R16ts handbrake adjustment
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 1 Post By tresbon

Thread: R16ts handbrake adjustment

Icon5 R16ts handbrake adjustment

I am more than happy with my 16 except that I cannot get the h/brake to work. I have adjusted it as in the various workshop manuals without success. As it is a late model it has the automatic adjusters. I have had the drums off and there is plenty of lining, the drums are about 1 mm larger than original and the adjuster mechanism appears to be working.
    So, I am interested in any ideas, especially from someone who may have had this problem before.

Advertisement

Don

I'm no mechanic but have you had a look underneath for damaged parts or cable off. Even a stretched or broken cable. Or has the cable come off the hand lever. Just some thoughts....
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

COL

Could also be a seized cable, get someone to operate the hand brake while you watch the linkages underneath and also the mechanism with the brake drum removed.
    driven likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

As above with Shoji.

Automatic adjusters only work on the foot brake, they do not work on the hand brake. The hand brake on a lot of cars operates the foot brake mechanism to keep the foot brake in adjustment.

Check that the cable ends are moving in unison, ie. when you pull one end the other moves. There is a long threaded end just in front of the LH rear suspension pivot area, that requires adjusting, if your cable is complete. Also check that the ends of the outer cable are actually located in their stop brackets. With all of this work, if the inner cable is in one piece, it would be worthwhile lubricating inside the outer cable with Castrol Chain Lube.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Thanks to all. When I said the h/brake doesn't work it does, a little. That is, on the last notch of the brake handle and with max pressure on the footbrake it will hold the car on a very minor slope. So if only I could get one notch more it may be OK. But I have tried adjusting as per the manual plus any other way I can think of! Yes, the cables are all OK, move as expected and are in their right place.
    Interesting observation that the auto adjusters only work via the footbrake. The manual says that one must have at least 12 clicks on using the handbrake - I assumed that this must mean that the travel of the h/brake is what moves the internal adjusting operator to the next tooth.
    I think that I need to pull the drum again and observe the movements of the adjusting mechanism again.

There must be some slack when the handbrake is not on. It is could be stretched or wrong cables.
    I'm guessing it is two cables, one that goes from one drum to the other drum and in the middle another second cable pulls on the first and this leads to the handbrake. Where they join there would be an adjustment thread to take up slack. Am I right? My r17 is setup the same way.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

There is a lot of slack when the h/brake is off, no doubt due to the aforementioned 12 clicks before the brake is on. You are correct - there are 2 cables both of which have adjusters. The cables appear to be the right ones (as in the manual) However one or both could be stretched. I will do some more fiddling. Is it possible that the slightly over sized drums could be a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    There must be some slack when the handbrake is not on. It is could be stretched or wrong cables.
    I'm guessing it is two cables, one that goes from one drum to the other drum and in the middle another second cable pulls on the first and this leads to the handbrake. Where they join there would be an adjustment thread to take up slack. Am I right? My r17 is setup the same way.
    Shoji likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi tresbon (don) When you have the rear drums off next I would check the position of handbrake lever arms attached to rear brake shoes.If at the lower end where the cable attaches is forward of the brake shoe and not fully returned, then when handbrake is applied
    it is possible for the spring coiled around the inner cable to be fully compressed and not allowing full pressure through cable to lever to spacer/adjusting strut to brake shoes to drum.If this is the case back off centre cable adjuster(where both rear cables meet) fully,then adjust self adjuster/spacer strut between brake shoes until when drums are fitted they spin with minimal brake lining touch on drum.Then adjust centre cable adjuster until linings just touch drum and back off until turning freely.cable adjuster on left rear can be adjusted lastly.just some ideas that I hope don,t confuse you. jim

Thanks for that. I don't know what happened to the reply I posted yesterday but I will follow your ideas when the weather improves a bit. cheers, Don
    Quote Originally Posted by dacia4x4 View Post
    Hi tresbon (don) When you have the rear drums off next I would check the position of handbrake lever arms attached to rear brake shoes.If at the lower end where the cable attaches is forward of the brake shoe and not fully returned, then when handbrake is applied
    it is possible for the spring coiled around the inner cable to be fully compressed and not allowing full pressure through cable to lever to spacer/adjusting strut to brake shoes to drum.If this is the case back off centre cable adjuster(where both rear cables meet) fully,then adjust self adjuster/spacer strut between brake shoes until when drums are fitted they spin with minimal brake lining touch on drum.Then adjust centre cable adjuster until linings just touch drum and back off until turning freely.cable adjuster on left rear can be adjusted lastly.just some ideas that I hope don,t confuse you. jim

Thread Information