• 1 Post By REN TIN TIN
  • 1 Post By bob

Thread: wiper blades

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default wiper blades

G'day,

silly questions time.

The blades on the Latitude look to be held by the horizontal "U" shaped hook style, with a flip up latch on top of the blade.

Advertisement

Flipping the latch up does not allow 'easy' sliding off of the blades - is there another lock on these ?

thanks,
    Bob

2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

At 1.17 you can see him removing the old one

​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

I know that I'm a dull old fart, but not totally gone, the video method is totally obvious from just looking at the buggers on the car. If it was that easy they'd be off by now....

Have to have a closer look, they're hanging on somewhere. Maybe they've been there far too long and just super sticky !!

cheers,
    Bob

Turning the blades 90 degrees to the wiper arm and pushing it back down the arm to release its' spindle from the u-hook doesn't work?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

haven't tried 90 yet - not going out there now though, it's damn near snowing, outdoors temp is dropping like a stone !

cheers,
    Bob

It took me an hour to work out how to open my Leatherman the first time so I hear you...

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

haven't tried 90 yet - not going out there now though, it's damn near snowing, outdoors temp is dropping like a stone !

cheers,
    Bob
    Bob wait until tomorrow or when the weather is warmer/visibility increases. Load up the wood burner and enjoy a night indoors.
    I think the collective wisdom on Aussie Frogs would be "We're too old for this cold shit."
    Brendan.
    ps Select a robust Red grape juice.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

OK, changed the mongrels, it takes the froggies to devise a way to turn something incredibly simple into complex....

Yes, the 90 thing is important, I think that might be releasing the hidden catch at the end of the turn-back on the U piece but it still doesn't release from there, just gives you a little movement to clear the catch. Back to flat along the arm to get it off the rest of the way....

Well, that's how it worked with whatever brand that it was fitted with.

Replacements are elcheapos, but rubber. I suspect the ones fitted were silicon, been there before, rubbish streaky things, they ought to be banned.

cheers,
    Bob
    Kim Luck likes this.

1000+ Posts

Bob

Next challenge, change headlights globe, I wonder if Renault have worked out a way to make that more difficult too!!

Ken

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Ken,

I'm not up that challenge just yet....

It's bound to be a horrid exercise, when you consider some of the stuff that they have in the design rules you'd reckon that the ability to be able to change a light-globe in the dark and rain at the side of the road would be some sort of priority.

To be honest, I haven't looked at that one, I'm just assuming that it'll be a typical modern car.....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Bob

Next challenge, change headlights globe, I wonder if Renault have worked out a way to make that more difficult too!!

Ken
    I know, they could go back to sealed beam lights.
    Not only would they be harder to change, but they'd also be harder to find and cost four times as much.
    Oh joy!
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default one plus !

G'day,

I suppose many modern cars have this problem. On the latitude the wiper arms will foul the bonnet if you lift them high enough to turn the blade to 90, so they provide for the stalk to be moved to the 'high' position where the blades will move to the middle of the sweep and stop - if the motor isn't running....

So, some things do get better. This would have been handy for wiper operations on any car I've had...

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    I know, they could go back to sealed beam lights.
    Not only would they be harder to change, but they'd also be harder to find and cost four times as much.
    Oh joy!
    You might be right RTT, but more likely with LED elements and perhaps cheaper than the old style, but can manufacturers of the cars make them easy to remove and refit a spare on the road on a wet and rainy night. Galling to read in an owner manual that such changing of bulbs is best left to be done by a dealership.....

G'day Ken,

I'm not up that challenge just yet....

It's bound to be a horrid exercise, when you consider some of the stuff that they have in the design rules you'd reckon that the ability to be able to change a light-globe in the dark and rain at the side of the road would be some sort of priority.

To be honest, I haven't looked at that one, I'm just assuming that it'll be a typical modern car.....

cheers,
    Bob
    On a similar topic.

On my ex Japanese V6 people mover. I purchased a set of spark plugs and was somewhat dismayed when I discovered the rear bank of cylinders required the inlet manifold to be removed in order to remove and replace the plugs.

I then understood why the vehicle had original plugs fitted at 80,000km.

What was expected to take 15 minutes, ended up taking almost a day.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

COL

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    On a similar topic.

On my ex Japanese V6 people mover. I purchased a set of spark plugs and was somewhat dismayed when I discovered the rear bank of cylinders required the inlet manifold to be removed in order to remove and replace the plugs.

I then understood why the vehicle had original plugs fitted at 80,000km.

What was expected to take 15 minutes, ended up taking almost a day.
    That is pretty much standard practice on V6 engines of this century, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Mitsubishi are just some brands that come to mind.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

well, maybe not quite as bad, but bad enough.

The second vehicle here is a trusty, no, not rusty, BA 'ute. 24v v8, a fairly rare breed this lot - especially with 6s manual attached. Anyway, the plugs on these things are cheap enough, but, the oldies tend to come out in three bits with a little 'ferrule' left deep in the plug 'ole. Necessitates the obtaining of a special tool kit to extract all the bits.....

Yep, got the kit, local mechanic hasn't been game enough yet to give it a go.... nope, me too...

cheers,
    Bob

no iphone, just Linux

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Wiper blade update...

G'day,

OK, I got these fellas "HOOK Aero Wiper Blades Pair of 24inch (600mm) & 16inch (400mm)" from eBay seller "mycarperformanceonline", links keep changing on greedbay, easier to just search the description.

wiper blades-s-l400.jpg

natural rubber and $20 posted.

No more silicon streaks and great wipers - I don't expect them to last long at that price but we probably should change them at least once a year anyway. No complaints...

cheers,
    Bob

G'day,

OK, I got these fellas "HOOK Aero Wiper Blades Pair of 24inch (600mm) & 16inch (400mm)" from eBay seller "mycarperformanceonline", links keep changing on greedbay, easier to just search the description.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	99982

natural rubber and $20 posted.

No more silicon streaks and great wipers - I don't expect them to last long at that price but we probably should change them at least once a year anyway. No complaints...

cheers,
    Bob
    These are only plastic backed rather than the metal of the Bosch and other premium types.
    But once the rubber (or silicone) blade wears out it doesn't matter how good the arm is, the blade isn't refillable.
    Even $20 for the plastic ones is a bit high, you'll find them for less.
    You'll probably have to replace them twice a year but at $20 per set who cares.
    shanadoo likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Update....

G'day,

so the $20 blades have had their lifetime, say 10 months. Tell tale is they start to chatter, as it progresses you can see the rubber blade moulding breaking away from its backing. It starts from the centre and works out to the ends.

Silicon would probably be tougher, but silicon blades are crap blades.

For natural rubber $2/month [including post] is probably worth it....

And, yes, after much swearing and cursing I had to come back into here to find out how I got the mongrels off last time....

cheers,
    Bob
    Kenfuego likes this.

1000+ Posts

Brand new wiper blades, genuine Volkwagen parts for sons VW chattered from new.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Brand new wiper blades, genuine Volkwagen parts for sons VW chattered from new.
    it's a miserable $20 to try an alternative....

It's a wonder that the Renault ones weren't replaced with 'real' ones at the last service, one of them was exhibiting stress back then. S'pose it proves that they don't do a proper check at service time....

cheers,
    Bob

Try some isopropyl alcohol on your windscreen first, removing the baked on oils and shite.
    Once done it may negative the need for replacement...

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Thread Information