Another R17 owner planning to upgrade - Page 15
  • Register
  • Help
Page 15 of 16 First ... 5111213141516 Last
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I'm presuming you mean "remote" not "bypass". A bypass filter doesn't take the full flow to filter it before it gets to lubricate anything. I know, pedantic.... Can't help it. Table #3 is looking good...…

Yes John I did mean remote. it'll go like this - hot engine oil to filter, then to cooler and then return to engine as Ray explained. And a good local filter is fine by me.

Advertisement
    JohnW likes this.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Thank Col. But I didn't have much luck with cross checking. It seems the Z9 doesn't have an equivalent in the Ryco SynTec so i'll call them today

Hmm. There's been much discussion on this one over the years. I like the Purflux because they are a quality product, compact and have a wonderful removal spanner that fits indentations on the filter body extremely well. Quite elegant.

Some have had reportedly bad experiences with the Ryco filters, but I must admit I used them for years on the R8 without problem.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Called Ryco and well I knew the Z9ST would fit but wanted a smaller version similar to the Z71 that the 807's use.
    oh well, there isn't. larger volume must be a good thing, right? to filter out the contaminates

COL

Hi Shoji

Have you thought about getting one of these? Right angle oil filter adapters

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garag...er,296642.html

I was looking on the Ryco Site and got these as the following dimensions for oil filters

Z71
    Height 79mm
    Seal 73mm
    Seam 97mm
    Thread 3/4-16-UNF
    Z9
    Height 139mm
    seal 70mm
    Seam 94mm
    Thread 3/4-16-UNF
    I also measured up the oil filters that I use which are Mann W77
    Height 60mm
    Seal 70mm
    Seam 77mm
    Thread 3/4-16-UNF

The height and seam measurements are just the external size of the oil filter, the important measurements are the seal size and the thread size.

I was thinking about getting one of these adaptors to just around the oil spillage down the side of the block when changing filters.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Yes Col they are good by the looks. But as you say , you get oil everywhere and now that I will have dual DCOE's in the way I thought remote would be to advantage. I've ordered/paid the two parts from Cov's. And Ray likes the hoses made up by Enzed. So mucking around. I just now have to settle on locations for all the bits but that can wait.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I was looking on the Ryco Site and got these as the following dimensions for oil filters

yes I also had a good look at all the syntec sizes but not sure if they would fit. But now you say they could fit, I will look at them closer when the parts come in. Run the toledo over them to see what could work. The Z9ST is quite big but could be good for the engine.

Always have a towel in the workshop. Probably a very old one, rejected by SWMBO, and put it through the washing machine after a hot water soak in Sard Wonder Soap powder. I recycle all my good "rags" this way.
    Shoji likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    yes I also had a good look at all the syntec sizes but not sure if they would fit. But now you say they could fit, I will look at them closer when the parts come in. Run the toledo over them to see what could work. The Z9ST is quite big but could be good for the engine.
    The Z9 filter fits Ford Falcon 6 cylinder engines
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Another R17 owner planning to upgrade-1533644653948.jpgAnother R17 owner planning to upgrade-1533644663634.jpgAnother R17 owner planning to upgrade-1533644671596.jpgThis is what I'm fitting. Remote filter block with thermostat. Bit tight getting the pipes to the cooler but seems to be working. Still got the pipes that go to and from the engine to go underneath. Braided hoses surprisingly easy to cut and put fittings on.
    Moroso 90 degree fitting off the engine block, not much room to the chassis in there on an A310-4.

Quote Originally Posted by 21571 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1533644653948.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	108165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1533644663634.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	108166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1533644671596.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	108167This is what I'm fitting. Remote filter block with thermostat. Bit tight getting the pipes to the cooler but seems to be working. Still got the pipes that go to and from the engine to go underneath. Braided hoses surprisingly easy to cut and put fittings on.
    Moroso 90 degree fitting off the engine block, not much room to the chassis in there on an A310-4.

Looks a very tight space in there 21571. Mine should be a doddle
    While we are looking at oil cooling. I might look at the other cooling system a bit closer a give it an appraisal. If needed. Thermostat, pipes and radiator.

1000+ Posts

All that pipe work looks complicated and expensive. Oil pressure isn't that high. The original oil cooler and filter has rubber oil hose with normal clamps. Why the complication and cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    All that pipe work looks complicated and expensive. Oil pressure isn't that high. The original oil cooler and filter has rubber oil hose with normal clamps. Why the complication and cost?
    Know what your saying Sunroof. Make it nice - because we can.
    But we are looking after the engines important fluids. Especially when your've spent so much
    Another R17 owner planning to upgrade-img_20180808_150742338.jpgOvernight airbag by Covs. very quick
    bowie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    The Alpine and R17 spare parts catalogues sure look like they use braided hose, with screw on fittings. The coolers, filter blocks etc. all are designed for AN fittings, so hose clamps aren't applicable.
    The basic fittings aren't expensive on eBay. Braided hose is less than $20/m.
    And they're shiny.
    Shoji and bowie like this.

Looks a very tight space in there 21571. Mine should be a doddle
    While we are looking at oil cooling. I might look at the other cooling system a bit closer a give it an appraisal. If needed. Thermostat, pipes and radiator.
    Get the radiator flushed! Who knows how much crap has accumulated in the last 40 years.

COL

Get the radiator flushed! Who knows how much crap has accumulated in the last 40 years.
    I pulled the end tanks off mine and rodded out the tubes, the amount of stuff in there was a wonder any water got through.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

I have had one of them done/serviced and is in the car. It's the larger one which is an original with a thermo fan. It's smicko but because I've had trouble with the larger one in it's first winter not keeping warm enough I will have the other smaller one serviced which would be good for winter. Rad shop is a walk over the road.
    I have a skirt in front of 1/3 of the rad currently and it's very happy
    Thermostat will be checked for temp number/operation when we pull the old motor out very soon (after the 19th of this month)

The old motor, there are two? *gasps*

Also, oil temperature, I assume when it gets too hot it looses it's ability to protect, (decrease viscosity) but surely modern oils have a fairly large operating range? How hot we talking about here?

Or does a cooler allow you to simply run thinner oils in the knowledge that the temperature is regulated?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    The old motor, there are two? *gasps*

Also, oil temperature, I assume when it gets too hot it looses it's ability to protect, (decrease viscosity) but surely modern oils have a fairly large operating range? How hot we talking about here?

Or does a cooler allow you to simply run thinner oils in the knowledge that the temperature is regulated?

Bowie. How could I/we be in so many places in the r17 in the last 6 months, Classic cars n coffee, Nannup, etc and have the engine being built by GekoEng? you better read back to numero 1#
    The R17 tardis
    It did cross my mind of how the engine, oil and water sync and the effects. But I don't know...

I've asked the question about oil temps on this forum before. Probably in the course of normal driving you won't need an oil cooler. The A310 doesn't have a huge radiator, and they came from the factory with an oil cooler so I figured I should put one back on. Not a fan of 'normal' driving myself.

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Shoji likes this.

I've asked the question about oil temps on this forum before. Probably in the course of normal driving you won't need an oil cooler. The A310 doesn't have a huge radiator, and they came from the factory with an oil cooler so I figured I should put one back on. Not a fan of 'normal' driving myself.

And with a performance car 21571, who would want to drive normal?

As Ray is building a performance engine for the R17, why would you rely the standard oil system of a pump and pan?
    baffles have been added to the pan and extra crankcase vents along with the cooler.
    21571 likes this.

Default WTB R17 old engine mounts.

WTB R17 old engine mounts.

Worn out or broken is fine. We need them for templates ASAP.

WTB R17 old engine mounts.

Worn out or broken is fine. We need them for templates ASAP.
    Which bits? I have an R17 motor sitting here, can't remember where I unbolted it though. Not sure how fast I can post either. Another R17 owner planning to upgrade-1534214544043.jpg

Which bits? I have an R17 motor sitting here, can't remember where I unbolted it though. Not sure how fast I can post either. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1534214544043.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	108348

Hi 21571. It turns out Ray today has solved the conversion of engine mounts for a 16ts block to fit my R17 and it's brilliant. So I won't need any templates/mounts now. But we are still mucking around with the internal selector shafts in the 395 box.
    But thanks for your attention to my request.

Hmm another 17 block hmm....and Wray supercharger. hmmm another challenge???

My worth.

If it had an oil cooler those days, put it back for authenticity and if you have one and would like to put it on it will always make an impression on somebody. However, with the oil technology of today I don't think a street car needs one, not even a hot street car.

A few years ago a Le Mans team that, I can't remember who, had 2 identical cars running. It could be Porsches because they have a weak point in the front were the oil cooler is located, and one of these cars were in a get together. It limped back to the pits and the oil cooler was by-passed so it could carry on. After the 24 hours the 2 engines were stripped and no difference in wear could be measured between the oil cooled one and the non-oil cooled one.

Frans.
    JohnW likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Page 15 of 16 First ... 5111213141516 Last

Thread Information