Renault 10 Resto
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Renault 10 Resto

Default Renault 10 Resto

G'day All, managed to source (with the help of Sunroof) some parts for my R10 resto - a 10S head (complete, appears to be in quite good order, being tickled up by a local engineering company), Weber 32 DIR plus intake and exhaust manifolds to suit.

Just wondering if the 10S camshaft would be a worthwhile addition to the engine mods - if so, can anyone tell me what the specs are and whether they can be done to the standard R10 camshaft.

Advertisement

For those who haven't seen prior posts on this vehicle, it's a standard R10 but it has 10S instruments - apparently that has something to do with Renault Oz using up bits on the shelf at the end of the 10 sales, and the 12 just around the corner.

BP

Sorry folks, forgot to ask if the 10S head will be the higher compression version - I'm assuming it will be. Naturally I am a little concerned about a top end overhaul with nothing done to the bottom end - I have heard of old motors not taking kindly to all that lovely compression and failing forthwith!

BP

You would probably be better off getting a mild grind like waggot cosworth A3 grind or less than trying for the 10S specs ( which you probably won't find anyhow).

I wouldn't worry too much about the bottom end. They are pretty bullet proof and free reving.
    KB

The 10S motor is identical to the Euro spec 8S motor, so 9.5:1 compression. Timing: BTDC/ABDC/BBDC/ATDC, R10 Normale: 10/46/46/10. Late 8S/10S, 22/62/60/20. My thoughts would be to go with Kevin's specs, they'll likely be on the grinders file.

As for the motor, the bottom end is fine, but the pistons, rings and liners are subject to normal Sierra wear 'n tear. Usually popping a ring at circa 100K miles (160K km) so if the motor is unknown, or looks worn, for peace of mind budget for a set of pistons and liners. That way it'll likely last at least another 20 years.

Oh, and whilst it is all in bits, get everything balanced, the motor will really sing.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

hey thanks for the replies, much appreciated - The Boss is not happy about me working on the 10 because it means the lovely Trak Yellow 16TS she bought me for a retirement present (before the 10 arrived) is still not on the road.....but the 10 is SO CUTE!!! And 50 years old next year - gonna have a party to celebrate.

for 8/10 devotees you may be aware that a certain Renaultphile (in Boonah S E Qld) held a R16 workshop day at his toyshed a little while ago and it was a roaring success - he is now planning a workshop day for 8/10s, date tba - should be a good one.

BP

Get him to do it the weekend of the French car day up there. I'm coming up in my R8 for the weekend.
    KB

Thread Information