Clio Sport Needs New Box
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Clio Sport Needs New Box

Hi diamond crew, I've wandered over from
    The Peugeot forum.

There's a Clio Sport on Gumtree requiring a new gearbox.

Opinions: go for it or pass?

Advertisement

Does the 2002 Clio sport have a different box to the big standard Clio?
    Currently:
    Mazda MX-5 (my third and the third generation NC).
    Lazily looking for a 205 daily driver.
    Previously:
    Peugeot 206, Peugeot 205, Honda CR-Z, BMW 3-Series (2), Audi A4 (2), BMW Z3, Mazda MX-5 (2), Saab 900, Morris Mini, Mazda 121, Nissan Pulsar and Holden Gemini.

The 'box on an RS Clio is unique to the model, and of a higher rating than the Clio "Normale". So it will best be replaced by one from another (equivalent, as there are also different versions) RS Clio2, then you need to know the history of that particular replacement 'box.

Though the 'boxes are labelled as sealed for life, they may last longer with regular fluid changes, as the bearings can get starved if fluid levels drop. It may also be worth checking out Renault for a new 'box, they were knocking them out a few years ago for circa $1,200, so it may be worth paying the extra for peace of mind if the price of the car (and its condition apart from the 'box) is right.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

At $2K I don't think its cheap.
    If you get your timing right I think you'd find a Sport box for between $250 to $400, and even then I think it has to be a 172 box as even the 182 is geared different.
    It might not even be a gearbox and just a drive shaft but who knows.
    I'd Pass.
    if you really want a 172 or 182 just be patient and cheap ones pop up that still drive. My lastest 182 Cup cost $4000 a rwc, transfer fee and all up under $4250
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the advice people! It's got low KMs which begs the question as to why the box needs replacing in the first place.

1000+ Posts

The question should be does it really need a new box. Who diagnosed it and what is wrong with it.

I bought a R10S that had bearing rattle on start up. All it needed was the correct oil filter. Bought a Fugeo with crunching second gear. All it needed was the correct type of gear oil. The auto on my R15 went so I changed it to manual. Later decided to play with the auto and found a chewed up shim was all that was needed to fix the fault. Perhaps more detailed info is required, it may be a simple and cheap fix.

Thread Information