Fuego battery relocation - cabling firewall
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Fuego battery relocation - cabling firewall

Fellow Frogger!

Default Fuego battery relocation - cabling firewall

Hi people,

Am after inspiration from people who have relocated their battery.
    Following this thread, have re-located battery in the tool compartment behind the rear seat.
    Cabling I am running inside the cabin up to the firewall (RHS).
    Now, I am looking for a good spot to penetrate the firewall and continue to the starter.
    For those souls who have done the job, where have they run the cable through to the engine bay?
    All the promising spots on the RHS firewall close to the steering wheel are too cramped to drill.
    Any advice?
    Prefer not to go outside until up the firewall.

David

Advertisement

Everyday use, then probably need an Engineers certificate for insurance purposes

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Everyday use, then probably need an Engineers certificate for insurance purposes
    Why ?

It's not a mechanical modification nor change to any item which is inspected during RWC checking.

Provided the battery is securely mounted and wiring is done in workmanlike manner IMO there should be no need for a engineering certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Hi people,

Am after inspiration from people who have relocated their battery.
    Following this thread, have re-located battery in the tool compartment behind the rear seat.
    Cabling I am running inside the cabin up to the firewall (RHS).
    Now, I am looking for a good spot to penetrate the firewall and continue to the starter.
    For those souls who have done the job, where have they run the cable through to the engine bay?
    All the promising spots on the RHS firewall close to the steering wheel are too cramped to drill.
    Any advice?
    Prefer not to go outside until up the firewall.

David
    Have a look and I'm sure you'll find some existing holes bunged up with rubber behind the glove box.
    Some type of hangover from the the conversion to right hand drive.
    My fuego wiring was heavily modified with all types of sensor wiring going through the firewall, and I don't remember drilling any holes but seem to remember drilling out a bung.

Jo

And if you need a seal and abrasion protection you could use a cable gland as a feed through. A cable gland will also positively hold the battery cable.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/13-18mm-di...-pk-2/p/HP0740

Administrator

It's been a while, but I think I ran my cable through the LH firewall as the battery cable comes around to the starter motor on the LH side.

I have a large circuit breaker mounted next to the battery incase there was ever a direct short due to an accident or similar.

I have a full river battery mounted in the compartment above the beam axle in the boot.

I never had any issues with it.

I only ever ran the positive lead to the front. I just earthed the neg cable well.

Never had any issues.

I think I had my positive cable mounted to a small rubber mount that was a junction. It also meant I could jump start the car from under the bonnet if required.

I'll have to have a look though to be sure...

Why the RHS?
    You'd be better to go the LHS where there are unused pressings in the firewall for the LHD versions.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

1000+ Posts

Why move the battery at all?

Fellow Frogger!

Default cabling re-location ideas

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    And if you need a seal and abrasion protection you could use a cable gland as a feed through. A cable gland will also positively hold the battery cable.
    Robmac - thanks have that. Am looking at also getting some grommets for internal cable protection.

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    It's been a while, but I think I ran my cable through the LH firewall as the battery cable comes around to the starter motor on the LH side.
    Mistareno/Jo/Ren Tin Tin - Thanks, will search there

I have a large circuit breaker mounted next to the battery in case there was ever a direct short due to an accident or similar.
    Good idea. What rating? Anyone done a current check to see what current is drawn whilst starting? 400 Amps??

I have a full river battery mounted in the compartment above the beam axle in the boot.
    Yes have same battery HC40 so am thinking exactly along the same lines.

I only ever ran the positive lead to the front. I just earthed the neg cable well.
    Thinking of doing the same.

I think I had my positive cable mounted to a small rubber mount that was a junction. It also meant I could jump start the car from under the bonnet if required.
    Smart thinking, again, will do the same. Was going to add an anderson plug so that charging could be done externally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Why move the battery at all?
    Sunroof, 2 things: a) the Fuego steers like a lead arrow around the track - moving some weight to the back will help b) am thinking of putting an oil cooler in that space.

Will keep you updated with progress/questions/ideas.

the Fuego steers like a lead arrow around the track - .
    That has often been said, but for some reason I never found that to be the case.
    Not running 205/50r15 tyres by any chance??

Jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

......the Fuego steers like a lead arrow around the track - moving some weight to the back will help......
    Interesting, best drive that I had in mine was during the big move to the sticks. Poor old Fug was loaded to the gunnels' sat like a brick on the road and went round bends like it was on rails, SWMBO was following in the Celicia and couldn't keep up...

Scenic steelies with 195/55, same rolling diam as originals.

cheers,
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    That has often been said, but for some reason I never found that to be the case.
    Not running 205/50r15 tyres by any chance?? Jo
    Jo

Calculated the OD and fitted 195/55/15.
    So, in my opinion, not overly overtyred.

By lead arrow, I mean one has to use the fast in/brake hard/fast out style of driving.
    Last edited by 85Fuego; 16th June 2017 at 12:06 AM.

Thread Information