Styrofoam Adhesive
  • Help

Default Styrofoam Adhesive

Guys,

My Scenic is suffering from the dreaded "C-Pillar Sag" that needs to be remedied.
    I need to reattach the cloth but have not has any luck finding an adhesive for the task.
    Obviously it can't be a solvent-based adhesive (that will dissolve the Styrofoam) so that rules out the majority of the common adhesive. Of the water-based types, I've tried a few (PVA and starch based) but they either didn't hold at all or for a few minutes only. Has anyone done these before and was anything successful?

Styrofoam Adhesive-scenic-c-pillar-1.jpgStyrofoam Adhesive-scenic-c-pillar-2.jpg

The C-pillar trim in these fit from the back door to the hatch aperture and are a bit of a PITA to remove.
    The trim fits from the top down and from front to back so one has to strip out the boot trim, and the bottom of the C-pillar before you can get to the top C-pillar section. While it only takes about 30 minutes per side once the boot's empty, but the clips often break so you get rattly trim afterward so gluing in-situ would be preferred.

(Yes, I guess I could take it to a motor trimmer but thought I'd try first)

Cheers
    Ren

Advertisement
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Guys,

My Scenic is suffering from the dreaded "C-Pillar Sag" that needs to be remedied.
    I need to reattach the cloth but have not has any luck finding an adhesive for the task.
    Obviously it can't be a solvent-based adhesive (that will dissolve the Styrofoam) so that rules out the majority of the common adhesive. Of the water-based types, I've tried a few (PVA and starch based) but they either didn't hold at all or for a few minutes only. Has anyone done these before and was anything successful?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenic C-Pillar 1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	97341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scenic C-Pillar 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	97342

The C-pillar trim in these fit from the back door to the hatch aperture and are a bit of a PITA to remove.
    The trim fits from the top down and from front to back so one has to strip out the boot trim, and the bottom of the C-pillar before you can get to the top C-pillar section. While it only takes about 30 minutes per side once the boot's empty, but the clips often break so you get rattly trim afterward so gluing in-situ would be preferred.

(Yes, I guess I could take it to a motor trimmer but thought I'd try first)

Cheers
    Ren
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-750...esive_p1210287

1000+ Posts

I was going to suggest a sikaflex type product, but that looks better. I've had great outcomes with sika products generally.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Have tried to fix sagging head linings for years.
    Never looks quite right after.

Get a motor trimmer and he might be able to reuse what is there.

Any attempts to fix will not allow this happen

1000+ Posts

Just had my Scenic the whole hood lining redone by a trimmer. Cost $260. I guess a C panel would be less.

John Handley

I don't know if this would work as a repair 'in-situ', but 3M make a spray contact adhesive specifically for fabrics. It sprays the adhesive out in a spider-web type of pattern. I have made a new headlining for a car using it, and it was perfect. Sorry, but I can't recall the exact name. It was one of those 3M numbered products.

Regards,
    John

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

a lot of headlinings have a foam backing which disintegrates over time, leaving a powdery mess. Whilst you can squirt glue in there via a syringe the powder tends to mess things up and the repair fails.

Depends on how fussy you are, in the ute I've just fixed the headlining back with some dressmakers pins obliquely into the cardboard sound deadener. Works quite well, so who studies the ceiling when they're motoring along ?

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

a lot of headlinings have a foam backing which disintegrates over time, leaving a powdery mess. Whilst you can squirt glue in there via a syringe the powder tends to mess things up and the repair fails.

Depends on how fussy you are, in the ute I've just fixed the headlining back with some dressmakers pins obliquely into the cardboard sound deadener. Works quite well, so who studies the ceiling when they're motoring along ?

cheers,
    Bob
    Hello Bob,

It's not the headling and doesn't have sponge-foam under it.
    The cloth is directly onto very dense styrofoam-like material.
    To complicate it further, there is an airbag under the top edge of the panel so it can't be anything too good otherwise the airbag might not deploy properly. Not that I'm planning to be T-boned anytime soon.
    The airbag could be why it is only loosely applied at the factory.
    If all else fails, one could strip-off the cloth and paint it a nice light-grey. with water-based paints of course.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information