17TS Vinyl Sunroof advice
  • Register
  • Help

Default 17TS Vinyl Sunroof advice

Hi Guys,
    My 17TS has a leaking Vinyl foldback sunroof. I would like to get it repaired or replaced.
    The frame is pretty ratty too and it flies off if you open it on a freeway. So I suspect replacement is the option.
    Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere I can take it in Melbourne for a quote?

Advertisement
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Tadpole

i assume this is decouvrable roof?
    if so, lots of luck-perhaps try katrina or other o'seas sites for parts
    i am in process of removing my roof (when i get the time) to get replacement cogs as one has had a nervous breakdown.
    do you have grp cover? i have been trying to find same for a while-my best option, i suspect, is if i can find one to use as a pattern-any thoughts?
    regards
    john bettes

I think this 17TS is a lemon yellow one that was at the Vic FCD a few weeks ago with a sliding Webasto or Weathershields fabric sunroof. Here are some addresses ripped from the Webasto dealer locator site of sunroof places in Melbourne.

I suspect that if it is a timber frame version, and the timber is rotted, that prices will be exxy. Then again if it is a steel/alloy frame Weathershields sunroof parts may be difficult to come by too. The PO of my 12 got the rusted steel front and rear header rails reproduced in stainless steel some 12 years ago now by a steel fabricator in Sydney, as even then parts were difficult to come by.

http://www.webasto.com.au/am/en/am_auto_sunroofs.html

ULTRA COOL SUNROOFS 1 Mayston Street
    HAWTHORN VIC 3123 AU 61(3) 9882 9423

CUSTOM SUNROOFS 110 Mitchell Street
    MAIDSTONE VIC 3012 AU 61(3) 9318 4978

PRESTIGE SUNROOFS 11 Harker Street
    BURWOOD VIC 3125 AU 61(3) 9808 8966 13.3 Km

THE SUNROOF CENTRE 4/401 Princes Highway
    NOBLE PARK VIC 3174 AU 61(3) 9548 3366 25.7 Km

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the advice. Yes my car is the yellow one that had its first French Card Day adventure a few weeks back. It is the local aftermarket Webasto type sunroof with metal frame.
    It's pretty crappy in that if you open it the whole lot flies off. It also leaks so is need in need of some winter repair.

Thanks again for your help.
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME
    Hi Guys,
    It's pretty crappy in that if you open it the whole lot flies off. It also leaks so is need in need of some winter repair.

Thanks again for your help.
    Firstly, open the roof only when the car is stopped. Open the roof fully first to fold the material properly, then slide to the desired position. Hopefully the vinyl should then stay attached to the frame.

Secondly, the roof is designed in the UK so they are all the same, they all leak to a certain extent even with good unsplit vinyl. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Firstly, open the roof only when the car is stopped. Open the roof fully first to fold the material properly, then slide to the desired position. Hopefully the vinyl should then stay attached to the frame.

Secondly, the roof is designed in the UK so they are all the same, they all leak to a certain extent even with good unsplit vinyl. :-)
    You'd think with THEIR climate.......

JohnW

Have you seen there is a new/old stock electric motor for the R17 sunroof on ebay at the moment? US$10
    A Gordini is still a GORDINI!!!

Geesh they don't come much rarer then that.
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Thread Information