R10 Generator Light on Dash (the little green one) / HELP!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By brettr

Thread: R10 Generator Light on Dash (the little green one) / HELP!

Fellow Frogger! Gordini Pervert's Avatar

Icon5 R10 Generator Light on Dash (the little green one) / HELP!

Hi all,

been ages since posting here... OK got the 10 back on the road, drives well... its just that everytime I brake or indicate the generator light comes on? So Im guessing two things...

Advertisement

• get a multimeter and test out wether the alternator is charging back to battery whilst engine is running - therefore get a new alternator
    • give it a bit of a run and see if it will persist - in that it might need a top of charge and then light will come off?
    • battery is new and holds charge so thats out of the equation

Thoughts / help!

Thanks!

Fellow Frogger!

Is the car out of warranty?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    FIVEDOOR and bowie like this.
    BR

Building a race car is easy - building a race car that can be road registered is hard.

For any custom fabrication call Precision One Off Engineering - Sydney 02 4587 8666

since 69 haha

So, just to clarify do you have the original generator or an alternator fitted?
    The green light on a dynamo car is meant to light up while the engine is turning fast enough to charge the battery. That doesn't normally occur when you're braking.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    So, just to clarify do you have the original generator or an alternator fitted?
    Sorry alternator

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The green light on a dynamo car is meant to light up while the engine is turning fast enough to charge the battery. That doesn't normally occur when you're braking.
    yeh its weird eh? I reckon its the alternator

The indicator light with an alternator usually indicates the alternator output is less that the battery voltage, i.e. something wrong with the batter and/or charging circuit. With the ignition on and the engine off the light should be on and it should extinguish pretty soon after the motor starts. If the light get brighter when you rev the engine if could be a dodgy battery, if the light dims when you rev it could be the alternator/charging circuit. I'm not familiar with the R10 but would guess they're the same.

Presumably the car is moving when this happens, i.e. faster than idle speed.
    The brake lights and the indicators only draw about 45 watts each which should not be a problem for any good alternator even at idle speed. Indicators and brakes on at the same time would be about 90 watts and that should still be within the alternators capacity at idle.

If the alternator has an external regulator try that first.
    They can be a bit dodgy, especially the mechanical types, and they're easy (and cheap) to swap.

A long shot would be a slipping belt but you'd hear that and you'd also have overheating problems.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

If the alternator is internally regulated, the fault you describe is a classic symptom of of a field diode problem.

Edit: Is the indicator lamp of the same circuit as the brake lights? If so check the fuse contacts.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Thanks so much for the help guys! Much appreciated!

Thread Information