• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Koleos questions

Tadpole

Default Koleos questions

Hi all,

Have decided to purchase a used Koleos, downgrading size wise from Nissan patrol. I came across the Koleos as searching for smaller SUV that can tow, with the 2000kg braked tow and 200 kg downball limit and nice options the Koleos wins.

Just wondering though, for those who have towed would I be better off with a 4 x 4? I intend to occasionally tow a horse float, laden 1500 kg tops generally within a 50 km zone.

The car would be family use for next 5 years then become daughters' first so pretty well staying with us until it runeth no longer. Looking at buying under 100k km-my Patrol was at 306k km - the koleos, if serviced as expected, should reach 200k km shouldn't it?

I am pushing the limits but one more Q! I am in SA, have my eye on a QLD vehicle,2009 Privilege ( got sucked in with the crŤme interior). Can't leave the kids to check it out so thinking of engaging a pre purchase inspection- anything in particular I should have them specifically look at?

Advertisement

Sure appreciate any sage words of advice,

Justine

Fellow Frogger!

Hello JayCli - great decision to invest in a Koleos, a vehicle that represents superb value for money. Now, 2009 is a long time ago. Would it not be to your advantage (and you daughter's) to buy a slightly younger model? Perhaps a Phase III from ca. 2013 onwards?
    As far as inspection goes, the obvious things are mileage, proven service history, general appearance in and out, tyres, and where it was used, like city or country, towing, four wheel driving etc. I bought one that was an ex-Budget rental with low mileage, but showed distinct evidence of mis-use by careless renters. But, that was compromised by a lower price, which I was willing to accept.
    For a pre-inspection in Queensland, contact the RACQ. They do a proper assessment at a reasonable cost.
    Another suggestion: have you searched through the list of Renault supported "Approved" used Koleoses on the Renault Australia website? Worth a look. You might find something closer to you there. Once you have your Koleos, you can find lots of technical and other support in the 'Koleos Model Specific Forum' at the top of the Renault Forum page that you had already discovered according to your previous post.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Last edited by Breitie; 5th October 2017 at 08:09 AM.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Tadpole

Breitie,

Yes I did think a younger model would be more sensible, I had figured that with updates the specs of a dynamique would not be far off an older privilege for near same $$. Maybe I shall have to bid farewell to that beige interior .

Thanks for welcome and advice- did not think of RACQ and will look into Renault website for approved used.

Hello justine,
    Not all koleos are created equal when it comes to towing,i believe.
    Mine is 6 speed auto diesel 4x4 but i think it has a lower towing spec than 2 ton.
    Towing 2 ton with a 1600kg car does not seem god policy to me.

Jo
    JayCli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Hello justine,
    Not all koleos are created equal when it comes to towing,i believe.
    Mine is 6 speed auto diesel 4x4 but i think it has a lower towing spec than 2 ton.
    Towing 2 ton with a 1600kg car does not seem god policy to me.

Jo
    The early Diesel Auto's have a tow limit of 1650 Kg, braked, manuals and petrols 2000 Kg, braked.
    JayCli likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Fellow Frogger!

Hello again JayCli (Justine I believe), I think I found the Koleos in Qld that you have your eye on, with that lovely beige interior, with rego plate 794WDL (is that the one?). Looking at the pics it appears in good shape, claimed 'one owner' and 'dealer serviced', comes with sunroof, 4WD, auto, tow bar, acceptable mileage of 94130km, in spivvy black, at the price of $12,900 as a 'private sale'. I also notice that it has been for sale for a while, which should suggest that an offer may be considered. Believe me, I know how hard it is to sell a second hand Koleos in Queensland (How do I know this? Don't ask!) This car cost $43K when new (top of the range!) and Redbook quotes $8,200-$9,900 for a 'private sale' today. This car lives in the 'leafy' upmarket suburb of Fig Tree pocket, and is probably used to pulling horse trailers!
    The seller obviously thinks his car is 'above average' (everyone does!) which may be so but cuts no ice in the real world. Also, the rego runs out in January 18. Try (tactfully!) offering $8000 and see if you can do a deal under $10K. You may drive away laughing!
    Last edited by Breitie; 6th October 2017 at 04:42 PM.

Tadpole

Hi Breitie,

Yep that's the one. I had arrived at same conclusion on suburb -likely indicative of regular servicing care etc. Can you really offer that much under the asking price, guess they can only say no! It has been up for awhile, good six weeks at least -I should stop procrastinating and make a move..........

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JayCli View Post
    Hi Breitie,

Yep that's the one. I had arrived at same conclusion on suburb -likely indicative of regular servicing care etc. Can you really offer that much under the asking price, guess they can only say no! It has been up for awhile, good six weeks at least -I should stop procrastinating and make a move..........
    Of course you can! It's a free world. You can offer any amount you want. The objective is to elicit a 'counter' offer or a refusal, whatever. Then you know where you stand. And a counter offer need not be final but only the start of 'negotiations'. Another thing to remember is that according to redbook.com the 'trade price' from a dealer for this car is a mere $5500 to $7000. Whatever you offer is likely to be better than this. Go hard! And good luck!

Hi Breitie,

6 weeks on the market, great!!
    Make an offer and let them sit on it.
    Like most renaults for sale, You are probably the only buyer.
    Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    6 weeks on the market, great!!
    Make an offer and let them sit on it.
    Like most renaults for sale, You are probably the only buyer.
    Jo
    Wise words Jo! From someone who obviously knows the score. I am keen to know how this proposition plays out for Justine. Considering the low mileage of this Koleos, ie approximately 10,000km per annum, and the apparent condition, it may be a good buy. I suspect it is a his-and-hers car and did not travel beyond the local school, supermarket and pony club. On the other hand, it is still a ten year old car with the unavoidable deterioration that occurs over such a long period, depending of whether it was parked indoors or in the Qld sun, and of course technical obsolescence, although I don't think much has changed mechanically.

For that money, with little or no depreciation, you can afford the occasional repair....

Provided the RACQ inspection turns out OK I'd be looking closely at the interior AND exterior, taking exactly your point about sun damage on trim and plastics. Was the car garaged? Ask the question, and persist with it. The condition details might answer that question (corrosion on windscreen wiper arms, for example, or fading/yellowing of lenses, external clear plastics, clear coat etc.

We've only ever bought one car less than 10 years old..... Mostly it has worked out pretty well.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The R8?
    KB

Ah, three cars.... I forgot that the R8 was only 8 when we bought it and the Xantia was 6! Plus one new Peugeot 306. Whoops. Still, that's 51 years since I was 16 when I bought the 750 for $60. It was 15 years old going on 50 by its worn out condition. I reckon a properly maintained 10-year old Koleos would be quite good value.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Hi John, Appreciate the input, did now even think about the QLD sun though someone mentioned flood damage to watch for! Don't think the owner will move much given he dropped the car by $400 on gumtree only. I do think it was the Mrs car, noticed the head rest down on drivers side. I did see a 2011 in Perth but with 140km on clock, ex Dept Conservation so maybe highway km's. Shopping interstate isn't easy!

I'd have thought you'd be able to find one S/H in Adelaide? They did sell quite a few of them.

Good luck anyway. I wouldn't touch and ex DoC one from WA as you don't really know what they did with it, even though highway might be most of the km.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Justine, the suspense is killing me! Have you taken Jo proffi's suggestion and actually made an offer? Remember that the new rego will cost you about $700 and getting the car to South Australia $600 and new comprehensive insurance approx. $600. Pending a favourable RACQ report, I would offer $9000, take it or leave it. The you can take an el-cheapo flight to Brisbane, have a bit of a holiday, visit the kids, and take a leisurely drive back.

Tadpole

Hi Breitie, its killing me too-I have lodged query twice via carsales method and had no reply. Oddly the vehicle is no longer on Gumtree or carsguide. Sounds like a no goer and back to the drawing board!

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Breitie, its killing me too-I have lodged query twice via carsales method and had no reply. Oddly the vehicle is no longer on Gumtree or carsguide. Sounds like a no goer and back to the drawing board!
    Hi Justine, as far as I can see, this vehicle is still on the <carsales> site, as before. Anyway, thanks for involving us in your quest and providing some relief from the 'usual' chatter. Perhaps you should really pay a little more, say $18K - $20 and go for a later model Koleos. Should be able to find several at that price. Good luck! And, if you do finally get your Koleos, let us know. Cheers!

PS: there is another very nice 2011 Privilege 4x4, Rego 295RSG, in ultra silver with grey upholstery and 101K on the clock, for $16,900, this time at Biggera Waters on the Gold Coast. (better place for a holiday than Fig Tree pocket!)

PPS: I have posted an enquiry for the black one on <carsales> to arrange an inspection. You have me intrigued now - might just buy the thing for my daughter! After all, the little mobility scooter I bought recently cost almost as much! (I am an old guy with nothing better to do, you see)
    Last edited by Breitie; 11th October 2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: New information

Check out Tow Car Awards

Renault Koleos | Tow Car Awards
    Summary: Expensive to Run, but good tow car
    JayCli likes this.

Tadpole

Hi Breitie,

Its odd as remains on car sales, maybe he just withdrew it from the others? Let me know if you get a response, maybe its my interstate postcode that puts him off! I had considered later model, just the $ and Km's that was attractive on this one-I am a conservative spender as a solo parent so need to stick in budget- until I win the lotto of course

Tadpole

Thanks for that- I got the impression they were decent among the mid size SUV's for towing so nice to see it in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Check out Tow Car Awards

Renault Koleos | Tow Car Awards
    Summary: Expensive to Run, but good tow car
    Be aware though that it is an English website and their towing differs significantly to ours (generally speaking). They would also be comparing it to smaller engined manual cars as comparisons. The koleos may stack up well as a towcar when compared to a 1.3L fiesta!
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Be aware though that it is an English website and their towing differs significantly to ours (generally speaking). They would also be comparing it to smaller engined manual cars as comparisons. The koleos may stack up well as a towcar when compared to a 1.3L fiesta!
    The cabin is well built and the design is attractive, but the back is short on legroom.
    The boot wouldnít take a full load of luggage, either.

Economy is a disappointing 37.7mpg on the combined cycle.

What a crock... how can you be disappointed with nearly 38 mpg (7.5L/100k) as an average?
    How many tow cars,TOWING are going to do that?
    I also suppose they did the test with 4 x 6"5" people judging the seating?

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post

The boot wouldnít take a full load of luggage, either.
    Ah, So they've met my wife and her luggage!!!!

Jo

Where does the accordion go Jo?
    KB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information