330 big box yoke build
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By manicgt
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 2 Post By geckoeng

Thread: 330 big box yoke build

Default 330 big box yoke build

330 big box yoke build-336-trans-into-330-case-1.jpg330 big box yoke build-336-trans-into-330-case-21.jpg

I was trying to get a couple of gear boxes together for my Renault projects and was wondering about a alternate way of having the large splines made into the 330 yokes and was wondering about welding the larger sleeves that are fitted to the lager axles of the 352, or 395 etc . into the 330 yokes ? I have asked around here at various machine shops and they never have heard of acr errosion and they seem some what reluctant to do something for me so I started looking for my own solution .

I have included a couple of pictures as to what I have started to do and was wondering if anyone has tried this approach before and if so had any success with it ??

Advertisement

My rational is that the larger sleeve was welded into the knuckle originally and when I turned down a piece of tubing and test welded it into the yoke it seemed to penetrate well and when ground away there didn't seem to be any signs of porosity !!??

Any thought would be appreciated !

Manic gt.
    Sunroof likes this.

I would try it. I think that if you can turn the 12's spline out of the cv joint and reduce the back behind the splines a little and then machine the 330 yoke with a big hole in it and press fit the 12's splines into the 330 yoke and then weld it? You can then have a weld in front and another at the back of the yoke and having a sleeve where the 12's splines fit into will guide it to be more true before welding.

Frans.
    Sunroof likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Fellow Frogger!

When I fitted VW 1500 beetle half shafts to the Euroua for the F2/F1 style double wishbone/trailing arm suspension, we welded the VW inner shaft to the 16TS inner shafts after the yoke was turned off in the lathe. It is a very strong joint and easily copes with the stresses of 10 inch wide slicks on a 750 kg car. We do standing starts, not rolling starts.

330 big box yoke build-tri2470.jpg

Manic ,
    I am not sure of your Google skills, but you live on the boarder of one of the biggest Engineering industries in the world. Toronto and Detroit mass make some of the most intricate parts in industry, and they are less than 200km away. I found 2 companies in a short space of time that are very able to do exactly what you require.

I would say that all main cities have engineering works that are capable of EDM wire cutting, any where in the world. Two companies you can contact, and there are many more in this area :

https://www.edmcutinc.com/

Cold Forming Tooling | Wire EDM | Carbide Die | Header Die & Tool Inc.

Tell them what you want and send sample male and female parts, and the yokes you want machined.

330 big box yoke build-20170717_154812.jpg

Simple,
    Have a good day,
    Ray
    Bustamif and COL like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Franz I like your suggestion and probably will proceed with the machining and the yoke weld will post results when completed !

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and thoughts !!

Manic GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I would try it. I think that if you can turn the 12's spline out of the cv joint and reduce the back behind the splines a little and then machine the 330 yoke with a big hole in it and press fit the 12's splines into the 330 yoke and then weld it? You can then have a weld in front and another at the back of the yoke and having a sleeve where the 12's splines fit into will guide it to be more true before welding.

Frans.

Hi Manic G T
    In Australia we build large splined universal joints with heavier crosses for use in Big Box 330 gearboxes
    The cost of these joints a pair is $500 plus shipping.

If your interested you can contact me.
    Rob Sealey

Thread Information