Captur airbags
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Captur airbags

Tadpole

Default Captur airbags

The Captur only has front side airbags and no reference to protection to the rear passengers with airbags. Does to side airbags for the front passengers project back to protect the rear seat or are the rear seat passengers left without any protection at all?
    Got friends who like the Captur, but no rear airbags, are a deal breaker.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by 62Caravelle View Post
    The Captur only has front side airbags and no reference to protection to the rear passengers with airbags. Does to side airbags for the front passengers project back to protect the rear seat or are the rear seat passengers left without any protection at all?
    Got friends who like the Captur, but no rear airbags, are a deal breaker.
    I know the Australian motoring media got their knickers in a twist over the lack of rear airbags in some modern Renaults (the new Clio I believe. I don't know much about the Captur, but believe it is based on Clio architecture).

Renault are genuine leaders in safety and engineered 5 star safety without rear airbags (something the journos just couldn't get their heads around. More airbags! More airbags! seems to be their sole solution to safety).

If you have a look at crash tests with the Captur you'll see what I mean. It handles the usual tests really really well and the passenger compartment is left intact, even in the rear, sans airbags.

Perhaps it may be a deal breaker for some, and they may buy their Daewoo, sorry Holden Trax with rear airbags...

I know where I'd feel safer!

Dave
    85Fuego likes this.
    2009 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi wagon
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../captur/41ef4d

There is no side head protection for rear seat occupants. In the side pole test, driver head protection was good but chest and abdomen protection was marginal
    FWIW Holden Trax has no such caveats mentioned.

Regardless, both vehicles are rated 5 stars.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../captur/41ef4d

FWIW Holden Trax has no such caveats mentioned.

Regardless, both vehicles are rated 5 stars.
    If the result was "marginal" how did it pass and gain five stars? It passed, just the same as the Trax with or without caveats and the same as every other 5 star car. The Captur does not need rear airbags to pass the ANCAP 5 Star Rating.

It is sad that the responsibility for road safety has been passed in recent years from the driver to the car..........
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    If the result was "marginal" how did it pass and gain five stars? It passed, just the same as the Trax with or without caveats and the same as every other 5 star car. The Captur does not need rear airbags to pass the ANCAP 5 Star Rating.

It is sad that the responsibility for road safety has been passed in recent years from the driver to the car..........
    Good question Kim. If you read the links provided you will have as much information on the topic as I.

I suspect it could be related to be Renault being the largest car manufacturer.

In the assessment of safety "marginal" has no place in my opinion. Having it appear raises question WTF the authority is doing rating the "marginal" car at 5 stars. It's an affront to other manufacturers who have five star ratings without caveats.

And safety rating aren't about "passing responsibility".

They simply allow the prospective purchaser to choose the car which is most likely ensure occupant survival, when harpooned by an imbecile in a Holden WB panel van (or similar) running a red light.

EDIT: If you read post #1 , you will note that a prospective buyer has already made a decision based on lack of curtain or rear passenger airbags.

Good question Kim. If you read the links provided you will have as much information on the topic as I.

I suspect it could be related to be Renault being the largest car manufacturer.

In the assessment of safety "marginal" has no place in my opinion. Having it appear raises question WTF the authority is doing rating the "marginal" car at 5 stars. It's an affront to other manufacturers who have five star ratings without caveats.

And safety rating aren't about "passing responsibility".

They simply allow the prospective purchaser to choose the car which is most likely ensure occupant survival, when harpooned by an imbecile in a Holden WB panel van (or similar) running a red light.

EDIT: If you read post #1 , you will note that a prospective buyer has already made a decision based on lack of curtain or rear passenger airbags.
    The fact that you yourself highlighted in red the so-called "caveat" indicates that you too are more impressed by the number of airbags fitted to a car than any of it's crash mitigating construction. The moronic "How safe is your Car" ads rely on the same sheeplike attitudes to safety aspects of motor vehicles. Just remember that airbags were only originally necessary in the USA, where the stupidity of the non seat-belt wearing motoring public is well known and documented. The fact that the actual speeds these tests are conducted at should tell you that airbags and everything else mightn't save you in any kind of collision with anything other than a stationary object over 50km/h.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 7th August 2017 at 08:48 PM.
    HONG KONG PUGGY likes this.

Having young kids in tow…. No airbags and 5 starts would be a deal maker, not deal breaker.

You can't imagine the tantrums I've had to endure after telling the little one to sit in the middle and let the bigger kids sit on the sides.

Jo
    HONG KONG PUGGY and Kim Luck like this.

Just remember or be advised that the number of stars that a vehicle receives for its "safety status classification" is solely based on the number of "boxes" ticked!

Not sure if number of cup holders come into that equation (just joking), nevertheless could be deemed trivial for an individuals needs.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Having young kids in tow…. No airbags and 5 starts would be a deal maker, not deal breaker.

You can't imagine the tantrums I've had to endure after telling the little one to sit in the middle and let the bigger kids sit on the sides.

Jo

The fact that you yourself highlighted in red the so-called "caveat" indicates that you too are more impressed by the number of airbags fitted to a car than any of it's crash mitigating construction.
    Please don't double guess what my beliefs are. You are quite wrong.

The red highlighting was intended to emphasize the comments of the Australian testers.

And to draw attention to the fact that no other car in the same "class" has similar comments.

And I hate to break your bubble, the test results are based on simulated accident scenarios.

So the ratings are not entirely about the number of airbags, but rather about real life crash performance . And the testers considered the Captur marginal in certain aspects.

Obviously this doesn't concern you, but it may concern others, to wit the first post of the thread.

Which proves the point that being a Renault doesn't automatically make the vehicle equivalently crash safe as other vehicles. As much as you would like think it.

Please don't double guess what my beliefs are. You are quite wrong.

The red highlighting was intended to emphasize the comments of the Australian testers.

And to draw attention to the fact that no other car in the same "class" has similar comments.

And I hate to break your bubble, the test results are based on simulated accident scenarios.

So the ratings are not entirely about the number of airbags, but rather about real life crash performance . And the testers considered the Captur marginal in certain aspects.

Obviously this doesn't concern you, but it may concern others, to wit the first post of the thread.

Which proves the point that being a Renault doesn't automatically make the vehicle equivalently crash safe as other vehicles. As much as you would like think it.
    You can't argue. In the ANCAP tests, the Captur is considered at least as safe as any other car that gained five stars. Whether you like it or not.

This is the NCAP report regarding child protection:
    Captur airbags-captur-child-protection.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    You can't argue. In the ANCAP tests, the Captur is considered at least as safe as any other car that gained five stars. Whether you like it or not.

This is the NCAP report regarding child protection:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captur Child Protection.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	98941
    But with the caveat which has been discussed.

Ask yourself why no other vehicle has such a caveat mentioned.

I interpret that as meaning the vehicle passed the benchmark for 5 stars. However other vehicles which passed with 5 stars had better ratings in certain areas.

You are free to make up your own mind.

However it's a waste of time arguing because I'm never likely to own a Captur. SUVs are not my type of vehicle.

Edit: And the lack of chest and abdomen protection was related to the side pole impact test and had nothing to do with "child safety". Nor indeed the back seat occupants.

I'd like to think there logic in your reasoning but so far you have successfully concealed it.
    Last edited by robmac; 8th August 2017 at 08:58 AM.

I think these days you'd almost ask what brand of air bags are fitted rather than does it have air bags.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I think these days you'd almost ask what brand of air bags are fitted rather than does it have air bags.
    Quite true David, but since no French cars are in Takata "fail" list I suspect PSA uses another manufacturer.

Quite true David, but since no French cars are in Takata "fail" list I suspect PSA uses another manufacturer.
    Yes that's right Renault, Peugeot and Citroen use another brand so there ok. But it's a valid point I think, a Captur without rear bags or another brand fitted with Takata.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Takata ceased making "faulty" airbags in 2002.

They have also filed for bankruptcy this year.

So we are not going see Takata fitted to any new vehicles.

So the previous post is a furphy.

So why are Toyota and Honda still recalling them. The news the other week said that the new ones fitted were no better than the old ones and were being recalled again. It was on the news maybe a month ago

Sent from my SM-J110F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Sorry David,

I'm not following what you are trying to say.

Surely the only valid comparison to a Captur is a contemporary vehicle. Ie A new vehicle currently on the market and still in production.

And such vehicles won't have faulty Takata airbags installed.

The recall of Takata airbags has expanded greatly, as recently as July, Takata issued defect recall notices including cars manufactured right into 2017. Worryingly, a lot of manufacturers are apparently replacing the potentially faulty airbag with another of exactly the same type, due to supply issues, and the now defunct (by Takata themselves) theory that the problems were age/environment related.
    If your car is on the list drive carefully and try to get it properly replaced...

Links ACCC:
    https://www.productsafety.gov.au/new...lian-consumers

US DoT:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags
    Last edited by jech; 8th August 2017 at 10:21 PM.

1000+ Posts

Recent accident to neighbour involved a 2016 Toyota Landcruiser. The airbag went off in a smallish hit to a tree and pieces of the the airbag plastic cover made a severe cut in the passengers leg. Better than going thru the screen but it could have been head or chest with a bad result.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jech View Post
    The recall of Takata airbags has expanded greatly, as recently as July, Takata issued defect recall notices including cars manufactured right into 2017. Worryingly, a lot of manufacturers are apparently replacing the potentially faulty airbag with another of exactly the same type, due to supply issues, and the now defunct (by Takata themselves) theory that the problems were age/environment related.
    If your car is on the list drive carefully and try to get it properly replaced...

Links ACCC:
    https://www.productsafety.gov.au/new...lian-consumers

US DoT:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

Thank you.

There was also news of a very new Honda where the driver was killed from bits of airbag fitting them in the face.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

According to the Au link the most recently manufactured passenger vehicle that is subject to Takata airbag recall is :

Mitsubishi Pajero NS, NT, NW, NX 2007-2016
    According to US link the Takata airbags like to explode, ie critical are:

2001-2002 Honda Civic
    2001-2002 Honda Accord
    2002-2003 Acura TL
    2002 Honda CR-V
    2002 Honda Odyssey
    2003 Acura CL
    2003 Honda Pilot
    So let's not propagate the story that current cars are having OEM faulty airbags fitted.

And Sunroof, everyone can tell a horror story about any brand of car when the hysteria about the item involved is still being bandied around in the press.

Unless I'm missed something there are no 2017 vehicles in the Au list.

And what is your definition of "recent" David ?

Driver likely killed by defective Takata airbag in Sydney crash, police say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Here is the news article of which you speak. Sure the accident happened this year, but the manufacture date of the vehicle involved ( of which some models are on the Takata airbag recall list) is not immediately evident.

The most recent Honda on Accc list is:

Honda City, CR-V, Insight, Jazz 2011-2014

The topic of faulty air bags being refitted as replacements is a matter for concern. And it's a bloody disgrace that the ACCC hasn't disallowed the practice.

However it is not entirely relevant to the original vehicles being recalled.

Let's stick to the facts, as we can best find them.

And not engage in the "trade" or my best mates says" type reporting.

Which does good for no-one.
    Last edited by robmac; 9th August 2017 at 10:37 AM.

All this angst about airbags that are not even fitted to the Captur! The desire of some here present to appear the most knowledgeable, most highly informed about every subject together with a garrulous disposition can drive others to drink. Cheers!

No angst at all with me Kim.

I'm just presenting in "understandable form" information which is available from reputable sources on the web.

Largely to dispel urban myths surrounding Takata airbags in currently manufactured vehicles.

And earlier in the thread to "monitor" the accuracy of interpretations made of the Anscap test results for the Captur.

"Garrulous" is statement of opinion, depending on the veracity of the information presented in your own posts compared to the veracity of other's posts.

I thought "tedious loquacity" might also have filled the bill.....

Spoken like a true logophile.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information