Floride seatbelt mounts
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Floride seatbelt mounts

Fellow Frogger!

Default Floride seatbelt mounts

As I repair and replace parts of my rusty shell, I am having trouble finding any, or any substantial seatbelt anchor points. I now suspect there were none on this car ?

I would appreciate any info from those who have faced a similar Floride/Caravelle seatbelt mounting problem.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

First, fit a roll hoop . . .

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

To answer your question, what seat belts!
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    I now suspect there were none on this car ?
    Correct. Seat belt anchorage points were only included on the 1964 onwards model year Renaults. So the Floride missed out on having them from the factory.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    First, fit a roll hoop . . .
    I am looking at that too, the main hoop is easy but the brace to the rear is a little harder. Any ideas ?. I have seen a few with belts but no road going versions with roll over protection.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    To answer your question, what seat belts!
    This owner found a solution. It even has a shoulder strap. Any ideas as to what it was mounted to, there is no roll over protection ?

Floride seatbelt mounts-tribda6.jpg

G'day,

I don't have any solution for you but will a modification such as fitting seat belts require engineer certification in NSW?
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Fellow Frogger!

Could be considered a modification which is why I am trying to find some detail on the original mounts. I should call it a Caravelle and reproduce those mounts hence the need to get some detail. Roll bar would be a real issue.

I do have a Caravelle manual at home, will have a look at seat belt details tonight and report back..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Off track but that red interior is gorgeous. No contrasting piping, no fancy stitching or patterns. Just subtle and classy.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    I do have a Caravelle manual at home, will have a look at seat belt details tonight and report back..
    Thanks heaps, that would be great. Since the floor is out of the car at the moment it is a good time to work on the seat belt options.
    BTW I hope that fan worked out OK.

The fan looks great, certainly much better than the one I had. I haven't installed the new fan yet though.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

This owner found a solution. It even has a shoulder strap. Any ideas as to what it was mounted to, there is no roll over protection ?
    My Florides that have had seat belts installed by previous owners have had a hole through the floor and a 3 to 5mm plate or very large thick washer under the nut.
    Shoulder strap ones have been fixed to where the bolt on hard top is attached with no real reinforcing.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

COL

Some of the hardware from this site may give you some clues of what will work best:

https://www.seatsafe.com.au/SeatbeltAccessories

There is also some other information there about seat belt installation.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

G'day Chris,

I'm not too much help in the seat belt department. The Caravelle parts manual only makes one reference to seat belt mounts, attached herein. I found a couple of pics on the net but this is about all I can contribute.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride seatbelt mounts-1963-renault-caravelle-interior.jpg   Floride seatbelt mounts-img_5332.jpg   Floride seatbelt mounts-ukl%3B.jpg   Floride seatbelt mounts-img_5332.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Graham and others, I now have a good idea on what I can do for the lap belt mounts.
    The only issue now is working out something for the shoulder area without restricting the soft top operation.
    Since I have plenty of cars with lids, I want to use this one with the top mostly down.

The Caravelle R1133 parts catalogue goes one step further, with the optional lap/sash belts being featured. The mount location for the sash appearing similar to that in an early Torana, located further behind the B-pillar (rather than at the B-pillar, where it would slide off).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floride seatbelt mounts-dsc09117.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

1000+ Posts

Four seat Caravelle.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The Caravelle R1133 parts catalogue goes one step further, with the optional lap/sash belts being featured. The mount location for the sash appearing similar to that in an early Torana, located further behind the B-pillar (rather than at the B-pillar, where it would slide off).
    Thanks Simon, do you have anything that shows more detail of the point on the shell where that attaches ?

Fellow Frogger!

That picture is of my car, I had a plate welded into the upper rear quarter panel near the door opening with a nut welded to the rear of the plate. This is positioned just below the hardtop retaining bracket. It is just high enough to give the seatbelt the height clearance so it fits comfortably over the shoulder, and because it is retractable, and has the retractor mounted on the floor, I have approx. 10X4cm plates under the floor as strengthening brackets. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRIBDA6.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	97696[/QUOTE]

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chris, very helpful info. I was not looking at belt mounts last time I saw your car. It is a great car on so many levels. I will take a closer look next time I see it, maybe Bastille day if you are there again this year.

Hi, Some seats (like the M-Benz seats in my R10 have the seat belt stalks bolted to the seat frame, as they were in the original MB installation.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Thanks Simon, do you have anything that shows more detail of the point on the shell where that attaches ?
    Sorry, no, beyond what is in the R1133 catalogue. Even the brochure was no help, as nothing in that era featured seat belts and that area appears trimmed over.

I've scoured the parts catalogues and found a few useless things. That actual vertical panel between the B-pillar and rear wheel arch is the same part number in both the 1st edition 8/1962 (pre-seat belt) R1131 catalogue, and the final edition 10/1968 R1133 catalogue. Given that Renault usually changed part numbers at the drop of a hat, this would indicate there was no captive nut in that panel for the sash. However the optional seat belts only show a bolt for attaching the sash - the kit not including a reinforcement plate for the sash (the floor included the captive nuts - featured in the R1133 catalogue as standard). Whether it is a parts catalogue anomaly or not I don't know, I've never ripped apart a late Caravelle and seen that area for a sash anchorage point.

Therefore as concluded above, things seem reasonably free (within normal engineering and safety practice) to locate a mounting point for the sash as indicated by Mr Hartwell.

I know, a long reply for a short, negative, reply question..... :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Fellow Frogger!

Makes sense to me. I have enough info for the floor and will make a couple of templates for the sash based on the ADR's. I will also check the sash mount on the Hartwell car if I get a chance before I weld-r-up.

1000+ Posts

Just one suggestion:

If the seatbelt is intended as a safety item then I'd very much recommend not using an inertia reel retractable belt but fitting a manually adjusted 3 point lap/sash belt. More clutter & fuss but also a much safer item if one has the wit to adjust it properly. Rationale for this has been given before but can be repeated if anyone wants it.

cheers! Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information