Plagiarism in Motor Vehicle advertising.
  • Help
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Plagiarism in Motor Vehicle advertising.

Default Plagiarism in Motor Vehicle advertising.

It's been a while since KIA appeared to nick the model name "GT-Line" from Renault, but I'm so pleased to know that Mazda have now emblazoned the famous words from the Renault ads from the sixties and seventies "Ready for Anything" on their website for the MX3 under "Design". How cute!

Advertisement
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Japanese "borrowing" ideas from the Europeans, may not be a new concept.
    But with car companies seemingly changing their slogans every couple of years it's not a surprise to have some slogans 'recycled'.
    If it's copyright that only lasts for what 30 years?
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

What about copy cat in car shapes?

Mazda3 Toyota Corolla Clio Kia Hyundai Etc etc etc Golf Astra etc etc

They all look the same

John Handley

I willing to wager a few bob that noone in Mazda'a marketing ranks has any recollection of car slogans from the 60s.

Some of the early car slogans are best left in the past.
    I recall some of the 50's or 60's cars described as gay.
    Not a term one would want to use to describe a car these days.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Some of the early car slogans are best left in the past.
    I recall some of the 50's or 60's cars described as gay.
    Not a term one would want to use to describe a car these days.
    Lord of the Gay, x2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_(automobile)

1950s Gaylord Concept Cars | HowStuffWorks

Better built, better backed?

I can think of 2-3 car makers that have used that one. Probably the same marketing exec just moving from one maker to the next!
    KB

The 'gay car was the Hillman Minx:

After the war the Minx was reintroduced with the same 1185 cc engine. It went through a series of models given Phase numbers and the Phase VIII of 1955 saw the arrival of an overhead-valve engine 1390cc, the Mk 8. The later 1956 Two Tone version of this model, the Mark 8A, was called the "Gay Look" and led to the advertising slogan "As Gay as a Mardi Gras".

"Gay as a Mardi Gras" now that's a slogan you're unlikely to see used by mainstream automobile manufacturers again.
    (Or maybe in Sydney around March perhaps).

Cheers
    Ren

It just shows how the English language has been abused by people who can't read and write it or who knew what a dictionary was over the last sixty years.............
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    It just shows how the English language has been abused by people who can't read and write it or who knew what a dictionary was over the last sixty years.............
    Conversely, perhaps it's simply the natural evolution of the English language ?

Nothing remains the same forever.

Even "aunty" is questioning the need for outdated, made up rules.
    The 'rules' of grammar are made up, so why bother following them? - RN - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Reminds me of the tale of the Japanese engineer visiting Australia for the launch of the Nissan Cedric.
    Informed that the Cedric name conjured up images of a gay man, he replied "well at least we'll have a market for it then" or words to that effect.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Throw them in jail I say!!

Jo

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Conversely, perhaps it's simply the natural evolution of the English language ?

Nothing remains the same forever.

Even "aunty" is questioning the need for outdated, made up rules.
    The 'rules' of grammar are made up, so why bother following them? - RN - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    G'day,
    every rule is made up, isn't it ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    every rule is made up, isn't it ?
    I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with Kim.

Accordingly I see the framework of English grammar as conventions rather than rules.

And when two people in conversation, or indeed written language observes the conventions the understanding and exchange of information is greatly facilitated.

Exactly! Hence, the beauty, and wonder of the mother tongue.

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

It's a great shame that the conventions now seem to be ignored by many.

1000+ Posts

I had a 50's Minx when I was a kid in the 70's. Painted red white and blue, with the legend Bush Basher written across the doors on both sides. Maybe it should have said Gay Basher!

After the war the Minx was reintroduced with the same 1185 cc engine. It went through a series of models given Phase numbers and the Phase VIII of 1955 saw the arrival of an overhead-valve engine 1390cc, the Mk 8. The later 1956 Two Tone version of this model, the Mark 8A, was called the "Gay Look" and led to the advertising slogan "As Gay as a Mardi Gras".

"Gay as a Mardi Gras" now that's a slogan you're unlikely to see used by mainstream automobile manufacturers again.
    (Or maybe in Sydney around March perhaps).

Cheers
    Ren

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

John Handley

was called the "Gay Look" and led to the advertising slogan "As Gay as a Mardi Gras".

Ren
    Hi Ren,
    do you think that is really true? I know the Mardi Gras over here is a bit 'gay', but I reckon any Mardi Gras in the fifties would have been a bit of a sombre religious thing.

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Handley View Post
    Hi Ren,
    do you think that is really true? I know the Mardi Gras over here is a bit 'gay', but I reckon any Mardi Gras in the fifties would have been a bit of a sombre religious thing.

Thanks
    John
    From Wikepedia:

Mardi Gras (/ˈmɑːrdiɡrɑː/), also called Shrove Tuesday, or Fat Tuesday, in English, refers to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany (Three Kings Day) and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday", reflecting the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season.

How the LBGT community got involved I have no idea!

Fellow Frogger!

Can plagiarism include car model names?
    I always thought Valiant pinching the 'safari' name from Citroen for their Valiant wagons in the mid sixties was cheeky and then later Holden pinched 'berlina' from Alfa for one of their sedans.

If you knew anything about french car history seeing a holden appear in 1979? with a badge on it saying 'radial tuned suspension' was amusing. (A few decades behind the French) A year or two later there was a leap forward for the Falcon when it received the "Alloy Head" badge-many decades after french cars had them. C'est la vie!
    rob
    Last edited by robere; 15th June 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Handley View Post
    Hi Ren,

Thanks
    John
    Yes, a Mardi Gras in the 50's was vastly different affair.
    Here in 'stralia, most people now associate the term Mardi Gras with the affair they have in Sydney in Autumn as that's the only Mardi Gras in the country. Elsewhere on the planet a Mardi Gras might just be a big party or a religious event. The other big Mardi Gras is in Brazil but it's not necessarily 'Gay' and there's probably a spike in the birth rate around 9 months after the event.
    But who'd have thought back in the 50's that the terms 'Gay' and 'Mardi Gras' would be synonymous with a homosexual parade down some Sydney streets. But back then it must have been a significant and happy even otherwise why mention it in a advertisement and why describe it as gay.

Thread Information