looking forward to catching up at Geelong.
    Cheers...Paul
    R8 Dream likes this.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Hi there Angelo and Paul.
    I am looking forward to seeing both you fellers at the Geelong Revival. I'm a bit disappointed I won't have "BARNIE" there but there is a host of reasons I just can't finish it in time. Same time next year (health permitting) it will be there with bells on.
    See you in 24 days time.
    Phil

R8 at Mt Tarrengower-dscn2151.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    After an absence of seven years, I took my 'new' R8 out to the historic hillclimb at Mt Tarrengower in Maldon near Castlemaine in Victoria 2 weeks ago.
    My best time after only 2 runs (didn't do the 3rd as someone dropped a hole and spilt oil all over the track) was 56.2 sec. Seeing the only 2 other renaults on the day - John Hardy in his A110 1600 - did 49.1 and a stock 4CV did it in 1min 58secs, I was happy with my day.
    With a little more practice and tuning (as its only been roughed in - no mechanic or synonym tune yet) I think I should be able to do a little better.
    Overall had a great day!
    Off to the Geelong Revival in a few weeks on the 26 Nov for more fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	101098
    R8 Dream and G4ME like this.

Looking the goods Angelo

Is that a grin I detect in that photo? I bet you were grinning the whole time
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Looking the goods Angelo

Is that a grin I detect in that photo? I bet you were grinning the whole time
    Yes, from ear to ear!
    J-man likes this.

Hi everybody.

These cars are very photogenic. Especially in blue. Always takes me by surprise.

Is the car modified in any way (what engine)? I am more interested in the power department than suspension/etc.

This is because I will never have one, but am curious. I have had a R10 as my first car and found that with 54 horses (it had an R12 engine) you can have a lot of fun in it, and with a little bit of tailwind and a conveniently positioned slope it could be faster than you felt comfortable. Going uphill, the fun was different, and because the R12 engine (I have no knowledge of the R8/10 engines) was very comfortable with high revs, it would go amazingly well. I miss it, but if I had a choice today, I would go for a Dauphine and play with that (sorry, I like the geometry/visuals better. BTW, which Dauphine was it that had all round disc brakes? The G?).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Hi everybody.

These cars are very photogenic. Especially in blue. Always takes me by surprise.

Is the car modified in any way (what engine)? I am more interested in the power department than suspension/etc.

This is because I will never have one, but am curious. I have had a R10 as my first car and found that with 54 horses (it had an R12 engine) you can have a lot of fun in it, and with a little bit of tailwind and a conveniently positioned slope it could be faster than you felt comfortable. Going uphill, the fun was different, and because the R12 engine (I have no knowledge of the R8/10 engines) was very comfortable with high revs, it would go amazingly well. I miss it, but if I had a choice today, I would go for a Dauphine and play with that (sorry, I like the geometry/visuals better. BTW, which Dauphine was it that had all round disc brakes? The G?).
    We must meet for a coffee and a chat..... Reduce your loneliness....

The R12 was only a sleeved out R8/10 engine. No Dauphines in Oz had discs although the Dauphine G had slightly wider drums (9" in the old money, so good stoppers). O/S, late Dauphines had R8 discs.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Back when I was a kid (O/S), I remember the Dauphines running around the place everywhere (we imported a lot of them, some R10, a lot of R8 and R16 - this is before the arrival of the R12). We just never called them "Dauphine" because they were all Gordini (which is what we called them, and we had no idea about "Dauphine"). I can't remember having seen one without disc brakes (but didn't look).

This is what all of the Dauphines I remember looked like (even the colour is the only one I remember):

http://www.history-of-cars.com/image...-gordini-1.jpg
    bowie and J-man like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Very nice Dauphine G, Schlitz. About the same Rouge Trinidad as my R8. And a bit of the 'flash Harry' on the embellishments and chrome grill.

I remember calling them 'Gordinis' in Adelaide too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Well done Angelo! Hope to meet up at Geelong.
    cheers
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    Well done Angelo! Hope to meet up at Geelong.
    cheers
    Brian
    Thanks, will you be competing?

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe in about 2 years when the R8 is finished!!
    JohnW and R8 Dream like this.

Likewise Phil. We may have another "special" car on track if it is ready in time too. Certainly one I am looking forward to.
    See you in a few weeks.
    ...Paul

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi there Angelo and Paul.
    I am looking forward to seeing both you fellers at the Geelong Revival. I'm a bit disappointed I won't have "BARNIE" there but there is a host of reasons I just can't finish it in time. Same time next year (health permitting) it will be there with bells on.
    See you in 24 days time.
    Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2151.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	101099
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Glad you had a good day, I tried to catch you for a look at the R8 but was glued to the seat in the timing van most of the weekend.

Thread Information