R8 Gordini history
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: R8 Gordini history

Default R8 Gordini history

Hi,
    looking at buying a R8 Gordini with the following diamond and oval plate numbers.
    Diamond plate 0207702
    oval plate R1135. The number under the 1135 could be 658(or S) 4
    Can any one help with any history or other background on this car. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

The only known history is that of the current owner and vague details of the previous owner, also from the Wollongong area.
    The car to me looks like it has had some reinforcing done to the inner front wheel arches reminiscent of that done by Bruce Collier to the works cars (his own, and possibly a few customer cars but not many). It could be a mysterious ex works car, or someone could've simply copied Bruce's mod - also documented in an Official Technical Bulletin.

I've seen the car, and believe it to be a genuine car by all accounts, although it is not the original shade of yellow.

I assume for the sort of money you are likely to be paying, you'll eyeball the car beforehand?
    KB

Another 6th batch car. Whatever happened to the 5th batch cars, there seem to be so few survivors?

Also, there is more chance of it being R1135/6584, as letters were not used for the sequential oval plate number.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for your replies. Is there a register to check the diamond plate and oval plate is a match?
    Also what year of manufacture would this be.
    Last edited by justpugs; 19th June 2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: More information required

The register maintained by Rob Lee in Adelaide simply lists the diamond plate number; the numberplate it had when purchased in 1980 (which is believed to be a second half of 1970 NSW issue) and lists the owner as being "Mr Anon" - the owner wishing to be anonymous at the time. I know because I supplied that info to him for the register.

I've got a pic of the oval plate, and agree it is 6584.

The trail is a bit cold prior to that.
    KB

I think Simon had a good R8G history thread previously but I believe there were sixty R1135's built in three batches of 20. The first two batches were a different blue colour each; and the third Daffodil yellow. This car is from that last batch of 20.

Simon or Rob may be able to give more details on where in the 20 this car was built perhaps.
    Simon, it has 6 above 3 stamped into the boot floor below the brake reservoir "area"

What else did you need to know?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think Simon had a good R8G history thread previously but I believe there were sixty R1135's built in three batches of 20. The first two batches were a different blue colour each; and the third Daffodil yellow. This car is from that last batch of 20.

Simon or Rob may be able to give more details on where in the 20 this car was built perhaps.
    Simon, it has 6 above 3 stamped into the boot floor below the brake reservoir "area"

What else did you need to know?
    It is more six batches of 10 Australian R1135s (All of which were Australian assembled). The first two batches were Cannes Blue, second two batches were Moyen Blue, and the third two batches were Daffodil Yellow. The sixth batch is late 1969 assembly, delivered into 1970. 6 over 3 indicates it is the third car in the sixth batch.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

I guess it's probable that the bulk if not almost all of the 5th batch cars were the works cars and hence the high attrition rate.
    Maybe David Cav could post the numbers on his shell to confirm that theory. Timing wise, it makes sense I guess.
    KB

1000+ Posts

You guys are good.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Here's a photo of mine when it use to play rough.

Diamond 0207707 and oval is R1135 6589

I was told it was the last car built here

It was Mal Macphersons Victorian state car, won the 1971 Vic championship

I'm also told it's the only known surviving works car but the others must be out there somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Gordini history-my-8g.jpg  
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

David,
    The numbers I meant for you to post are those stamped into the floor pan of the boot (the sloped part up near the scuttle panel, roughly in front of the brake fluid reservoir). As Simon mentioned (tempting to say Simon says..) this indicates the batch number on the top row, and the actual car build number (1-10) on the second row. If yours is truly the last car built (and still the same shell) it should have 6 over 10. 6=batch #6 and car #10 of that batch.

For some reason, I thought yours was the ARC winning car of Bob Watson?

It seems most of the works and state cars seem to be known more by their original rego numbers, than their chassis numbers. And I guess back then they weren't as fussy with car records perhaps.
    KB

David,
    The numbers I meant for you to post are those stamped into the floor pan of the boot (the sloped part up near the scuttle panel, roughly in front of the brake fluid reservoir). As Simon mentioned (tempting to say Simon says..) this indicates the batch number on the top row, and the actual car build number (1-10) on the second row. If yours is truly the last car built (and still the same shell) it should have 6 over 10. 6=batch #6 and car #10 of that batch.

For some reason, I thought yours was the ARC winning car of Bob Watson?

It seems most of the works and state cars seem to be known more by their original rego numbers, than their chassis numbers. And I guess back then they weren't as fussy with car records perhaps.
    Ok, still learning all this stuff. body stamp is 610

Rego numbers are hard to trace, mine was AZU002 NSW but reregistered in Vic and then again when sold to private hands
    Paul T likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Well as usual the Aussie frogs brains trust has excelled with information on my post. Thank you all for your input and as Stuey posted
    you guys are good.

The ARC winning car of Bob Watson (AZE-550) became Roger Bonhomme's 1971 car (BIN-194) after the front number plate was lost in a rally late in 1970. The car was crashed heavily by Bonhomme late in the 1971 KLG Rally of the Hills, and was shipped back to Renault Australia. Bruce Collier has a photo of the car on a trailer under a tarp on its way back to Melbourne. Les Murphy in Albury bought the car from the local Albury Renault dealer, and used it in speedway for a while. Very little remains of the original car, but the engine and sumpguard are among the things that I have sighted. Les says that he has the ID plates somewhere, but he hasn't provided the details as yet. This is probably the most vital piece of information to help link the ID numbers to the missing ex-works cars.
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

The family have decided to offer the car and a full set of spare doors and panels (off R1132) to sell by private silent auction. Interested parties are invited to contact the owner's son Carl Matchett on 0422596791 or [email protected] for details on how to participate.

I have been able to confirm the car seems to be a genuine R1135; chassis number above that is from the last (6th) batch of 10 and it looks like a three stamped below the 6 on the floor pan. It has had some rally history and mods, but as the original rego number and previous owners history is sketchy or unknown, no further ID on the car appears likely at this stage.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by alpinesau View Post
    The ARC winning car of Bob Watson (AZE-550) became Roger Bonhomme's 1971 car (BIN-194) after the front number plate was lost in a rally late in 1970. The car was crashed heavily by Bonhomme late in the 1971 KLG Rally of the Hills, and was shipped back to Renault Australia. Bruce Collier has a photo of the car on a trailer under a tarp on its way back to Melbourne. Les Murphy in Albury bought the car from the local Albury Renault dealer, and used it in speedway for a while. Very little remains of the original car, but the engine and sumpguard are among the things that I have sighted. Les says that he has the ID plates somewhere, but he hasn't provided the details as yet. This is probably the most vital piece of information to help link the ID numbers to the missing ex-works cars.
    This is the car that was burnt out in a shed fire correct?? I'm going up there on Saturday to meet Les so we'll see whats left.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

He also had a blue car that was written off when hit by a stolen car. It used to be stored in the laneway next to his workshop. I have all of the details about the blue car. I'm not sure which car was burnt in the shed fire. Please try to get as much info from Les as you can (about the yellow car). The ID numbers would be really interesting to know. Thanks.
    www.r8gordiniregister.com
    1971 Alpine A110 1600S
    1970 R8 Gordini R1135
    2005 Megane 225 Cup
    2014 Megane RS275 Trophy R
    2015 Koleos Expression

Quote Originally Posted by alpinesau View Post
    He also had a blue car that was written off when hit by a stolen car. It used to be stored in the laneway next to his workshop. I have all of the details about the blue car. I'm not sure which car was burnt in the shed fire. Please try to get as much info from Les as you can (about the yellow car). The ID numbers would be really interesting to know. Thanks.
    Here's all that's left Rob. This is the blue car after it was smashed and burnt in the shed fire. The ARC car was totalled in a speedway crash in 1980 where it went end over end 7 times, it's gone to god now. The engine and box are still there plus assorted bits like sump gaurds. No ID numbers survived.

Interesting he speeedway raced it with an R12 motor and 4sp box because they wouldn't believe him the G motor was original and wanted to put him in the super modified so he pulled the motor out. It's fitted with the Alpine kit and is put away safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Gordini history-burnt-8g.jpg   R8 Gordini history-burnt-8g.jpg   R8 Gordini history-burnt-8g.jpg   R8 Gordini history-burnt-8g.jpg   R8 Gordini history-burnt-8g.jpg  
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Default Wollongong result?

Hi,

Did anyone on here end up buying this car in Wollongong (6584) as the silent auction/facebook bidding system closed on Saturday?
    I submitted what I thought was a not too insignificant bid but was turned down.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ipb205 View Post
    I submitted what I thought was a not too insignificant bid but was turned down.
    What is a “not insignificant bid”? As with all tenders, it may not necessarily be the highest price that was accepted.

I wouldn’t worry too much. There are a reasonable number of others, except one, that are currently running around, that with the usual due-diligence would likely make a better buy than something that potentially needs a bumper to bumper resto. Perhaps try making a “not insignificant bid” for one of those. :-)
    Last edited by Simon; 19th July 2017 at 02:36 PM.
    JohnW likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Here's all that's left Rob. This is the blue car after it was smashed and burnt in the shed fire.
    Just noticed David’s pics of R1135/5371. That fireball would’ve been a speccy sight, I’m amazed the ID plates didn’t melt! That would have to be one of the few remaining Diamond plates where the retaining tabs are untouched from new, even the paint label is still stuck! :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What is a “not insignificant bid”? As with all tenders, it may not necessarily be the highest price that was accepted.

I wouldn’t worry too much. There are a reasonable number of others, except one, that are currently running around, that with the usual due-diligence would likely make a better buy than something that potentially needs a bumper to bumper resto. Perhaps try making a “not insignificant bid” for one of those. :-)
    My understanding is that their intention with the silent auction would be that the highest bid would indeed be the winner, but I share your sentiment in the last paragraph.

I haven't yet heard the result myself so can't comment further.
    KB

My understanding is that their intention with the silent auction would be that the highest bid would indeed be the winner, but I share your sentiment in the last paragraph.
    That's what I would think as well, however there can always be variations, especially if bids come with conditions attached :-)

It's always going to be the way though, someone's "not insignificant bid" may be someone else's starting bid. I'm just hoping the car gets on the road and is enjoyed tout suite!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

I haven't yet heard the result myself so can't comment further.
    Yes I went to see the car and must say it looked very sad but appeared is a genuine R8G with mods (similar to what Colliers did to the works cars).

It did have part of the floor replaced, unfortunately ID stamping is gone. I was told it was stored for many years near a seaside suburb, and it appears that way from the amount of corrosion seen, so as Simon says it would be a ground up resto.

I also put in a bid and have not heard back yet. I suppose the owner is waiting until the 'money is in the bank' to ensure the deal was followed through (I hear a lot of people 'bid to see' not buy, but I am sure this will not be the case here). The Owners son was a really nice guy and once the deal is done, I am sure there will be an announcement (at least privately) and all the unsuccessful bidders will finally know the outcome.

R8 Gordini history-img_5244.jpgR8 Gordini history-img_5242.jpg

Looks like they kept it moving...that's not the same location where I saw it; nor where it spent it's life since 1980 (off the road since '84). Maybe they didn't want it stolen for a second time once they found out potentially how much it is worth.

I'm due to see the son on Saturday, so the outcome may come up provided he and the new owner are happy to disclose.
    KB

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information