R16ts door lock problem
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tresbon

Thread: R16ts door lock problem

Icon8 R16ts door lock problem

My external RHF door lock stopped locking recently so I decided to fix it. Shouldn't be too hard - ha, ha.
    I have already spent about 2 hours without success.
    I took the lock barrel out easily enough, which revealed a nylon bit which connected the barrel to the actual lock.
    Ah, I see the problem - a tiny split pin which connected the 2 parts had rusted away. Not having a suitable split pin on hand I used a piece of wire. There are 2 possible ways to connect the 2 bits so trial and error is the go.
    Peering through the hole for the barrel I could just see a small socket which is obviously the seat for the end of the nylon bit. This bit has a side projection with a small right angle piece at the end which must slot into part of the lock which locks/unlocks. The internal locking knob works as normal.
    I have tried every possible way to get the nylon end into this socket. Space is very tight and it is not obvious what the operating bit of the nylon part should fit into. So far I have been trying to fit the barrel and nylon bit in as an assembly as I don't fancy trying to fit the tiny split pin/wire in later given the access problems.
    I think I am about to take the lock out to attempt to work out where everything should go. I have been resisting that as I have bad memories of refitting a lock previously.
    I have every manual on the R16 but none are of use.
    HELP! Don

Advertisement

Photo's in & out of the door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R16ts door lock problem-frhs-door-lock-1.jpg   R16ts door lock problem-frhs-door-lock-2.jpg  
    1968 Renault 16
    1969 Renault 16TS
    1974 Renault 16TX
    2001 Renault RX4
    2013 Renault Megane

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Photo's in & out of the door.
    Great photos, thanks so much. Yesterday I finally remembered that I had some doorlocks in the shed. I found one like mine and was able to see how the nylon bit fitted. But even though I am fairly sure that it was fitting into the socket I could not get it lock/unlock. I will try again today. It may be that some other part of the actual lock is not where it should be.
    I also found a set of locks for a central locking system but not the central box which makes it all work, or the wiring. (one day)

thanks again , Don

Don, possibly another thing to consider is I think there are 3 different types as well. I can't remember your 16 year but as far as I know there were the early ones 68-70 which look quite different to ones after this, mid period ones and later ones. They are all interchangeable on the door shells themselves but I'm not sure the individual components are interchangeable with each other. In the above photo's obviously one end of the white arm lever does into a socket but the other branch is fairly free moving and looks like it interacts with the white plastic cam there which comes off the door snib from the inside. Perhaps that cam needs to be engaged in a certain position when setting it?
    1968 Renault 16
    1969 Renault 16TS
    1974 Renault 16TX
    2001 Renault RX4
    2013 Renault Megane

Success! After more fiddling and trying with the key turned this way and that it slotted into position and now performs as it should.
    My car is a late model and my spare lock was of the same vintage.
    I notice that you have a TX. Does it have central locking? One of these days I will get around to fitting my system but I'm not sure if I have all the bits. I think there should be a central control unit, but I have not found one yet.
    I may fit my 5 speed trans also. Does it make much difference on the open road?

cheers, Don
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon View Post
    Success! After more fiddling and trying with the key turned this way and that it slotted into position and now performs as it should.
    My car is a late model and my spare lock was of the same vintage.
    I notice that you have a TX. Does it have central locking? One of these days I will get around to fitting my system but I'm not sure if I have all the bits. I think there should be a central control unit, but I have not found one yet.
    I may fit my 5 speed trans also. Does it make much difference on the open road?

cheers, Don
    Good to hear it's fixed.
    Yes my TX has central locking - standard on all TX's. The central control unit is located in the glove box. I have a good schematic of the whole system if you require.
    A 5 speed if you have one is well worth putting in. You'll need to modify the front gearbox housing though by taking out the existing rubber block & housing and replacing it with the same system as used on a 16 Automatic.
    1968 Renault 16
    1969 Renault 16TS
    1974 Renault 16TX
    2001 Renault RX4
    2013 Renault Megane

Thread Information