2017 Renault Megane GT - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 2017 Renault Megane GT

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    My question is: would one be able to keep the Megane GT wagon for a long time -- e.g. 13 years and more ? Or, everything starts breaking down much earlier, and the engine/drivetrain is unreliable ?
    As with all Renaults, this shouldn't be a problem. The predecessor F4R engines were certainly very long lived and very reliable - same with the corresponding gearboxes.

Cheers

Advertisement

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    My question is: would one be able to keep the Megane GT wagon for a long time -- e.g. 13 years and more ? Or, everything starts breaking down much earlier, and the engine/drivetrain is unreliable ?
    In 2015 I had a 2002 rs225 megane and it certainly kept going until a hilux decide to play argy bargy with it and it was written of (economicly).
    With the exception of the soft touch plastic dash parts that went slimy, the car held together fine.
    Jo

I think you could almost apply this to any car these days. I’m not sure it’s economically viable to keep any car that long unless you’re prepared to pay for expensive maintenance. Even simple things like replacing an alternator (which can now cost $800 plus fitting) or $2300 for an aircon compressor can seem a waste when spent on a $10+ yr old car.

Unless you have the mindset of averaging the expenditure over the life of the car, and not too worried about the short term “turbulence”.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    ............….Unless you have the mindset of averaging the expenditure over the life of the car, and not too worried about the short term “turbulence”.
    I've always advocated that approach. We just bought a third series II Scenic manual for $3100 and spent $2500 doing the overdue maintenance (belts, mounts, fluids....) and it seems good value. We'll expect to keep it for years until someone produces an adequately-designed replacement. Given depreciation costs that we avoid, a bit of repair work now and then to have a suitable vehicle for our needs is fine. But, you do want them to start and stop and run pretty reliably. I'd think any Megane would fit the bill although I'd worry, like any other brand, about a high mileage auto.

I draw the line closer to 20 years, not least as safety engineering has improved so much.
    Sunroof likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think you could almost apply this to any car these days. I’m not sure it’s economically viable to keep any car that long unless you’re prepared to pay for expensive maintenance. Even simple things like replacing an alternator (which can now cost $800 plus fitting) or $2300 for an aircon compressor can seem a waste when spent on a $10+ yr old car.

Unless you have the mindset of averaging the expenditure over the life of the car, and not too worried about the short term “turbulence”.
    You are right if you have repairs done by professionals. DIY is a lot cheaper especially if one is careful with sourcing parts.
    "We prefer to believe what we prefer to be true"
    Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    You are right if you have repairs done by professionals. DIY is a lot cheaper especially if one is careful with sourcing parts.
    Well, while I agree, most people are not in the DIY category.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information