Led headlights
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Led headlights

Default Led headlights

Guys,

Anyone know where one can get real High/Low Beam LED headlight bulbs.

As you know, your standard incandescent headlight bulb has a small hood over the low beam filament that directs light upwards only so that the beam reflects off the top of the bowl only giving the 'dipped' light pattern. The high beam filament is higher wattage and unhooded so reflects of the entire bowl giving the longer light throw.
    I have bought a couple of sets of LED bulbs purporting to be high/low beam but they all appear to be high/high beam, i.e. there is no difference between either beam. (No, it's not a wiring or incompatibility issue).

I guess I should have been alerted when the bulbs were described as 'fog light' as well as high/low. They do have the standard 3 pin lamp base with the same connections and do illuminate on both high and low positions so in theory do work, but not as required. (Shock, an Ebay seller misrepresenting a product, who would have thought such thing could happen).

Advertisement

Before you say, google is your friend or try Ebay, I have been down this path and while there are thousands of entries for LED headlight bulbs, none appear to actually work as high/low. Or none of the dozens that I looked at appear to do the job. None that I saw direct light upwards only on low beam, they're all cylindrical with varying numbers of SMD leds and have a 360 degree spread of light on both low and high. There might be a difference in the light levels between low and high beam, but not direction.

I like the idea of LED lights (no heat, lower power, and 'white' light) but I might have to live with incandescent bulbs for a while, driving around in permanent high beam is not desirable.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

One would have thought you could make these bulbs so that only the LEDs on the upper side of the cylinder light up on low beam and the ones on the lower side of the cylinder then illuminate as well on high beam - ie, you surely shouldn't need the little 'hood' when you have a whole series of directional LEDs to turn on and off.

Do any reputable parts retailers carry these bulbs yet such that you can test if that's actually how they are wired and return if not?

1000+ Posts

What fitting style are they?
    I periodically look for H7 style LED replacements that would be a direct replacement either equivalent or upgrade for the halogens.
    I've yet to find something that gets reviewed satisfactorily.
    One of the key issues seems to be that the output pattern of a halogen is pretty everywhere, but the LED is rather targeted. The lenses to make the LED work the same as a retrofit might be prohibitive for a cheap ebay led.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9, The Bend (International) 2:23.2
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

The 'hood' is on the incandescent bulbs and yes, I would think it would be relatively easy to have the LED's on one side of the 'bulb' light up for low beam and on all sides for high beam.

The lights are for my R12 which has a P45T base but I have adaptors to convert P43 bulbs to fit (see photographs below). So pretty much any of the common H4 equivalent bulbs will physically fit.
    Having a correct light pattern is another matter and the current problem.
    This is one of the bulbs I tried which proved to be useless.
    It lights up but no low beam just 2 high beams.

Led headlights-p45t-bulb-adapter4.jpgLed headlights-p45t-bulb-adapter3.jpgLed headlights-p45t-bulb-adapter2.jpgLed headlights-p45t-bulb-adapter1.jpgLed headlights-p45t-bulb-adapter5.jpg

There probably are LED bulbs that do work high and low beam but I'm not keen on having to buy more and more bulbs until I find one that does this.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Guys,

Anyone know where one can get real High/Low Beam LED headlight bulbs.

As you know, your standard incandescent headlight bulb has a small hood over the low beam filament that directs light upwards only so that the beam reflects off the top of the bowl only giving the 'dipped' light pattern. The high beam filament is higher wattage and unhooded so reflects of the entire bowl giving the longer light throw.
    I have bought a couple of sets of LED bulbs purporting to be high/low beam but they all appear to be high/high beam, i.e. there is no difference between either beam. (No, it's not a wiring or incompatibility issue).

I guess I should have been alerted when the bulbs were described as 'fog light' as well as high/low. They do have the standard 3 pin lamp base with the same connections and do illuminate on both high and low positions so in theory do work, but not as required. (Shock, an Ebay seller misrepresenting a product, who would have thought such thing could happen).

Before you say, google is your friend or try Ebay, I have been down this path and while there are thousands of entries for LED headlight bulbs, none appear to actually work as high/low. Or none of the dozens that I looked at appear to do the job. None that I saw direct light upwards only on low beam, they're all cylindrical with varying numbers of SMD leds and have a 360 degree spread of light on both low and high. There might be a difference in the light levels between low and high beam, but not direction.

I like the idea of LED lights (no heat, lower power, and 'white' light) but I might have to live with incandescent bulbs for a while, driving around in permanent high beam is not desirable.

Cheers
    Ren

Did you fit the LEDs and try them at night for light spread and distance , I was told by a Lightforce rep that LEDs would never be good long range lights as a LED is impossible to focus and project.

How did your Ebay ones perform?
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

1000+ Posts

LED flashlights are getting pretty good projection nowadays. I would have thought an LED with a large die, a good heatsink and one of those small reverse mounted reflectors in front of the die (reflecting back onto the main reflector purpose made for LED) would be mega bright and enable focusing.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Mercedes Benz changed all their lights to LED a year or so ago.
    Big marketing ploy to save power.
    Yeah wow 800W on a car that produced 450KW of power

1000+ Posts

The bigger benefit is that they should last the life of the car.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

I've looked into it a bit recently and I can't rind a reputable LED bulb replacement for a halogen bulb, so my only option was HIP globes or a full LED light replacement as I have the later twin round lights on my 12, but that was a $800 upgrade, and that is a very good set of HID or LED driving lights plus a lot of change.

My primary reasons for looking at LED's is, in order of priority; 1. brighter and whiter light output (allegedly) 2. Cool running 3. Less power consumption.

One can use higher wattage halogen bulbs but I believe the extra heat from these do eventually destroy the silver on the headlight bowl, (personal opinion). I'm using halogen bulbs of a high rating than recommended at the moment (I think they're 50/60 watt) but even these don't cast a particularly good light. Yes, the lights are aimed correctly, full power is getting to the bulbs, and the silver is good, but the glow is more yellow than white. I don't want to go any higher in the wattage.

Led headlights-img_0115.jpg

I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade the lights, I don't do a huge amount of night-time driving. Swapping out a couple of bulbs for the sake of $50 or so is okay. Spending hundreds for a couple of brighter lights is not justified.

Add-on driving lights (or kangaroo lights) are possible but they are illegal to use in a built up area (although you wouldn't know it by the number of dicks that drive around with spot/fog/driving light on all the time). I need better low beam light, not high beam. This time of year, I'm driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark, so the shortcomings of the existing lights are noticeable. During summer, I would rarely use the lights.

Cheers
    Ren

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    Did you fit the LEDs and try them at night for light spread and distance , I was told by a Lightforce rep that LEDs would never be good long range lights as a LED is impossible to focus and project.

How did your Ebay ones perform?
    The comment by the Lightforce rep surprises me.
    I would have thought the reflector and/or the headlight glass would do the work of focussing.
    A incandescent bulb is just a hot wire and emits light in all directions.
    An led should have an edge over the incandescent because they emit light from the front of the LED only.
    In fact the LED beam is likely to be too narrow and several LEDs are needed for a decent spread of light.
    Multiple LED's isn't too big a deal due to the size of the SMD LEDs

I found the Ebay LED bulbs were useless for headlights.
    Plenty of light but no low beam, just all high beam.
    A purpose designed LED light would probably work, but replacing and incandescent bulb with LED didn't fly in my application.
    For spot/fog/driving/ high beam only, lights they might work fine.

Cheers
    Ren

I,m sure there are led headlight globes that work well. A lot of high end vehicles, (Mercedes, Audi, etc.) are fitted with led lights, but whether these can be adapted for general use is doubtful. Also, they would most likely be very expensive. I think it's only a matter of time before they are fitted to "normal" cars.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

COL

If you want good headlights in a R12 forget the rectangular headlights and change to the four headlight arrangement that the Virage had.

The get some Hi/Lo lights like this for the outers

HEADLIGHT INSERTS H4 QH High / low. 5 3/4 inch.. Brand New . | eBay

and also some lights like this for the inners

Sealed Beam 5.3/4'' 146mm 100W Spot Light 12V Push terminals Convex Lens | eBay

If you have the version of the R12 that came with the "Kangaroo Lights" wire the outers to the headlight globe and the Kangaroo globe to the inners and you have full control over the lights.

If you want to go down the LED headlight route its a waste of time retrofitting LED globes to old fashioned headlight because they are not designed for that. You are better off buying a complete LED headlight that is designed to work properly and as said above that is expensive.

This just my humble opinions but feel free to experiment.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Hey Ren. I had a link come up in my Facebook posts this morning. They had H4 LED globes, I am madly trying to find it. I'll post the link here when I find it. They were an Australian Company and it was a commented post and people were asking for fitment applications and getting replies so sounds legit
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

https://bapoffroad.com.au/

Here you go buddy. It is an off road supplier but I am sure the road legal ones with an ADR compliance would suit.

Cheers
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    https://bapoffroad.com.au/
    It is an off road supplier but I am sure the road legal ones with an ADR compliance would suit.

Cheers
    Those ones look like they might even work! Though when they describe them as 180W etc, I assume they mean some sort of dodgy total light equivalence or something - presumably even a big LED should only pull small current...

Fellow Frogger!

I was under the impression that there were no retrofitable led headlights that met adr. You don't want your insurance company to walk away from you.

If you could find a round light that you'll fit inside the kangaroo lights footprint then you could get a plastic piece made to fit the hole that looks correct and then put the new light inside. I'd get it blow molded from polycarbonate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks for your replies guys.
    I think this might go to the 'too hard' basket for now.
    Yes, it's looking like retrofitting LED bulbs to a fittings made for incandescent bulbs is not a simple case of grabbing one of the many LED bulbs being flogged and fitting it to the headlight bowl.
    I notice that most of the H4 LED bulbs being advertised now as 'fog light', they're not calling them high/low any more.
    No doubt there we people like myself that though they were, well, high low beam bulbs. After a few or more refunds the sellers would revise their description.
    I'm sure there are LED bulbs out there that are truly high/low but from what I can see, most or all of these have a big heatsink hanging out the arse of the bulb which wouldn't fit the 12 because of the headlight bucket (like these);
    Led headlights-s-l300.jpg

I had the Virage quad lights fitted to my last 12 and from memory they had a pretty good beam for a 5 1/4" sealed beam.
    Sadly, I don't have any Virage headlights now and there aren't a whole lot of Virages being parted-out so getting a quad set-up (plus the required headlight surrounds) might take some patience.
    (Maybe they can be got from the US where they were standard or from Romania where they went into the later Dacias.
    Or even one of the ghastly set-up's they had in Spain and South America with the square/rectangular quad lights.
    No, on second thoughts, I'd rather have no lights than the Spanish style, they're just too ugly.)

Cheers
    Ren

1000+ Posts

Ren, have you thought of a good brand of blue halogen, like the Philips ones they have in most auto stores, to give you a whiter light?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Dear Ren

There is /was a Virage wagon being parted-out at Imlach's wreckers in Centre Rd Clayton/springvale in Melbourne. I put 'photos up last month. I was there on 23rd April.

1602 Centre Rd Springvale
    03) 9547 7377

When I saw it it still had the headlights and surrounds. It looked a nice complete car

I can't go and look this weekend as I'm going overseas, but a 'phone call may secure them ( although it is a 'pick a part' place, so you may be out of luck unless you know somebody who could get there for you.)

Worth a try, as it wouldn't cost much

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    I think this might go to the 'too hard' basket for now.
    Yes, it's looking like retrofitting LED bulbs to a fittings made for incandescent bulbs is not a simple case of grabbing one of the many LED bulbs being flogged and fitting it to the headlight bowl.
    I notice that most of the H4 LED bulbs being advertised now as 'fog light', they're not calling them high/low any more.
    No doubt there we people like myself that though they were, well, high low beam bulbs. After a few or more refunds the sellers would revise their description.
    I'm sure there are LED bulbs out there that are truly high/low but from what I can see, most or all of these have a big heatsink hanging out the arse of the bulb which wouldn't fit the 12 because of the headlight bucket (like these);
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	96678

I had the Virage quad lights fitted to my last 12 and from memory they had a pretty good beam for a 5 1/4" sealed beam.
    Sadly, I don't have any Virage headlights now and there aren't a whole lot of Virages being parted-out so getting a quad set-up (plus the required headlight surrounds) might take some patience.
    (Maybe they can be got from the US where they were standard or from Romania where they went into the later Dacias.
    Or even one of the ghastly set-up's they had in Spain and South America with the square/rectangular quad lights.
    No, on second thoughts, I'd rather have no lights than the Spanish style, they're just too ugly.)

Cheers
    Ren

Icon6

G'day,
    you might need something like this...
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...11-67700189--1

or

this with two separate leds...
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-11-7339010--1
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    you might need something like this...
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...11-67700189--1

or

this with two separate leds...
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...-11-7339010--1

Looking at the photos it appears that the LEDs face backwards towards the reflector to be focused and reflected out the front of the light . This may be to overcome the difficultly of focusing LEDs as reported by a Lightforce rep.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Ren, have you thought of a good brand of blue halogen, like the Philips ones they have in most auto stores, to give you a whiter light?
    Hello Stuey,

Yes, I'm now thinking that the blue halogen is the way to go.
    You can get a pair relatively cheaply if one shop's around.
    They don't appear to make them in the P45T base but I've got the adapters so that's no biggie.

LED's would be nice because of the much lower power consumption and low heat.
    Don't know why the LED's need a big heatsink hanging out the arse when a LED is supposed to be cold.
    Maybe the headlights these days have plastic bowls whereas in the good ol' days, you had a metal bowl that acted as a heatsink.
    If an incandescent or halogen can survive without a heatsink why can't an LED.

I'm confused. Earlier you said you don't drive that much at night time, and that you wanted something more efficient.

Just don't turn your lights on

And besides, this is way cooler Click

Do something like tha

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

1000+ Posts

Bright LEDs do run quite hot. The die on these is mounted on a metal circuit board which is in close thermal contact with the heat sink. Their output drops if they get too hot. I have a really bright LED torch that gets pretty warm when set on high. There's much less heat of course that an incandescent lamp, especially radiant heat.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information