Factory stereo PIN codes
  • Help

Default Factory stereo PIN codes

I'm looking at buying an upgraded factory Renault stereo from a wreckers but they inform me they don't have the PIN number for it.

Can this PIN be sourced using the Renault Dialogys software ?

Or am I at the mercy of the stealers getting the PIN code ?

Or is there another way to get the PIN code ?

Cheers

Justin

Advertisement
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Who are the 'stealers'? If you can get the rego number, better still the VIN number from the wreck, then it is a simple matter of getting the radio PIN code from a Renault dealer. Should not cost anything.

On the other hand, if the Handbook/Service book is still with the car, it might be listed in there.

Sorry Breite it does not work like that.
    1. Vehicles registration number means nothing.
    2. Vehicle's VIN details have to go back to production records and that takes somebodies time and time costs money especially if you are going back some years.
    3. No. Vehicles manufacturer's instruction in the "vehicle's pouch" of vehicles details is explicit - do not leave "Radio Card in vehicle" so, no radio security code will be found in car! (nevertheless, you could be lucky that some owner did the wrong thing and recorded it in the Owner's Manual).

I tried to find the security code for a Phillips radio from a Xantia that I purchased from the wreckers and came across somebody in Oz that could help; all he needed was details from the radio itself - was not interested in the Vehicle it came from. Sorry but name and number of this guy in in my busted phone.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Who are the 'stealers'? If you can get the rego number, better still the VIN number from the wreck, then it is a simple matter of getting the radio PIN code from a Renault dealer. Should not cost anything.

On the other hand, if the Handbook/Service book is still with the car, it might be listed in there.

1000+ Posts

FWIW. I recently had to get the code for my Scenic radio. A code was written in the owners book but either was wrong or didn't work for me. When I took it for a service I asked them to find the correct code and put it in. Which they did with no charge except perhaps hidden in the labour charge. The registration number for my car would work as that is what the Renault agent looks up to find me on their computer. However I believe they then use a VIN number to get the code from where ever.

The Renault dealers will have the PIN if you have the VIN but obviously that's no good if the radios been changed or no VIN.

I've got a code calculator on my computer at home.
    I think it might only work on the Philips/VDO radios though.
    It needs the serial number that's printed on the side of the radio.
    I used it on my Scenic and it worked okay, haven't tried it on other types.
    Send me a PM with the serial number and I can give it a try.
    Got nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

RTT - PM sent.

No manual / owners book available - it always amazes me how these are so quick to disappear from wrecks, but I'm guessing the wreckers don't want you identifying / chasing the previous owner for some reason.

I can source the VIN but not sure if I can source the rego. I figure the rego is likely to change much more readily than the VIN so if the pin was tied to anything I'd guess the VIN would be more likely - especially when this is likely to be something configured from the factory where they know VIN's but can't possibly know rego's.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I recently purchased a 2015 Captur from interstate. So I went to the local dealer, after I changed over the rego, and made contact so I could transfer the warranty etc to myself. They looked up the computer(out of my sight) and checked the details of the car, and put in the new rego number. So this seems to be a detail they do keep. However the only thing they gave me was the radio pin number and instructions to register online with Renault as the owner ??
    So the radio pin was found by the Vin without any problem for a newish car but I had some papers to show it was mine.
    Jaahn
    PS I wrote the pin in the book of course as well as recorded it on the paperwork. Who steals cars for the radio these days ??? Who would know how to pull the dash unit out of a modern car ? Who even steals a Renno
    Last edited by jaahn; 25th August 2017 at 09:57 AM.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Ballarat Renault didn't have any problem giving me the codes for our recent pre loved latitude, sourced via the VIN number on the service PC out the back, not the office one.

I haven't anything but praise for this lot so far, of course they have us on the warranty book for the next couple of years so I guess that they maybe need to be nice to me....

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    FWIW. I recently had to get the code for my Scenic radio. A code was written in the owners book but either was wrong or didn't work for me. When I took it for a service I asked them to find the correct code and put it in. Which they did with no charge except perhaps hidden in the labour charge. The registration number for my car would work as that is what the Renault agent looks up to find me on their computer. However I believe they then use a VIN number to get the code from where ever.
    Dear JAJEA, thank you for your response, albeit erroneous. Take note of replies from others that clearly show the facts, eg. that the Rego leads to the VIN and the VIN leads to the radio code. Unless the radio has been replaced of course. Worked for me. No hassles.

Any dealer worth his salt will require proof of ownership, rightfully so, otherwise there wouldn't be any point to security coded radios.

IMO, N5GTi6 would be advised to have clear evidence of the purchase of the radio from the wrecker, along with the VIN number which N5GTi6 has already said is available (presumably from the wrecker), and evidence the car has been written off, etc.
    Maybe the dealer will require a Statutory Declaration to that effect, or a written statement from the wrecker.

Any Renault dealer should be able to provide the PIN given the VIN and Proof of Ownership.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

From my days as a Dealer ( 205 , 405 , 406 , BX , Xantia , XM , etc ) the radios were fitted locally .
    to get a radio code you need the radio serial number and had to phone Sime Darby , Ateco and the code was on a list compiled by the predelivery firm and was simply looked up and read out over the phone.
    The VIN was useless as many radios were shaped around at dealers to fix faulty cassette players on the showroom floor.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

1000+ Posts

In one of the R19 the Blaupunkt radio was not working and i had no PIN. Took the radio to Blaupunkt and they gave me the PIN (for a charge) no other questions asked.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Sure, the Renault workshop can look up the PIN in their computer provided it's the original radio that came with the car. If you have a new-ish car then Renault would probably be your first port of call for the PIN number. They might make one jump through hoops to prove ownership which is fair enough.

The radios head units are pretty much useless on their own these days so theft isn't that much of a problem
    You need the remote display panel and the steering wheel controls (and if it's a changer, the changer box) so the only use they'd have is to replace a non-functioning or damaged unit. Even if you can get the radio and the controls, and the harness out the head unit would be DIN standard but everything else would be bespoke for a particular car.
    Of course the whole car could be stolen but then the thief would have the VIN number and can just call Renault like everyone else looking for a PIN. Or the thief could just be an arsehole and rip out the radio just to be destructive in which case it will probably end up in the nearest bin. Then the car owner will have to find a replacement and they'd legitimately need a PIN that doesn't tie back to a VIN.
    Personally, I don't see that there's much danger in having radio PIN numbers accessible for a maybe 10 - 15 - 20 year old car. It's the legitimate owner that's usually inconvenienced.

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thanks Breitie; you were lucky that you were dealing with an original and possibly a later model vehicle.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Breitie View Post
    Dear JAJEA, thank you for your response, albeit erroneous. Take note of replies from others that clearly show the facts, eg. that the Rego leads to the VIN and the VIN leads to the radio code. Unless the radio has been replaced of course. Worked for me. No hassles.

I have had my 2001 scenic since new. During this time there have been two occasions where the radio required the pin to be re-entered. I simply rang the Renault Head Office on both occasions, told them the car particulars and they gave me the code over the phone in 10 seconds, no charge.
    1968 Renault 16
    1969 Renault 16TS
    1974 Renault 16TX
    2001 Renault RX4
    2013 Renault Megane

Quick update.

I now have a working Cabasse Auditorium head unit in the Megane. Quite a lot more power than the original head unit and it might be a little clearer and better defined - but I might also just be wishing that on my purchase.

The pin code can be cracked a number of ways by the sounds of things but the key is the 4-digit 'Security' code (almost makes sense really) on the label on the side of the unit.

It turns out that with the 4-digit code (1 Alpha and 3 numeric) you can plug it into any number of www based convertors and get back the pin code for the head unit. I downloaded an Android App from the Play Store (Renault Radio Code Generator by akerssies App Development) which will either take the 4-digit security code as input, or you can use the barcode scanner to scan it. The App was a free install and works instantly without having to make any in-App purchases or web site visits.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Thread Information