Another R17 owner planning to upgrade - Page 7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
Results 151 to 159 of 159
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

  1. #151
    Fellow Frogger! Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Bump

    I've been think about the muffler for my 17. We will be adding a new stainless 2" system after the engine is done. Still thinking about the extractors from Europe or the current manifold but it would need new engine pipes from Holland if I stay with the manifold. Currently there is the usual silencer at the back and the expansion box just behind the gearbox.

    Motor will have the dual DCOE's so they will sound nice.

    What should I fit and where would I put it? Without being rude. Would look good at the back if it is stainless.
    I'd like a note but not to loud. A stainless sports one is what I'm thinking about, but what one is good for these engines?
    Suggestions would be great then I can search.

    Advertisement
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

  2. #152
    1000+ Posts bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sydney, Telopea. Bruz.
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    I'm surprised how quiet mine is with only one muffler.

    I vote one in the centre and then 2" straight back to its usual position, or just before, exit in front of the rear wheel so it doesn't have to bend up and over the rear beem

    And buying exhaust stuff overseas? surely you have an exhaust shop that would welcome the change from FG Falcons and Toyota land cruisers?

    Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

    "More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

  3. #153
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Shoji my local exhaust shop built a complete 2 inch system including two mufflers and the engine pipes as well as a flexible piece that R17TS/G have and a joiner at the end of the engine pipes so as it is easy to remove the engine or gearbox without having to cut pipes etc. From memory it was quite cheap considering. It was 7 years ago but I think $380 rings a bell.
    bowie and Shoji like this.

  4. #154
    Fellow Frogger! Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I'm surprised how quiet mine is with only one muffler.

    I vote one in the centre and then 2" straight back to its usual position, or just before, exit in front of the rear wheel so it doesn't have to bend up and over the rear beem

    And buying exhaust stuff overseas? surely you have an exhaust shop that would welcome the change from FG Falcons and Toyota land cruisers?

    Bowie. What type/brand muffler do you have?
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

  5. #155
    Fellow Frogger! Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    599

    Default

    New parts arrived while on holidays compliments of the Renault 12 shop. Wrong steering suspension part though. I wanted the under dash suspension block.

    Another R17 owner planning to upgrade-img_20180109_183812694.jpg
    bowie likes this.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

  6. #156
    Member nauli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Bump

    I've been think about the muffler for my 17. We will be adding a new stainless 2" system after the engine is done. Still thinking about the extractors from Europe or the current manifold but it would need new engine pipes from Holland if I stay with the manifold. Currently there is the usual silencer at the back and the expansion box just behind the gearbox.

    Motor will have the dual DCOE's so they will sound nice.

    What should I fit and where would I put it? Without being rude. Would look good at the back if it is stainless.
    I'd like a note but not to loud. A stainless sports one is what I'm thinking about, but what one is good for these engines?
    Suggestions would be great then I can search.
    Genie Exhausts in Myaree did my A110...
    1969 Alpine A110
    2016 Ford Focus RS
    2012 Nissan Pathfinder (these have a Renault engine)

  7. #157
    Fellow Frogger! Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    It was the poly bushes.
    Stupid poly bushes. Tried more brainiac work on them only for them to creak and groan even more.

    So I grabbed the old rubber ones and added some extra rubber skins to the inside hole with super glue. I used some heater pipe which I stripped the two layers. wrapped it around a 22m diameter socket and then forced over with glue the rubber bushes. worked well. cleaned up the grease. I fitted them back on the car but swapped original sides.
    No noise and no grease!!!
    JohnW, Sunroof and bowie like this.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

  8. #158
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    5,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    I used some heater pipe which I stripped the two layers. wrapped it around a 22m diameter socket and then forced over with glue the rubber bushes. worked well. cleaned up the grease.
    Was it rubber grease that was used? I'm thinking if it was anything else, it may not be heater hose rubber friendly.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  9. #159
    Fellow Frogger! Shoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mandurah WA
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Was it rubber grease that was used? I'm thinking if it was anything else, it may not be heater hose rubber friendly.
    Simon. I cleaned up the lithium grease used on the poly bushes before placing with the the old refurbished rubber bushes. No grease at all now. Silent as a mouse.
    Now to rebuild the back suspension, at a later date. A few more bits to collect.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •