Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By R8philSA
  • 1 Post By HarryA
  • 3 Post By Sunroof
  • 2 Post By renault8&10

Thread: Stop oil leaks.

Default Stop oil leaks.

Is there anybody out there that has used the STOP LEAK SEAL EXPANDER fluid added to oil that is advertised by Peter Maher in local car magazines?
    What did you think of it.
    Cheers Phil.

Advertisement

Why stuff around with weird lotions and potions? If there is a leak, beyond what a factory may have intended, it usually means the seal is worn, what the seal is bearing on is worn, or what is pushing the oil out through the seal is worn.

Therefore, my thought is that the money spent on the magic lotion would be better invested on a more lasting repair job. I know, as usual, just another useless reply.
    Sunroof and JohnW like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Hi Phil
    I too think that bottles of magic potion do not work. Sometimes I have used them in specific situations when they could do something.
    Those potions to stop oil leaks rely on swelling the seal rubber and gaskets a bit. If this will fix your problem then it could be worth doing BUT you must keep putting the stuff in.

If as 'Simon says' the seals are worn out or gone hard or the lip has fallen off etc then no magic stuff will fix it. I had a R20 years ago that the rear seal leaked a bit for a while then badly. I tried the potions as I was busy etc. When i fixed it, it turned out the seal had come out of the recess. There was a reason, but the point is nothing would have helped that to seal again.

Recently I am replacing the timing belt and seals on my sons Holden Combo motor. The seals are as hard as bakelite. Nothing will make them soft and compliant and seal again. Not to mention the groove in the shafts.
    Jaahn

Thanks Simon and Jaahn for your comments.

I have a very small seep from the drive shaft seal Left Inner on the Caravelle so I simply haven't the time to pull the thing down as the BARN FIND is top priority at the moment.
    Depending on the cost of the potion I might use it for a year until I get time.
    I was hoping that someone might have given some reasonable feedback but like me I'm a believer when I see it work so mine might be a test case.
    The manufacture states it is not for seals that are cracked and allows large oil leaks but for seals that seep.
    Let's see what happens.
    Barn Find work is so slow in the cold garages in the Winter!! Just came back from 3 weeks in Cairns, Pt Douglas and Sunshine Coast no wonder there are so many restorations getting around up there, Its warm even at night.
    Cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by R8philSA; 9th July 2017 at 01:48 AM.
    jaahn likes this.

Don't forget to do a compression test as well. Broken rings can also cause oil leaks
    Harry
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

Default Gearbox Leak

Sorry did not read the thread properly

Harry
    jaahn likes this.
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

Hi Phil, you said "left drive shaft seal". Do you mean you can see it is coming into the u-joint housing at the inside of the swing axle, or is it leaking from the joint between the crownwheel carrier and the transaxle casing? If the latter, a few drips are pretty normal as that paper gasket is easily moved a bit when something is done after it is first tightened. If the former, I'd suspect the seal is pretty damn hard as they go for decades without a leak.

I'll be interested to hear the next instalment. I can't offer any experience in those seal softeners myself.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks for that John, I'll keep you posted. Pretty sure its the oil seeping into the u-joint housing at the inside of the swing axle. Mind you a teaspoon every 3 months is approx leakage rate, It just looks bad!
    Phil

A teaspoon of oil spreads a long way on a floor, that's for sure.

So it is coming out where the swing axle pivots, past the felt seals?

I guess if it doesn't get worse, live with it for a while but don't drive to Sydney until it is fixed! It's just in that frustrating area where you know it isn't right but it isn't a major issue yet.

Good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

You could be lucky, it might be coming through the threads of the mounting bolts, which go through to the oily bits. Two of my cars have recently leaked there after I went to the trouble of replacing all seals gaskets etc. Looking back that is probably where it was coming from in the first place, before I decided on a complete replacement of seals and gaskets. Drain the oil, dry out the holes with a screw driver wrapped with a small piece of rag. Put some thread seal back on the threads and retighten. It was only the bottom two or three bolts and tensioning them to the correct tension didn't fix the fault. It needed the thread seal.
    COL, JohnW and jaahn like this.

Very interesting. Thanks Sunroof
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    You could be lucky, it might be coming through the threads of the mounting bolts, which go through to the oily bits. Two of my cars have recently leaked there after I went to the trouble of replacing all seals gaskets etc. Looking back that is probably where it was coming from in the first place, before I decided on a complete replacement of seals and gaskets. Drain the oil, dry out the holes with a screw driver wrapped with a small piece of rag. Put some thread seal back on the threads and retighten. It was only the bottom two or three bolts and tensioning them to the correct tension didn't fix the fault. It needed the thread seal.

It's Renault's way of ensuring you regularly change the gearbox oil, perfectly normal!!
    COL and 27of85 like this.
    KB

Thread Information