New member looking at Renaultís for 1sr t seeking advice on Fluence and Latitude
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeanSponty

Thread: New member looking at Renaultís for 1sr t seeking advice on Fluence and Latitude

Tadpole

Default New member looking at Renaultís for 1sr t seeking advice on Fluence and Latitude

Hi all, brand new member so may not have posted this in the best place. Mods please point me in the right direction if I need to post this elsewhere.

I have owned a 504 pug, 80s BMWs and British cars such as Rover 75 so I appreciate well built cars with good features. My only Renault experience was a R12 my late fathe4 had in the early 70s from new, great car that went like a rocket, he hit more speeding tickets in 3 years of owning it than he did the previous 30!

Iím looking at Renaultís for the 1st time for an upcoming car purchase for myself to replace a terrific 2001 Rover75 that is now becoming a money pit, albeit a super comfortable leather and walnut money pit.

re Fluence... anything special to be aware of when test driving them? Any common problems to look out for?
    what klm/yr should timing belt be changed as google search hasnít revealed much.
    if I went for one thatís done 100,000 klms what should I be wary of ? (I know service records are vital at least)

Advertisement

re Latitude, when should timing belt be changed on diesel?
    ive never owned a diesel before, are there any special Renault or factors I should look out for or any Latitude quirks I should be aware of?

i look forward to some good advice from true enthusiasts

Hi, I don't have any answers or suggestions, but would add another question depending on whether you're looking at an auto or manual.

Are modern (Renault) auto g'boxes anything like the AL4? Because I would avoid one of those like the plague.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Latitudes are made in Korea and are actually Samsung SM5 models. They are apparently used as taxis in S Korea. They have a Nissan gearbox, and Nissan Maxima rear end. The diesel motor is Renault but the V6 petrol is Nissan. There are two models not sure of their individual designations but the top of the range has such things as massaging drivers seat and a few other nice bits. They are great vehicles and seem to have very few issues. My diesel does about 5.6 litres per 100 k's on a trip and over all around 6.5. Mine had faulty toe in/out and wore out a set of tyres fairly quickly 25,000, but the new set is still good. Other than that I have had to replace the battery. That is after 70,000 k's and 4 years plus. See the Latitude section at the top of the Renault forum.

Latitude Hints, Tips and Problems

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Hi, I don't have any answers or suggestions, but would add another question depending on whether you're looking at an auto or manual.

Are modern (Renault) auto g'boxes anything like the AL4?
    No,thankfully

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSponty View Post
    Hi all, brand new member so may not have posted this in the best place. Mods please point me in the right direction if I need to post this elsewhere.

I have owned a 504 pug, 80s BMWs and British cars such as Rover 75 so I appreciate well built cars with good features. My only Renault experience was a R12 my late fathe4 had in the early 70s from new, great car that went like a rocket, he hit more speeding tickets in 3 years of owning it than he did the previous 30!

I’m looking at Renault’s for the 1st time for an upcoming car purchase for myself to replace a terrific 2001 Rover75 that is now becoming a money pit, albeit a super comfortable leather and walnut money pit.

re Fluence... anything special to be aware of when test driving them? Any common problems to look out for?
    what klm/yr should timing belt be changed as google search hasn’t revealed much.
    if I went for one that’s done 100,000 klms what should I be wary of ? (I know service records are vital at least)

re Latitude, when should timing belt be changed on diesel?
    ive never owned a diesel before, are there any special Renault or factors I should look out for or any Latitude quirks I should be aware of?

i look forward to some good advice from true enthusiasts
    Both are orphans, so I suggest you don't pay too much for them and drive them into the ground.

The Latitude suffers insofar as it is bland and forgettable to look at. Think Camry. Lack of advertising means it was never noticed by the public and never sold well. It is an excellent car, well built (by Sumsung Motors in Korea, owned by Renault), and has a lot of Nissan Maxima in its DNA. The (Renault) 2 litre diesel is modern, powerful, and has a timing CHAIN. The auto gearbox is a Nissan JATCO 6 speeder, and won't give you any trouble. Due to its orphan state, try and buy the upspec versions (leather, bum scratchers etc) as they won't be much more than the pauper versions. The petrol V6 comes from the Nissan Maxima (cam chain again) so you can't go wrong with either the petrol or the diesel versions. Personally I would go for the latter.

Dave
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

the Latitude we recently got is a great car, only 3 years old though, and the price was a lot less that you'd pay for a comparable Ford/Holden. 3.5l V6 petrol with real economy figures around 9l/100k, goes like the clappers and runs around corners like it's on rails. Ex rental group the local dealer had, they didn't last long on the lot !

Dunno about the slippery leather though, fabric is still the most comfortable - could get some wool covers I suppose, but I'd need a bank loan to pay for 'em. With all the switches 'n stuff on the seats they'd be sure to have to be custom made....

cheers,
    Bob

Dunno about the slippery leather though, fabric is still the most comfortable - could get some wool covers I suppose, but I'd need a bank loan to pay for 'em. With all the switches 'n stuff on the seats they'd be sure to have to be custom made....
    FWIW Ilana list the covers are available to order. And generally they offer value for money and make a good quality product.

Give them a ring and check, if you are genuinely interested.

Ilana Car Seat Covers
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Tadpole

Thanks Dave!

Tadpole

Yes- I saw the Latitude posted here... the owner of that one appears to have gone missing after a text or two a few days ago and is yet to respond to voicemail message yesterday and follow up text today. Time will tell, the good news is that's there are plenty of options out there, even with the Latitude being the 'orphan' mentioned here... there's enough of them to choose from in the larger cities at a great price, let alone 4 hours away in a regional area. Agree what you mean re the bland design, they are the most UN-Renault style vehicle I've ever seen.

Putting in a plug for the Fluence - bought one for my partner 18 months ago and excellent value being an orphan - yet they are basically a Megane sedan! (Which cost somewhat more!!??). Like the Lattitude, has a timing chain and like the Megane has the Nissan CVT gearbox. Is a smooth drive, handles well, very comfortable seats plus is very economical. Two versions of it, high spec one (Privilege) has a sunroof making the roof lining a bit low for my liking. Also the Privilege has larger diameter alloys making it a harsher ride. (I liked that bit, but my partner preferred the other's ride - so we got a 'basic' spec one). Speedo in basic spec one is analogue, speedo in Privilege is digital (like the Megane).
    Nothing special to look for - the are made in Korea (unlike the Megane) and well put together.

Depends if you like the size, toys and pulling power of the Lattitude or a slightly smaller (but still sizeable), more economical and simpler Fluence.

Cheers
    Bryce
    P.S. Boot in Fluence is huge!
    Last edited by Only19; 1st November 2017 at 08:57 AM.
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Tadpole

Good on you Bryce, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Only19 View Post
    .......Boot in Fluence is huge!
    let's not leave Latitude lacking in that department, it took two Mistral 10L Evaporative Coolers, four six meter rolls of shade mesh and still room to hide a few bags of goodies along the sides a few days ago....

Had to put the Esky on the back seat, you can't win 'em all....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

If you regularly carry back seat passengers then one of my critreas is the space between the B pillar and the rear seat. Mates Comodore, bought at the same time as my Latitude, has such a small gap that getting feet in and out is very difficult and always ends up with mud or scrapes on the rear door card. The Xtrail and other small to medium SUVs have the same problem. Particularly for older people.

Tadpole

Update for anyone who may be interested in this Latitude that another member pointed me towards which I greatly appreciate, which has now been posted here on Aussie Frogs for sale on 4 occasions thru 2017. The car is half way between Adelaide and Melbourne and is unregistered.

Caveat Emptor, buyer beware.

I've gone on to have dealings with the owner the past few days, an older Australian with plenty of thoughts to share without prompting about different races of people, none of them positive. I put up with it and laughed along thru gritted teeth as I was interested in possibly buying his car not his ignorant views.

He grizzles about being mucked around by people, and boasts of having kept 2 prospective buyers deposits when things didn't go to (his) plan despite one person still apparently being interested and the other being a neighbor in his small town. Everything is other people's fault apparently. He might just be unlucky.

Yesterday I said I'd want an independent vehicle check that I'd pay for, which he was open to, prior to any prospective purchase. (As there's no mobile mechanic service in the area, how he'd drive it legally without registration and no Vicroads office for a temporary permit eludes me as he says he's happy to leave it unregistered until its actually sold)

Renault Australia today advised me they hold none of his service details of the past 18mths of ownership (despite his declarations they have everything under the Diamond Warranty) and that the warranty expires months earlier than owner infers.

Today I advised him Renault had none of his service details and asked for photos of service book and the most recent service invoice he'd said was done. Not unreasonable you'd think for a car 400klms away that I can't see for myself. Pretty simple and basic really.

Today he says "don't worry about the car, I've just had too much hassle with people re this car"

In my experience, when simple straightforward things and accurate verifiable information about a car purchase are too difficult for a seller, there's usually a reason, and its rarely what they says it is.

Who knows, it may be the best Renault in Australia and the seller may have a heart of gold, but buying a car doesn't need to be an exercise in dramas, inconsistent information or simple everyday things being just too difficult.

In any event, the seller has now done me a favour I suspect. I'll no doubt see the car as it goes on and off carsales.com.au as its done in the past few weeks, with it off again now.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a great Latitude, Fluence or possibly a Megane, or a Koleos at the outside with low-moderate ks, 2010 or after. If anyone knows of a nice one, please let me know.

Cheers all, Dean

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    jo proffi likes this.

Tadpole

correction, my mistake, the car is up on carsales

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Dean.
    I bought a new Megane DCI Privilege in 2012, on price and practicality. I was doing big miles and wanted something new and the five year warranty attracted me. I googled the reliability of the car and little if anything came up in the way of problems.
    It turned out to be a superb car and I did 70,000 kilometers in just over two years but the lack of rear seat room always frustrated me and one weekend I took a Latitude diesel Privilege for a run and fell in love!!
    The Megane was excellent, needed nothing significant in warranty claims, just a tiny rattle that was fixed completely. From a driving point of view the only criticism was a dead spot which was offputting when pulling up on a crest, then accelerating whilst the car was still in slow forward motion. I got used to it but it was quirky.
    My Latitude appeared whilst I was in the midst of selling the Megane and for a week or so, I had two Renaults.
    I have also just hit 70,000 a day or so ago.
    I don't find the car bland or boring and with the later alloys, I reckon it is very handsome and stylish and I ADORE and thoroughly LOVE this car. In fact, my only worry is crashing it and not being able to replace it.
    It has had a couple of rattles, successfully fixed by the dealer. It also developed a rattle in the sunroof which I thought would be an Alan key job and a tighten. They replaced the sunroof rails and it is fine. No issues with tyres. Mine got about 50,000 kilometers and the rear were still ok when I ditched but I went for a full new set anyway as I got an awesome deal.
    My car was a five thousand kilometer ex Renault executive car from Dandenong. I got from Sale Group in Victoria and drove back to Sydney and had reregistered on the way home across the boarder.
    Every service has been done at Renault, initially at Col Crawford when on the fixed plan, now at McCarrolls and they are very keenly priced and do a fantastic job and it will go to them from now on.
    It is a lovely smooth drive. It is solid. It is very comfortable in the front and back. It is a beautiful cruiser. The boot is huge and I am clean and fussy with mine and it always looks good. Mine does all City driving and I do about 30-40 kilometers per day and I spend about $30 a week on diesel in heavy, stop start traffic. On the highway it gets incredible economy and have hit about 1200ks, hit the distance gauge and told I have 200 left.
    It has a small dead spot too on hard acceleration but nothing like the Megane DCI EDC that I had previously. Once the Latitude is off and running, it literally takes right off and they do zero to one hundred in under ten seconds which is great as they are a big car. Overtaking is awesome and with kick down, the two litre diesel just powers and flies. It is fantastic.
    Look for a really good one and there are a couple on the market now for under twenty grand and at that price they are an incredible bargain.
    Fluence is great too. For me the Latitude really delivers and I cannot speak highly enough of this car. I know another guy in my suburb with one, and his too has been brilliant and he loves his which is five years old. Mine is three.
    Hope this helps and sorry to be long winded. Chris M

Thread Information