Gearbox Splines R8/R16
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gearbox Splines R8/R16

Default Gearbox Splines R8/R16

Hi Guys.

Is there anybody out there that can put me straight?

The Gearbox in my R8 'Barn Find' has 21 splines on the clutch input shaft. My other R8 has 20 splines on the clutch input shaft.

So is this telling me that the gearbox fitted to the 'Barn Find' has probably been modified/upgraded with R16 gear ratios and stronger box ??

Thanks to anybody that knows the answer

Advertisement

Cheers
    Phil

Nope. It could also mean someone has just swapped the input shaft to accept a 16 clutch plate.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

OK, thanks Simon.
    Very wet up at Blackwood this morning but there was 5 Renaults there; Trophy, RS 265, 2 x Megane Sport and a Cleo Sport. Good collection of Labos, Mazzas and Ferrari as well.
    Thanks again
    Phil

Phil,

That shaft differs on the clutch plate end and is specific for a TS clutch plate and differs for a R8/R10 but the other end that goes into the box is the same as R8/R10.

The only way to tell if it is a Big Box without opening it, is if there is a spacer in on the side shaft output tubes.

Regards, Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thank you Frans.
    I just haven't got down to the G/Box yet so it is for a future discovery. Do you have to remove the drive shafts boots to see the spacers ?? Just started on the engine last week but to cold and wet at the moment to work outside!
    Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Phil,

That shaft differs on the clutch plate end and is specific for a TS clutch plate and differs for a R8/R10 but the other end that goes into the box is the same as R8/R10.

The only way to tell if it is a Big Box without opening it, is if there is a spacer in on the side shaft output tubes.

Regards, Frans

The spacer if present (if it has an R16 diff) will be bolted between the gearbox casing and bearing carrier/axle tube on the drivers side of the gearbox. It will be around 5-6mm deep. You could also look for my recent thread on putting my gearbox together.

The diff centre requires the gearbox and engine be bolted 5-6mm further towards the left hand side of the car by use of the spacer and other means, otherwise the drivers side would poke 5-6mm further out than the left.

You can't see the spacer in my pic below, but you can see the bearing carrier beside the rubber boot. Keeping looking towards the gearbox casing. I thought I had a photo of it, but doesn't appear so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gearbox Splines R8/R16-dscn2848.jpg  
    Last edited by renault8&10; 29th May 2017 at 10:43 PM.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The spacer if present (if it has an R16 diff) will be bolted between the gearbox casing and bearing carrier/axle tube on the drivers side of the gearbox. It will be around 5-6mm deep. You could also look for my recent thread on putting my gearbox together.

The diff centre requires the gearbox and engine be bolted 5-6mm further towards the left hand side of the car by use of the spacer and other means, otherwise the drivers side would poke 5-6mm further out than the left.

You can't see the spacer in my pic below, but you can see the bearing carrier beside the rubber boot. Keeping looking towards the gearbox casing. I thought I had a photo of it, but doesn't appear so.
    Sorry for tne correction,KB. The spacer will be 11 to 12 mm thick and if if the engine and gearbox location is not shifted, the drivers side will protrude 11 to 12 mm more than the left.
    cheers brian

Happy to be corrected Potenz.
    I didn't go back and review my post, nor look at the gearbox. Was just going off memory.
    KB

Thanks KB and Brian. I,ll look tomorrow.
    Phil

Happy to be corrected Potenz.
    I didn't go back and review my post, nor look at the gearbox. Was just going off memory.

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Thank you Frans.
    I just haven't got down to the G/Box yet so it is for a future discovery. Do you have to remove the drive shafts boots to see the spacers ?? Just started on the engine last week but to cold and wet at the moment to work outside!
    Cheers
    Phil
    Phil, see attached photo which shows the ring between gbox and shaft tube (bottom side)
    Angelo

Attachment 96649

Angelo,

That looks to be the earlier style bellhousing? Does it bolt up to your engine OK and the clutch work.
    KB

Angelo,

That looks to be the earlier style bellhousing? Does it bolt up to your engine OK and the clutch work.
    Sorry if the pic caused any confusion, the pic was just to highlight the offset ring.

The gbox is a 'R10 strong box' with R16 internals, with again bell-housing from a late R10 type to fit R5 Alpine engine, not R16TS as Phil is running.

Angelo,

KB, if you enlarge the pic it looks like the sleeve for the thrust is visible? So the clutch should work.

Angelo, we realise that but there were 2 styles. The old one with the carbon thrust fork and the new one with a roller thrust fork. Both fit on the Sierra block.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Thanks Angelo

I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Can't miss it really.

Thanks mate
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Phil, see attached photo which shows the ring between gbox and shaft tube (bottom side)
    Angelo

Attachment 96649

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    KB, if you enlarge the pic it looks like the sleeve for the thrust is visible? So the clutch should work.

Angelo, we realise that but there were 2 styles. The old one with the carbon thrust fork and the new one with a roller thrust fork. Both fit on the Sierra block.

Frans.
    Frans
    I have the roller type. See pic.
    Angelo

Attachment 96656

That's what Frans meant by the sleeve comment. That would determine that it used that type of thrust bearing.
    Anyhow, we wait for an update from Phil re the spacer ring.
    KB

Thread Information