R-Link / R-Link 2
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leemondthefirst

Thread: R-Link / R-Link 2

Tadpole

Default R-Link / R-Link 2

I have recently purchased a Renault Megane Sport GT, my first encounter with a Renault.
    Date built July 2016 & Compliance date April 2017.
    According to the dealer it is a MY2017 vehicle.

This vehicle has a problem with the R-Link 2 system in that it will not CONNECT.
    Anyone with a fully functional R-Link 2 system will know what this CONNECT function is.

Advertisement

I have searched the internet & Renault forums, including this one & it would appear the problem I've encountered is not the first, or an isolated case.
    Unfortunately, whilst the problem has been previously mentioned, no resolution or final outcome has been identified or posted.

It has been back to the dealer twice in an effort to rectify this "fault", however it still hasn't been fixed.
    At this stage they tell me they are talking to Renault Australia about it.

Has anyone on this forum experienced a similar problem with a 2016 built Renault & had it rectified?

Does the earlier version of R-Link operate properly?
    Does the earlier version of R-Link connect to the internet?

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Have you read up on the OZRS forum? Or even ask the question there, you'll have a better chance there than on AF for help.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Tadpole

No, I haven't, but I'll act on your suggestion.

I have got mine connected and working. Its an rlink2 system in a MY17 Koleos. Registered online first and updated the Rlink firmware and maps using a USB drive. Everything lighted up after this update. Live traffic service is now working. Based on my rlink account, its valid for 365 days. Will probably need to pay a hefty fee for it beyond that so i will not bother. Also, the app store now has a selection of apps for free and to pay for. Nothing interesting there so you are not missing out

Tadpole

Thanks Trotsky, the dealership gave me a 2017 Koleos to drive the other day while they were attempting to get the system in my Megane working.
    The system in the Koleos was working OK.
    I've registered on the R-Link Store, downloaded the R-Link 2 Toolbox which in itself is problematic as I have to reinstall it each time for it to work.
    I understand what you're saying "nothing interesting there" as I've managed to download & install a few free apps.
    Calculator, Trip Data & the Clock apps + the Map Package Oceania mid 2016 (in three parts).
    However the CONNECT function is still not working.
    I didn't realise that the live traffic update function is subscription based, that may explain what the 28 days remaining indicates regarding the Oceania map package.
    Although the Euro map package indicates over 1000+ days remaining.

I'd be interested to know if the R-Link systems in earlier model Renaults prior to the Megane IV are fully operational.

Isn't October the cross-over month for the MY?
    Anything built from October 2016 is MY17 so July 2016 should still be 2016 MY.
    There might have been a update in July that continued into MY2017.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Tadpole

This is the first Euro car I've bought, so am not sure of the MY changeover dates.
    According to the dealer, it's an MY17 car.
    Strange it was complied (04/17) 10 months after the build date (Jul 16).

This is what my account looks like. The online services are valid for 365 days from activation. Maps updates for 30 days from activation. The next page has the "Map Oceania" listed, Version: 2016.06. Already more than one year old so it looks like updates are rare. Good luck with getting your issues resolved on your Rlink..

R-Link / R-Link 2-22-aug-17-9-46-21-am.png

Tadpole

Thanks once again Trotsky.

The dealer has informed me it can't be fixed.

Apparently it can't be upgraded either.
    I queried early in the rectification attempts process whether this "fault" could be related to the closure of the 2G Network in Australia.
    Apparently this is the reason the R-Link 2 system fitted to this vehicle can't connect.
    Obviously further discussion is to take place with the dealership!

Thanks for the assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Fast View Post

I queried early in the rectification attempts process whether this "fault" could be related to the closure of the 2G Network in Australia.
    Apparently this is the reason the R-Link 2 system fitted to this vehicle can't connect.

Bummer. Read about the 2g issue elsewhere. I have not seen a case where Renault replaced the unit so it works with the 3g network. It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Tadpole

Hi All
    i recently purchased a May 2017 build Megane GT. Great car so far.
    im trying to register on the RLink store but cat seem to get the registration completed. I'm getting an error when I enter the R link serial number ? I got the serial number by connecting a USB to the car and reading the USB stick on the computer. There is an alphanumeric sequence followed by .wls
    im entering this number with and without the .wls but I'm getting an error stating Vehicle MUID does not match pattern ??
    Anyone else have this issue ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
    Hi All
    i recently purchased a May 2017 build Megane GT. Great car so far.
    im trying to register on the RLink store but cat seem to get the registration completed. I'm getting an error when I enter the R link serial number ? I got the serial number by connecting a USB to the car and reading the USB stick on the computer. There is an alphanumeric sequence followed by .wls
    im entering this number with and without the .wls but I'm getting an error stating Vehicle MUID does not match pattern ??
    Anyone else have this issue ??
    Download the R-Link Toolbox via the link below;

https://au.rlinkstore.com/rlinkpresentation2

Install it on your computer and fire it up. Once it is running, insert your USB drive which you used to connect to your car. Your RLink2 Serial No will be displayed via this app. Click on the car icon (top right hand corner on the window) to see your serial no.

I had an issue with the Media-Nav in my MY15 Clio EDC200 Cup. I was told to go to the Renault Australia website, lodge a complaint for what the issue was and I'd be contacted by RA with a solution.

Within a couple of days, a dealer, not where I bought my car from contacted me. I informed him of the issues, he transferred the referral to Cricks.

Renault supplied and fitted a new Media-Nav Evolution to my Clio last week. Issue solved.

I am very glad I never had to pay for the replacement. Hahaha

The one thing that worked for me with the previous system was to take the phone off sleep mode when I got in the car and it would connect. For some reason, it wouldn't usually connect in sleep mode
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Tadpole

Default Same Issues here

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Fast View Post

Hey Mate,

How did you go with this, as I have a MY16 Built Megane GT-Line (purchased 2017), with the same issues and I have been trying for a year to get them solved.

I also have a 3 year European Map Updates subscription, but none for Oceania. Also have the same lenbgth TomTom Traffic subscription, but I'm assuming this is also for Europe, as I have no Live Traffic and no online connection on my vehicle.
    g911 likes this.

Tadpole

I've got a weird 'music' problem which almost seems insignificant - but is irritating, nonetheless! So, I have a couple of USB drives, loaded with various music files, in my late (build 09/2017) Megane GT Wagon. Generally, they are designated by CD (or even LP where I've 'ripped' one!), and they all play - superbly. However, while some of the files will show the associated art file - cover etc - (usually included in the directory as 'folder.jpg'), others won't! Yet, if I play the files on a normal (Windows) computer, the art shows. I've tried using a tag program to add the art to the music files - even though it usually shows it is already there - but still no joy. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why one file will show the art and another won't. It's doesn't appear to be conditional on the encoding method, or sample rate - or even the art file name! So - any comments or suggestions gratefully received!

Not sure this will help, but data like art associated with a CD is digital, whereas music recorded from an LP would be converted from analog to digital. When you stuff an LP onto a turntable it doesn't show you artwork, unless you happen to be looking at the record sleeve. A CD ripped from an LP won't show art unless you've asked Windows Media Player or I-tunes or whatever to identify the individual album/tracks and add the artwork. Maybe.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by leemondthefirst View Post
    Hey Mate,

How did you go with this, as I have a MY16 Built Megane GT-Line (purchased 2017), with the same issues and I have been trying for a year to get them solved.

I also have a 3 year European Map Updates subscription, but none for Oceania. Also have the same lenbgth TomTom Traffic subscription, but I'm assuming this is also for Europe, as I have no Live Traffic and no online connection on my vehicle.
    Hey guys, How did it go? I have the same issues with my Megane Gt 2016. Wanted to have Live Traffic. Did u guys manage to make it working? Please help...

Tadpole

Thanks for your reply, Kim. Yes, I fully understand what you are saying. This is what I do not understand, though. I have successfully downloaded cover art for ripped LPs and added it to the specific directory - and, of course, it works - sometimes!. On the other hand, ripped CDs, where the cover art is readily available from a multitude of online sources, when added to its specific folder works - sometimes! In other words, it has nothing to do with the source (or, it would appear, the encoding) of the music files. There's obviously a 'deeper' issue that sometimes will allow that art to show when the respective music is playing, and sometimes won't! Here's another peculiarity. If I play the self same files, from the same USB drive removed from the car, on a computer using the VLC media player, the art files will always show....... It must be something peculiar to the Renault embedded media player. Any suggestions welcomed!!

Tadpole

I see a couple of people here have had problems with 'subscription' services, and I wonder if there is any answer? My 2017 late build Megane GT wagon is now just a year old, and it had its first service a couple of weeks ago. Before the service, I noticed that various 'alerts' were appearing on the RLink screen advising me that 'Your subscription for [xxxx] will expire in [x] days' where [xxxx] could be 'Tom Tom Traffic' or 'Digital Services' (and others if I remember correctly). I advised the dealer at the service, and when I picked the car up, I asked about these messages and was told ' it had been looked at by the mechanic and there was nothing to worry about'. Well, they are appearing again, although now saying 'Your subscription for [xxxx] is expired since 15 days'. In all honesty, I am convinced the dealer hasn't a clue what this means, nor what to do about it!! What are 'Digital Services'? Is 'TomTom traffic' my navigation maps? Why are they 'expiring' after just one year? Should I be concerned, or just keep pressing 'deal with it later' and getting - I presume - these irritating messages popping up at regular intervals for the life of the car? And - why doesn't the dealer know what it means, and who does? Any assistance gratefully received!

Tadpole

It is a couple of months since I posted this issue, and no comments! Out of interest, Renault (Australia) are completely ignoring me. Despite me contacting them with the problem, I have heard nothing. In addition, I have the service manager from the dealer on my case - he, too, appears to be being fobbed off by Renault. To bring this up to date - and see if it rings any bells - here's what I wrote (slightly editied) about it to the dealer manager:

Around the beginning of October this year, as the car approached one year old, I started to get messages on my RLink screen that certain subscriptions were about to expire. The first two messages were for 'TomTom Traffic' and 'Digital Services'. After the anniversary of delivery passed, the messages changed from 'about to expire' to 'had expired' and a third one - Discovery Services - also appeared.

Since then, the situation appears to get more serious, and I now understand that after a month's 'grace' period following expiry, these services stop working entirely. As you have seen, this has removed my access to the in-car 'RLink store' app, as well as stopping access to the apps I had previously downloaded and that had worked very successfully. Although I can't confirm this, the fact that accessing the Network Status from the System > System Info menu shows that the car is 'connected' (with a valid SIM IMEI) but that services are 'disabled' probably explains why the apps are no longer operating.

Since these 'subscriptions' have apparently 'expired', I assumed - as you probably would - that I could log into a RLink store account and renew them. However, this approach is completely blocked since if I look at My Products in the store site, I see that the three expired services - Digital Services; Discovery Services and Tom Tom TRAFFIC - are marked 'No bill online' meaning they cannot be renewed. I should add that in frustration, I have disabled my Australian RLink store account and created an account on the UK site (as, amazingly, Renault Australia actually suggest!!) but to no avail. Clearly, the vehicle VIN is tied to a specific market and you can't fool it! Incidentally, I have successfully updated the in-car RLink software to the latest version (tied to my car VIN) and it shows as 3.3.16.966

So, my concerns are:

• Why did these 'subscriptions' expire - especially after just one year? That is totally unacceptable!

• Why can they not be (self) renewed - since it is obvious they are essential for 'car loaded app' access?

• If indeed it is, why was I not advised as a customer that this functionality appears to be only 'transitory'?

• What does Renault propose to do to solve these issues?

Now, I realise that these are minor issues, and some might say 'so what?' They don't make the car any less functional as a vehicle, but I find it irritating in the extreme that Renault refuse to even acknowledge the problems. It's not a good look - "buy a new Renault and after a year, most of the software functionality will turn off and you can't turn it on again". How would that go down in the motoring magazines? Like a lead balloon, I suggest!

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Meanwhile - beware, because if you have a new Renault, it could happen to you!

The incar update of the R-link 2 fixed the subscription problems on our Megane Intens sedan. If your navigation system is still working that is about all R-link is useful for. I have a PC at home for clever stuff....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Thread Information