• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By bazzamac

Thread: washer bottle repair Alpine GTA V6 Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Default washer bottle repair Alpine GTA V6 Turbo

Hi all

The windscreen washer bottle in my Alpine GTA V6 Turbo leaks via a small crack just where the water pump slots in. Have tried gluing in plastic and rubber patches but to no avail. Do I cauterise it with a soldering iron or is there another solution, such as araldite, apart from getting a new or second hand one if available?

Advertisement

Last Saturday Aldi had a Bondic (or Bonstic) plastic "welder" on sale for $24.
    It is a pen device that delivers a liquid which you put into/onto the two parts or crack, then the opposite end is a UV light to activate and set the solution.

For the money, even if it does the job once it could be worth it; and if doesn't you havent lost your sheep station.
    Sunroof and Kenfuego like this.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Bazzamac I have used the araldite and mesh to repair old cracked and sunlight degraded Fuego water bottle systems, I usually run a flat hot soldering iron lightly over the surface to melt the degraded surface and expose the extent of the crack and then reinforce the repaired araldite & cotton mesh with wrappings of silver coloured duct tape, as that applies pressure to the repair and also protects the bottle from sunlight.

The aldi plastic welder for $24 sounds like a good alternative try for a permanent fix (less than an unobtainium new replacement bottle) but I would still bind the exterior for extra strength. My original Fuego repair is still going strong with no leaks, though I don't use it so much these days.

Ken

You can get "silastic-type" material designed to work on wet surfaces from builders' suppliers. Inelegant perhaps, but drill end of crack and use this, as it is flexible and you are dealing with old, hardened/degraded plastic? I hate these old plastic water containers...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all for your advice. My future son in law, who is a panel beater, happened to drop by and advised me that the bottle is made of thermo plastic. All we did was used a hot soldering iron and carefully worked the leaking area and bingo, no more leaks. As the bottle is buried in the nose of the Alpine, it is not subject to ultra violet radiation like the Fuegos. Nevertheless, will seek out the Aldi product and keep just in case.
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Last Saturday Aldi had a Bondic (or Bonstic) plastic "welder" on sale for $24.
    It is a pen device that delivers a liquid which you put into/onto the two parts or crack, then the opposite end is a UV light to activate and set the solution.

For the money, even if it does the job once it could be worth it; and if doesn't you havent lost your sheep station.
    Or you can buy the same stuff on Ebay for about $10.00.
    Just search for plastic weld
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thread Information