• 1 Post By halfamill
  • 3 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By JAJEA
  • 3 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By 68 404

Thread: Yuk what a mess.

Default Yuk what a mess.

Our latest wreck just arrived today, this 9 month old Captur hit very hard on the left side. Passenger was killed.
    Yuk puts a rotten feeling in your stomach.

This was a rental, the dad rented it so everything including the insurance was all signed by him. Unfortunately he went out and got himself shit faced and made his daughter drive home. Seems he wasn't wearing a seat belt because his body was thrown out of the car, there's blood over the inside pillers where he excited via the window.

Advertisement

The daughter now has the face the fact that she's lost her dad and deal with the rental company who want there money.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yuk what a mess.-captur-1.jpg   Yuk what a mess.-captur-2.jpg   Yuk what a mess.-captur-3.jpg   Yuk what a mess.-captur-4.jpg  
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

eeeep!

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Sounds like a legal nightmare. Wonder whose fault the collision was? Seems like a failed to give way to the right scenario on the part of the other party....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Sounds like a legal nightmare. Wonder whose fault the collision was? Seems like a failed to give way to the right scenario on the part of the other party....
    Don't know what happened, but yes a legal nightmare, I hope it wasn't her fault, a car come through a stop sign or something like that because she's going to be in deep if she caused it, plus coping with losing her dad.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

EURO NCAP 5 rated cars look different when they get hit in the real world???
    Alain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by halfamill View Post
    EURO NCAP 5 rated cars look different when they get hit in the real world???
    Intrusion into the passenger compartment looks moderate. David suggested the occupant was ejected through not wearing a seatbelt. 5 Star cars beat anything with less, or as some might own, none.

Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Probably survivable with seatbelt in place and airbags deployed. Lesson for all, but those that know better, though I have seen some full of ink that survive worse in the long distant past.

COL

Yes you need to be wearing the safety equipment for it to work for you.

Also isn't the driver responsible for their passengers wearing seat belts?

Another death on our roads that most probably could be avoided if the passenger was wearing a seat belt and the other driver took a bit more care.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

I attended a recent minor accident. Front on into a tree on a bend. Front passengers with seat belts on, no injuries. Rear passengers with no seat belts, hospital visit, including one with smashed elbow. But it was the tree which stopped them driving over a 30 or 40 metre cliff. Imagine if the car had rolled over that.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I attended a recent minor accident. Front on into a tree on a bend. Front passengers with seat belts on, no injuries. Rear passengers with no seat belts, hospital visit, including one with smashed elbow. But it was the tree which stopped them driving over a 30 or 40 metre cliff. Imagine if the car had rolled over that.
    Sounds like they were very lucky, outcome could of been much different.

Wearing a seat belt is a no brainer.
    jaahn, UFO and markb2501 like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Sounds like they were very lucky, outcome could of been much different.

Wearing a seat belt is a no brainer.
    It's certainly a "no brainer" but regretfully some people have no brains.

Reminds me of hopping into a taxi from Athens airport heading for Athens CBD. A Skoda taxi, in no time, we were travelling at 180 kph on the freeway. We voiced our concerns at the speed he was travelling and the fact that he was not wearing a seat belt!

He tried to assure us that all is OK ("ola kala" - found out the derivative of OK) and would not slow down and certainly to wear a seat belt was sissy - all we could do was tighten our seat belts

Thereafter every car we hopped in, nobody else put seat belts on whilst we automatically put on our seat belts and we were frowned upon; "why, don't you trust me?"

Sorry, nothing to do with trusting. Where we come from, we have been wearing seat belts for 50 years (first set installed in a Fiat 1500 MkII) notwithstanding that it has become mandatory

By the time we left for home we were convinced that Greeks had their brains switched off once in a car!

Agreed, it's a no brainer, the fantastic safety features in modern vehicles only work if the occuments are in their seats.

Regards,

John
    UFO and markb2501 like this.

That poor girl is going to be dealing for the rest of her life with a terrible mix of grief at losing her dad, guilt at thinking it was her fault, and anger at her dad for putting her in that position and not wearing his belt. Just tragic. But a reminder for us all.
    David Cavanagh, UFO and markb2501 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    It's certainly a "no brainer" but regretfully some people have no brains.

Reminds me of hopping into a taxi from Athens airport heading for Athens CBD. A Skoda taxi, in no time, we were travelling at 180 kph on the freeway. We voiced our concerns at the speed he was travelling and the fact that he was not wearing a seat belt!

He tried to assure us that all is OK ("ola kala" - found out the derivative of OK) and would not slow down and certainly to wear a seat belt was sissy - all we could do was tighten our seat belts

Thereafter every car we hopped in, nobody else put seat belts on whilst we automatically put on our seat belts and we were frowned upon; "why, don't you trust me?"

Sorry, nothing to do with trusting. Where we come from, we have been wearing seat belts for 50 years (first set installed in a Fiat 1500 MkII) notwithstanding that it has become mandatory

By the time we left for home we were convinced that Greeks had their brains switched off once in a car!

Agreed, it's a no brainer, the fantastic safety features in modern vehicles only work if the occuments are in their seats.

Regards,

John
    In our Skoda, if someone is seated and not wearing seat belt the warning sounder is unable to be ignored.

I guess the vehicle is customized to relevant safety standards (or lack of them) in the country of sale.
    UFO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    That poor girl is going to be dealing for the rest of her life with a terrible mix of grief at losing her dad, guilt at thinking it was her fault, and anger at her dad for putting her in that position and not wearing his belt. Just tragic. But a reminder for us all.

That's what I was going to say.

What a horrible situation for everybody.

About wearing seat belts, it is a very strong cultural situation. I just wear one everywhere because I think it is the best idea. And it is illegal in all EU countries to not wear one, I don't care what anyone says. Taxi drivers might have exemptions, but not the passengers.

Why did you catch a taxi from the Athens airport anyway? There's a train that takes you straight in the middle of the city from the airport with no stops along the way. It is higher than the road too, so you get a better view of everything and it is a very modern, very nice train.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Not an issue with the Greeks Robmac. They all have a seat belt clip to fool the seat belt warning system.

We hired a C3 in Thessaloniki - it was just delivered to the Car Hirer, seats still covered in plastic. The owner was a bit apprehensive in hiring it to us but a week plus hire changed his mind.

Upon its return, we asked for a taxi to take us to the airport. He told us no need as the very same C3 was scheduled to go to the hirer at the airport and he would be happy to take us.

He of course chose to drive. Upon starting and moving off there was this irrating warning sound that there was something drastically wrong with the C3 (like no LHM which was not possible in the new C3). We felt a bit guilty as we just returned the brand new C3 and never heard such a sound. He assured that it was nothing we had done and that irritating sound as the seat belt "not on" audible warning.

We never heard such a sound as our seat belts were on nefore starting! He told us that he had forgotten his "seat belt clip" and was prepared to continue. We convinced him to stop and put his seat belt on.

Funny, that irritating sound stopped.

I believe that the "new" seat belt warning systems require a person in the seat plus the clip secured.

John

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    In our Skoda, if someone is seated and not wearing seat belt the warning sounder is unable to be ignored.

I guess the vehicle is customized to relevant safety standards (or lack of them) in the country of sale.

If you don't wear your seat belts all bets are off.
    5 star safety ratings, anti submarining seats, airbags, crumple zones - they all become instantly null and void due to the foolhardiness of the bozo occupant

Dave
    robmac and UFO like this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi estate
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.0 dCi 4WD
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thread Information