352 4 spd leaks like a sieve - why?
  • Help
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 352 4 spd leaks like a sieve - why?

Default 352 4 spd leaks like a sieve - why?

Hi Froggers,
    I've been putting my daughter's 17TL back together now after having cut out all the rust, paint it back to original colour and slowly sourcing odds and ends from here and there.

Advertisement

Although it runs nicely, I must say I'm getting a little tired of the little hypoid puddles it leaves everywhere. That burnt hypoid stench is not very pleasant either and I'm sure I'm contributing to my early demise with the fumes.

I am about to rebuild the original gearbox as that used to leak too, but I don't want to go to the trouble of installing it knowing I missed a small part which is the cause to the leaks. Are there any tricks in getting them to seal well? I have installed new seals in the box in the car now, but still no good. Would you recommend an oil slinger between the bearing and seal? Or an o ring. Merci.

Administrator

I could be wrong as it may have been a third hand story, but I believe the original Renault half shaft seals had a felt ring or similar. Having said that, I've yet to see an early box (anything that seals on the drive shaft) not weep or leak atleast a little.

Firstly these never sealed well when new, but never really haemorrhaged oil either. There are also a few different types of seal fitting in the ring nut on the side of the gearbox. Also if the driveshaft where it bears on the seal is worn and scored, it will leak. Also oil leaks through the splines of the output shafts on the gearbox and out through the roll pin holes. So always seal where the roll pin holes are with silicone (probably the only time you'd use silicone sealer on a car). So as you can probably see, there are a few sources.

Also o il can leak through the selector shaft seal at the rear of the gearbox. To solve this fully, the whole selector shaft needs to be pulled from the housing and the bushes renewed as well as the seal. Otherwise the shaft moves in the worn bushes, wears the seal prematurely, and the leaks start again......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

COL

Hi Stimpy

They can leak from several places, like the speedo drive, gear selector shaft and drive shaft seals. They will also leak from the roll pin holes if you have not put sealant in the holes.

The drive shaft seals are the main area of grief as the output shafts wear in the diff and also the spines wear which allows the drive shaft to move around in the oil seal. You will see what I mean if you get hold of the inner joint and move it up and down or side to side.

Another place of concern is also where the seal runs on the inner joint, this can be worn on old drive shafts.

The burnt stench of gear oil is where the left drive shaft drops oil onto the exhaust, this is also the side that seems to leak the most because its the hardest to get at because of the exhaust.

These are just my thoughts from many years of fixing the oil leaks in these boxes, good luck with it.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL

Look like Simon and I were replying at the same time.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

1000+ Posts

I concur with Simon and Col. Also a worn drive shaft end where the seal rubs can be repaired with a kit that uses a very thin shim tube. (Can't think of their name at present.) They can be bought from good parts places. I have used them with sucess. Also there is an "O" ring on the inside of the spline that the drive shaft presses against that is supposed to stop ( perhaps limit ) the oil that seeps along the drive shaft spline and possibly prevents slight movement of the shaft. Given every thing else has been done I will almost bet it is at the roll pins, an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Firstly these never sealed well when new, but never really haemorrhaged oil either. There are also a few different types of seal fitting in the ring nut on the side of the gearbox. Also if the driveshaft where it bears on the seal is worn and scored, it will leak. Also oil leaks through the splines of the output shafts on the gearbox and out through the roll pin holes. So always seal where the roll pin holes are with silicone (probably the only time you'd use silicone sealer on a car). So as you can probably see, there are a few sources.

Also o il can leak through the selector shaft seal at the rear of the gearbox. To solve this fully, the whole selector shaft needs to be pulled from the housing and the bushes renewed as well as the seal. Otherwise the shaft moves in the worn bushes, wears the seal prematurely, and the leaks start again......
    To stop any leaks at the selector shaft I have many times used a smaller seal ,from memory the shaft is 13mm X 32 mm and I use a 12 X 32 mm seal it is a tight fit on the shaft and allows for a fair bit of wear on the bushes , the smaller seal following the shaft around its free play limits .

The selector shaft has so little movement it does not appear to wear either the seal or the shaft.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I concur with Simon and Col. Also a worn drive shaft end where the seal rubs can be repaired with a kit that uses a very thin shim tube. (Can't think of their name at present.) They can be bought from good parts places. I have used them with sucess. Also there is an "O" ring on the inside of the spline that the drive shaft presses against that is supposed to stop ( perhaps limit ) the oil that seeps along the drive shaft spline and possibly prevents slight movement of the shaft. Given every thing else has been done I will almost bet it is at the roll pins, an easy fix.
    Speedi Sleeve, here are some examples:

https://www.colliermiller.com.au/cat...speedi-sleeves
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Stimpy, Not much to add as all previous posts pretty much spot on,only extra I can think of is breather valve at top of g/box to be checked as to whether it is blocked or not.if it is blocked when gearbox heats up with use pressure will increase inside and possibly blow oil past a seal. just a thought, jim

Icon14

Thanks guys. This stuff is just not in the service manual (except the silicone in the roll pin bit). I'm looking forward to drip free challenge now.

Thread Information