2017 Renault Megane GT
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By Bluey-GT
  • 2 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By JoBo
  • 3 Post By Bluey-GT
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: 2017 Renault Megane GT

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default 2017 Renault Megane GT

    Hi all , just joined this forum as I've just purchased a brand new 2017 Megane GT. Never owned a Renault but after much research and test driving and banter with friends , this new model Megane enticed me to the point of distraction !

    Advertisement


    Originally I had put down a holding deposit on a 2016 Megane GT demo in metallic pearl white only to find that there was a mid release update in the wings that not even Renault HQ in Mulgrave could provide details on....lol.

    A dealer in Glen waverley mentioned it to me when we were there looking for some accessories as the Glen waverley dealer was closer to us than where we purchased from . ( Glen Waverley dealer didn't have the colour we wanted in a demo )

    So...... made some calls were made . Some websites were trawled and alas the 2017 gT has quite a bit more to offer . The ADAS package !

    Apparently the additional safety feartures on ADAS just weren't available on the 2016 model.
    So 2016 car order was cancelled and deposit switched to a brand new 2017 for a bit extra.

    Very much look forward to picking it up now next week and still have some unanswered questions. They can't tell me if it has apple car play and mirroring....lols. It's new they said and they aren't 100% sure of all the specs yet. Wow....

    So I'll pop back here when I've collected the GT and given it some road time. Speak soon.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,865

    Default

    We're interested.
    DanielBendigo likes this.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
    Hi all , just joined this forum as I've just purchased a brand new 2017 Megane GT. Never owned a Renault but after much research and test driving and banter with friends , this new model Megane enticed me to the point of distraction !

    Originally I had put down a holding deposit on a 2016 Megane GT demo in metallic pearl white only to find that there was a mid release update in the wings that not even Renault HQ in Mulgrave could provide details on....lol.

    A dealer in Glen waverley mentioned it to me when we were there looking for some accessories as the Glen waverley dealer was closer to us than where we purchased from . ( Glen Waverley dealer didn't have the colour we wanted in a demo )

    So...... made some calls were made . Some websites were trawled and alas the 2017 gT has quite a bit more to offer . The ADAS package !

    Apparently the additional safety feartures on ADAS just weren't available on the 2016 model.
    So 2016 car order was cancelled and deposit switched to a brand new 2017 for a bit extra.

    Very much look forward to picking it up now next week and still have some unanswered questions. They can't tell me if it has apple car play and mirroring....lols. It's new they said and they aren't 100% sure of all the specs yet. Wow....

    So I'll pop back here when I've collected the GT and given it some road time. Speak soon.
    This is what you get: https://www.manualslib.com/products/...2-3907257.html

    https://carmanuals2.com/renault/mega...-manual-104203
    Bluey-GT likes this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  4. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for the links. Plenty of reading to do.......
    Will be interesting to see how intuitive the menus are and usability of the screen.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,737

    Default

    We (Mrs Luck) just bought a Megane Intens Sedan after long perusals of the manuals and the opposition. Both Renaults have a long list of useful features: the GT has Launch Control and 4 wheel steering but the Intens Sedan has adaptive cruise control and AEBS. Horses for Courses!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  6. #6
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Ha Ha !
    The recent May- July release 2017 GT has ADAS - autonomous braking , blind spot warning , lane departure warning , adaptive cruise etc .

    The 2016 GT missed out on the additional safety pack and it wasn't even an option. It's the reason we cancelled our deposit on the November 2016 demo we were looking at after we discovered that little detail.

    Have just seen that the 2018 patent pics for the GT have also been leaked which shows a much sharper and aggressive looking front bumper. Revised front and rear light detail as well. The rest looks the same. ( wheels , panels etc )
    Kim Luck likes this.

  7. #7
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Ok. So many lols here....
    just been told my "new" car is arriving at dealer this week or next and it's a May 2017 build .

    so with this information I contacted Renault HQ again and asked them to check the specs on the car that is being delivered.
    well......
    My car it seems has every option except for Blind spot monitoring which is not available on the pre June 2017 build. From June onwards it will be standard equipment as part of the ADAS pack.

    The dealers are clueless regarding specs , Renault needed 3 days to confirm, and now we are staring down the barrel of cancelling again to ensure we get what we originally asked for 2 weeks ago. Insane.

    i understand if there is a bit of a gap in between small upgrades and a long gap between model updates but this dripfeeding of small updates every 12 weeks is nonsense.

    Anyways, waiting to see what the dealer can do now to ensure we get the correct 2017 build month for the specs we asked for.

  8. #8
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    B
    Posts
    10

    Default

    If you want to have a look at a great resource for Megane info, check out the German Megane 4 website. I am loving mine despite not having the upgrade.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    16,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
    Ok. So many lols here....
    just been told my "new" car is arriving at dealer this week or next and it's a May 2017 build .

    so with this information I contacted Renault HQ again and asked them to check the specs on the car that is being delivered.
    well......
    My car it seems has every option except for Blind spot monitoring which is not available on the pre June 2017 build. From June onwards it will be standard equipment as part of the ADAS pack.

    The dealers are clueless regarding specs , Renault needed 3 days to confirm, and now we are staring down the barrel of cancelling again to ensure we get what we originally asked for 2 weeks ago. Insane.

    i understand if there is a bit of a gap in between small upgrades and a long gap between model updates but this dripfeeding of small updates every 12 weeks is nonsense.

    Anyways, waiting to see what the dealer can do now to ensure we get the correct 2017 build month for the specs we asked for.
    I think you'll find that because of the sporty nature of the GT Renault thought the average buyer might have the ability to know which lane they were in and what other vehicles might be near them without the need for any electronic warning. I'm sure you qualify!
    JoBo and JohnW like this.
    It's another lovely day! Again!

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Ours, being 2 years old hasn't got it either. Would be nice to have these aids so i don't have to concentrate so much on the job at hand; i could fiddle with the satnav/radio etc and the car would stop by itself when the car in front stops without me being aware
    Blindspot warning is great as well when you have a stiff neck
    Bluey-GT likes this.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  11. #11
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies and links and advice so far , appreciated.
    Update is that there is an "updated batch" of vehicles on the water and due to arrive mid August and be available at the dealer @21st August. This new batch are June build and have the final upgrades for this model before the release of the 2018 models in Europe in 5/6 months time. Anyways seems like all is in order for now....lol

  12. #12
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Car has arrived ! Have put 80klm on it already.
    So far very impressed with the interior and exterior. As I had hoped , it has all the updated safety kit and also apple CarPlay.
    The RS suspension tune is excellent. Well controlled chassis and damping. The 4 wheel steer is initially unnerving as it feels like the back end is stepping out but it's actually helping to push the car into the corner . Interior has lots of right hand drive conversion quirks but time will ease the pain methinks. Lol. The R link 2 system is easier to use than I had feared and the menu access and toggling is quite intuitive. The EDC trans is a little jerky at low speed as expected and once on the move it's excellent. The engine is a gem. Tiny bit of lag on initial take off and then extremely strong throughout the range....spins freely and although I'm not pushing it too hard for the run in period I can see it's potential. Initial impressions then is that this car will be easy to live with with decent ergonomics and plenty of tech to keep me occupied. The safety kit is excellent and the engineering and driving dynamics are very strong. Forgot to add the car looks stunning, easily the prettiest of the hatches on offer from any marque euro or Asian.

    ill report back after I've driven more but so far so very good.
    68 404, Mikeinnc and Kim Luck like this.

  13. #13
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Glad I've found this site! Just purchased a 2017 Megane GT wagon. Very happy so far (I had couple of Renaults years ago in the UK), but a few times, I have found that the (auto) gearbox will not change when moving off and the revs rise quite alarmingly! It happens intermittently - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and I can assure others I don't have a 'lead foot'!! I can lift my accelerator and the gear will change and all is then OK. The car hasn't yet been back for 1K service, but is this something I should discuss with dealer? BTW, I have it set in 'comfort' mode so it's not - presumably - a 'sports' issue.

  14. #14
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Sounds like a potential warranty and safety issue, so best going straight back to the dealer. Firstly though, check that you are not left foot braking, such as holding the car on the brakes at the lights with the left foot, then taking off with the right foot. That can discombobulate the mechanism if both are in use at the one time.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  15. #15
    Veni Vidi Posti 68 404's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinnc View Post
    Glad I've found this site! Just purchased a 2017 Megane GT wagon. Very happy so far (I had couple of Renaults years ago in the UK), but a few times, I have found that the (auto) gearbox will not change when moving off and the revs rise quite alarmingly! It happens intermittently - there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, and I can assure others I don't have a 'lead foot'!! I can lift my accelerator and the gear will change and all is then OK. The car hasn't yet been back for 1K service, but is this something I should discuss with dealer? BTW, I have it set in 'comfort' mode so it's not - presumably - a 'sports' issue.
    It's NOT an auto. It's a dual clutch jobbie.
    Don't back off the throttle, drive the thing and let it take control.
    Pretend you are driving a Golf GTI; we've all seen how those tools drive the things between gearbox replacements.

    Dave
    Kenfuego likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

    IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."


  16. #16
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks everyone. No, not driving with left foot! Also, it's quite
    disconcerting - especially in a brand new car! - to feel and see the
    revs rising rapidly. I know the days of carefully 'running a new motor
    in' are a bit past, but I still feel a bit of TLC in the early days pays
    dividends later. Must be my age! I do recall seeing a comment about the
    Megane gearbox not changing when expected in a professionally written
    review - but I can't recall where now. Oh, and I'm not sure I understand
    'it's not an auto'. Sorry - dual clutch or not, it feels like an
    automatic box to me! It's not a game-changer for me, because I can
    override it, but it would be nice to know if others have experienced
    this issue?

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinnc View Post
    Thanks everyone. No, not driving with left foot! Also, it's quite
    disconcerting - especially in a brand new car! - to feel and see the
    revs rising rapidly. I know the days of carefully 'running a new motor
    in' are a bit past, but I still feel a bit of TLC in the early days pays
    dividends later. Must be my age! I do recall seeing a comment about the
    Megane gearbox not changing when expected in a professionally written
    review - but I can't recall where now. Oh, and I'm not sure I understand
    'it's not an auto'. Sorry - dual clutch or not, it feels like an
    automatic box to me! It's not a game-changer for me, because I can
    override it, but it would be nice to know if others have experienced
    this issue?
    If your car has the dual clutch gearbox it's definitely an automatic - no confusing it. You're not changing gears - the computer in the car is. Even if you click a lever you're still just giving an instruction to a computer which then decides if it wants to change gears or not - an automatic.

    If you're not moving a gear physically in a box full of gears via rods, or cables then it's not a manual. If a computer changes gear for you it's an automatic. Some older ones used valves only - still an automatic.

    You can't 'manually' change a gear in a DCT gearbox - the computer will always do it for you. Flicking a lever is not changing a gear - it's giving an instruction to a computer. Even if you try and override the computer, the computer code still rules and will decide if it will allow you to do what you've requested.

    The lag you report on takeoff is most likely not the engine - it will be the gearbox. It's a common issue with computerized clutch pedal-less gearboxes. One of the reason a lot of manufacturers are switching back to torque converter autos as consumers are finding that these types of gearboxes give the responses that drivers expect and desire.

    https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...0160616-gpkryu

    Cheers

    Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  18. #18
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks for all the comments on the gear change issue. Now more Km are on the clock, it does seem to be getting better (or perhaps I'm learning!). I've noticed that it mainly seems to occur when there is an upward incline after starting and never when the road is relatively flat. As mentioned before, I can 'manually' override it (and normally do) and although it sounds quite 'scary', it's probably not as bad as it sounds. (That's not what my better half says, though!!)

    Another niggle with the car is the voice activated menu. It is very intermittent - sometimes it 'understands' and other times, just will not respond (and eventually switches off). It also has an irritating issue that it always tells me a USB stick "has no media files" yet the media that is on the stick will play faultlessly if selected via touch-screen menus. Anyone else had trouble with this technology? It seems to me to be a bit of a work in progress.......

    But these are minor irritations, and I must say that the more I drive the car, the more I like it!

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Ours is a 2015 and the gear changes are fine. A little lag when in R but not as much and not as jumpy as the Golf TDI - both are fine once used to it.
    Voice control is works just fine.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  20. #20
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Ours is a 2015 and the gear changes are fine. A little lag when in R but not as much and not as jumpy as the Golf TDI - both are fine once used to it.
    Voice control is works just fine.
    I read somewhere that the lag in reverse is a safety feature - made purposely to stop the car moving almost immediately when R is selected, and without light accelerator pressure. Yes, takes a little bit of getting used to - but I can see the common sense behind this detail.

    If your voice correctly control selects media on a USB stick, then it must be something I'm doing with the device - formatting? media files? I have two - different manufacturers and neither will allow selection of music from them in voice mode, but both work seamlessly when selected by touch screen menu. I've asked Renault if it is a known problem - no reply as yet......

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,865

    Default

    I found after a few years I had almost stopped using the voice control in my missus Mondeo. The only really useful thing that's more effective than manual selection is dialling phone numbers (eg. Phone, Call Home) or full on demisting (Climate, Demist). Otherwise it was better to use the relevant knobs etc.

    Or swearing at it and letting the young lady in the dash say 'I'm sorry' because it misunderstands.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinnc View Post
    If your voice correctly control selects media on a USB stick, then it must be something I'm doing with the device - formatting? media files? I have two - different manufacturers and neither will allow selection of music from them in voice mode, but both work seamlessly when selected by touch screen menu. I've asked Renault if it is a known problem - no reply as yet......
    Maybe i've mislead. I haven't used the it beyond selecting phone numbers. She does ask me what i want her to do (not so good for my imagination) and when asked for a particular person's phone it works.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeinnc View Post
    Thanks for all the comments on the gear change issue. Now more Km are on the clock, it does seem to be getting better (or perhaps I'm learning!). I've noticed that it mainly seems to occur when there is an upward incline after starting and never when the road is relatively flat. As mentioned before, I can 'manually' override it (and normally do) and although it sounds quite 'scary', it's probably not as bad as it sounds. (That's not what my better half says, though!!)

    Another niggle with the car is the voice activated menu. It is very intermittent - sometimes it 'understands' and other times, just will not respond (and eventually switches off). It also has an irritating issue that it always tells me a USB stick "has no media files" yet the media that is on the stick will play faultlessly if selected via touch-screen menus. Anyone else had trouble with this technology? It seems to me to be a bit of a work in progress.......

    But these are minor irritations, and I must say that the more I drive the car, the more I like it!
    More likely it is the CAR learning more so than you. Re the voice activated option - just be thankful you’re not Scottish!
    KB


  24. #24
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,865

    Default

    I've messed around with weird accents for a laff and the Mondie understands, mostly.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •