R12 gear linkage - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: R12 gear linkage

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    There's a brand new one of those on ebay fr, I'll see if I can find it for you. (humblest apologies to the apostrophe police if I got it wrong)
    That apostrophe is correct, a diminutive of 'there is'. My frustration is with things like "a fox has two eye's". Plurals do not need apostrophes, as many fruit and veg places don't seem to understand. "Carrot's" is one horrible example that comes to mind, painfully. I know I'm a sad case.....

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I found with Pieces d'origine parts, the blocks lasted circa 160K km. Repro stuff is of questionable quality in a lot of cases. When replacing them again, place a couple of stout zip ties around the steel. This will give the rubber some sort of support, and will likely give some warning when the shift becomes imprecise before the car becomes immobile.

Bolting the two halves together will make the car more prone to jumping out of gear over rough surfaces, especially if the engine and gearbox mounts are soft.
    Hello Simon,

I have no idea if these were Pieces d'origine or aftermarket. They weren't bagged when I got them and there aren't any numbers stamped on painted on them that I could see. This might be indicative of them being aftermarket.

I did have 1/4" nylon zip ties around the coupling, that's probably why only one side let go. It was a bit difficult finding reverse when I got to work but it went in eventually. This isn't unusual and reverse has often been a struggle (probably because the couplings were always on the way out). Today I found one of the zip ties in the car park. It was still done up so must have stretched and worked it's way loose. I was going to put some stainless steel hose clamps around the coupling but didn't have any of the right size at the time so it was going to be a job for another day (which unfortunately never happened). I think I recall seeing in my parts manual a plate that bolts over the coupling that holds it together but I've never seen this on any 12 I've ever come across. It shows it wasn't an uncommon problem if Renault went to the trouble of designing a fix.

The engine and gearbox mounts are probably contaminated with oil are are likely to have gone hard rather than soft. Jumping out of gear I think I can live with better than have no gears. The 12 only ever goes on tarmac, and being a TL, sedately at that. There may be a pothole every now and then but not a lot. Suppose if I don't make any permanent changes I could always go back to the silentblocs if the gear jumping proves to be a problem.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Hmm. I still wonder about alignment if you are questioning the mounts' condition. We just never saw this problem with two R12s over quite a few years and never replaced the pads.

Internal issue with the gearbox? The only symptoms I experienced with these gearboxes was gear-changing getting easier, I supposed as the synchro springs weakened with high mileage, so I have my doubts.

All a bit odd - I do sympathise with the frustration!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

That will most likely have the new style (most likely) after market rubbers, so no real benefit.

I have had Stuey's wagon, and he did indeed change the rubbers to two steel bushings and I didn't see any problem. Engine and gearbox mounts were very good though, so that may have contributed to keeping the vibrations down.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Wow 24 Euro, that's cheap. That's what they usually ask just for the rubber connectors.
    But they don't ship to Australia and we still have the weak link in that all that's holding the too parts together are two pieces of 3/4" rubber.
    For now, I've ditched the rubber mounts and bolted the two halves together with a piece of 20mm square steel tube in place of the mounts. I'll see how I go with that. If I get bad vibrations I'll change back to rubbers.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

That's odd, when I looked on ebay it said they did ship to Oz.

If in doubt, ask them?

Anyway, you might be prepared to live with it as you've now done the deed! At least it is reversible. Hope it's quiet enough and stays in gear.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Try to use the sway bar link nolathane bushings like I suggested and do away with the crappy rubber with poorly glued metal.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information