Scenic door seal
  • Help

Default Scenic door seal

Guys,

Has anyone had the pleasure of fitting the uppers door seals on an JA Scenic (parts 1 & 2 in the attachment)?
    Manual Renault Scenic 65.011.0.pdf.
    This is the 'eyebrow' seal that goes above the doors and about half way down the A & C pillars.

Advertisement

I had a top-half respray on the wombat (finally after the aborted hail repair a couple of years ago) and the seals were removed for the paint. It was a on the cheap job so while the paint was applied professionally with proper preparation and in a proper booth, I was left with the task of refitting all the trim. I didn't remove the seal or think it was necessary but the painter did and am left the job of refitting.
    For those that don't know, the seal is a steel frame encased in rubber on both sides. The inside has a grooved 'C' section for the clips and the outside is a 'D' section rubber seal. I though it was a case of fitting the clips to the car, lining up the seal, and then giving it a light tap to force the clip into the channel. This worked for most of it but the front of the seal (A pillar end) is not holding in the clip and constantly popping out and catching on the doors when they're opened.
    After spending half a day and possibly destroying the seal, and unleashing copious foul language, I have come here seeking knowledge. So, is there a trick to getting the seal to hold, does one fit the clips to the seal first and then to the car or clips on the car and then force the seal onto the clips. The studs on the body that hold the clips (look like little nail heads) don't look like the clips can be pushed on so fitting the clips to the body first look like the method.
    (I'm seriously considering just getting some stainless steel screws and screwing the mongrels to the pillars. It will be a PITA to take off again but if I'm lucky I might be dead before that's necessary).

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

For those that have been lying awake at night wondering how it fit the aperture seal;
    Fit clips to seal, then seal to car.

Cheers
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thank God for that, I was beside myself with wonder..

Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Thread Information