• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Carworks or Ballarat Renault

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Carworks or Ballarat Renault - beware, see post 21

G'day,

been a long time since I posted in here, nothing much to say I guess....

SWMBO has had, for a very long time, a strong Toyota relationship. She has been mentioning for some time that we really ought to get a "sensible" vehicle, the Celica not really making the grade for age pensioners - with even older parents that require occasional transport. My suggestion of a newish Mustang was flatly rejected...

Anyway, motoring along the local car-yard-strip in Ballarat we propped outside the Renault dealer, a large yard with an impressive number and variety of vehicles. She only got to the second one inside the gate, having bypassed the gateway Merc, "what's this ?" she said, spying a pre-loved Latitude...

Carworks or Ballarat Renault-dealerpix02.jpgCarworks or Ballarat Renault-dealerpix05.jpgCarworks or Ballarat Renault-dealerpix06.jpg

This is where it gets serious, never ever been impressed with car yard dealings, sort of in the realms of dentistry, and the salesman is approaching.....

OK, no need for a novel, we ended up buying it..

We found the sales approach of the Carworks team to be professional and reassuring, very different to past experiences. Perhaps that is the way of the world now, I don't know, dentistry has come a long way also but I'd have no hesitation in recommending this outlet - and the Latitude, a really nice drive.

cheers,
    Bob

note: now with some reservations due to company attitude & their Clayton's warranty....

Advertisement
    Last edited by bob; 27th November 2018 at 04:07 PM.

Welcome back Bob.

Nice car. I bet I goes ok too.

Jo

Although they are little conservative in their styling (like the Camry), most owners think they're a cracker!

There's a lot of Laguna 3 under that metal too

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

There's a lot of Laguna 3 under that metal too
    And a lot of Nissan Altima as well.

Very good cars to get in and out of, with respect to clearance for feet getting out of the door space in the back! Sunroof may comment!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The mustang sounds way more exciting to me
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    The mustang sounds way more exciting to me
    A car with ** safety rating
    That's 2 (two) out of 5 (five) stars.
    That's last millennium standard.

I guess it's exciting if you're heading for a prang.

Put into perspective the Mustang is probably no worse and possibly one hell of a lot better than many of the vehicles that we are in progress of restoring.

I'd suggest that very few vehicles built before 1970 are any near as "safe" as the Mustang.

And that won't stop me driving my "unsafe" cars.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Put into perspective the Mustang is probably no worse and possibly one hell of a lot better than many of the vehicles that we are in progress of restoring.

I'd suggest that very few vehicles built before 1970 are any near as "safe" as the Mustang.

And that won't stop me driving my "unsafe" cars.
    I dont' buy that at all. I bet it's lost a lot of stars due to "seatbelt warning" lights, access to rear seat, rear passenger injuries etc.... re-badge it two seater and see how many stars it gets.

I don't believe any car made in the last 15 years would be "unsafe" like our old pre 90's cars.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Back on topic.

We bought our koleos from carworks in ballarat. They were very good. Didn't seem pushy at all, even brought the car to airport west for us to have a look without any obligation. All salesmen seem knowledgeable but the best thing to me was how they didn't push us. We also looked at Nissan, toyota we even walked into both a Kia and a Hyundai dealer. Apart from the fact we didn't like the product the salesmen were waaaaayy to pushy. Tried to sign us up on the day!
    To me an over pushy salesman will always make me walk away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    To me an over pushy salesman will always make me walk away.
    Or one who is just a Fwit.

Looked at a hyundai 7 seater at the yard and commented that the premium asking price or the KM on the dash didn't match the cracked plastics or dog hair infused carpets.

Got told that I didn't know the market and all 7 seaters were like this because they were family cars owned by families.
    That car is still for sale month later, and my like-new family owned koleos is still like new, two families later.

jo

bob
    1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Welcome back Bob.

Nice car. I bet I goes ok too.

Jo
    Thanks guys,

yep, we're pretty pleased with it, and yeah, it does move some....

Not as thirsty as the Fug & my v8 ute, and I dare say it would easily outrun both of 'em. Not a bad effort considering the weight it's pulling around and a miserly 3Ĺ litres. Even feels good in corners, certainly feels better around a local sweeper than the old Celica !

My FIL recently got himself a late model G6, he was impressed with the level of fit-out that came with the Renault compared to the Furd - particularly the headlight brightness and self levelling feature. The Latitude looks to me to be a pretty good deal, at $44k new I suppose there has to something nice.

Benefits of modern techno - bit wary of all these gizmos though, lectrikery and Renault haven't been good bedfellows in my past experience. But, we're enjoying it while it lasts...

cheers,
    Bob

I've got a few friends with them and starting to clock up the kms. All are very happy and no real problems. You will be happy with it.

Sent from my SM-J110F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by David Cavanagh; 29th May 2017 at 10:52 AM.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

been a long time since I posted in here, nothing much to say I guess....

SWMBO has had, for a very long time, a strong Toyota relationship. She has been mentioning for some time that we really ought to get a "sensible" vehicle, the Celica not really making the grade for age pensioners - with even older parents that require occasional transport. My suggestion of a newish Mustang was flatly rejected...

Anyway, motoring along the local car-yard-strip in Ballarat we propped outside the Renault dealer, a large yard with an impressive number and variety of vehicles. She only got to the second one inside the gate, having bypassed the gateway Merc, "what's this ?" she said, spying a pre-loved Latitude...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dealerpix02.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	96516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dealerpix05.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	96517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dealerpix06.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	96515

This is where it gets serious, never ever been impressed with car yard dealings, sort of in the realms of dentistry, and the salesman is approaching.....

OK, no need for a novel, we ended up buying it..

We found the sales approach of the Carworks team to be professional and reassuring, very different to past experiences. Perhaps that is the way of the world now, I don't know, dentistry has come a long way also but I'd have no hesitation in recommending this outlet - and the Latitude, a really nice drive.

cheers,
    Bob

I've got a friend who bought a Clio in Melbourne at the end of 2013 and moved to Ballarat at the end of 2014. They find the Ballarat dealer far better than the one they dealt with in Melbourne, and have been really impressed with their service on servicing and a couple of warranty claims. Ballarat Renault has won Renault dealer of the year, and from what I've heard they deserve it.

Tadpole

Glad you've had a good experience. I live in Ballarat and bought my vehicle in Geelong.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using aussiefrogs mobile app

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default the Latitude is ill....

G'day,

picked up by Renault roadside or whatever they are called, today. Good service, taken on a flattop for delivery to the dealer tomorrow morning.

It was a mongel to start a couple of days ago and when it finally did it might have been managing a whole four out of the six pots. No warning lights or whatever. We let it run for a few minutes, then gave it a rest for five minutes. Restarted as normal, then we got the spanner and the engine light and a dire pollution warning which refused to go away - even after it warmed up. 'Spose it would be a pollution problem, lots of unburnt fuel from the misfiring, but it didn't 'self heal'....

Dealer suggested an on site visit, which we did, and won a free tow - I was a bit wary of running the thing 40 minutes into Ballarat with warning lights etc anyway....

cheers,
    Bob

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

picked up by Renault roadside or whatever they are called, today. Good service, taken on a flattop for delivery to the dealer tomorrow morning.

It was a mongel to start a couple of days ago and when it finally did it might have been managing a whole four out of the six pots. No warning lights or whatever. We let it run for a few minutes, then gave it a rest for five minutes. Restarted as normal, then we got the spanner and the engine light and a dire pollution warning which refused to go away - even after it warmed up. 'Spose it would be a pollution problem, lots of unburnt fuel from the misfiring, but it didn't 'self heal'....

Dealer suggested an on site visit, which we did, and won a free tow - I was a bit wary of running the thing 40 minutes into Ballarat with warning lights etc anyway....

cheers,
    Bob
    Not sure what is wrong with the car but maybe something as simple as pencil coils.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Not sure what is wrong with the car but maybe something as simple as pencil coils.
    Yeah sounds like coils to me.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

How many k's has it done Bob? How much of the petrol engine is Renault and how much is Nissan? Not that it matters much I guess as mine is a diesel.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

coils ? the fault has gone away after it was left alone for five minutes, the error lamps were alight by this stage but it ran OK.

Interesting, the ute showed similar symptoms this morning as well [BA 5.4L v8] but it's error light went out for the restart. And the Bosch checker found nothing - to be expected I understand, useless.... The Ford has done this once before, a year or two ago, local mechanic found nothing.

Both instances are very bad misfires, un-drivable. I would have thought that crook coils would have stayed crook ?

Yeah, we went looking for the last petrol dockets, same station but the ute got 95 and the Renault got 98.

Can't remember how far the Latitude has traveled, but it's not that far, only 4-5 years old.

cheers,
    Bob

bob
    1000+ Posts

Default Latitude fault - update

G'day,

OK, so they found nothing and reset the 'puter....

Further, since they found no fault, it's MY fault and it's gonna cost me $75 it seems. Bloody thing was lit up like a Christmas tree with it's error lights, and it's down to me....

This Clayton's warranty is a deal breaker for us, it kills Renault and the dealer in this household. If this is the the general way with the marque these days I can't see them hanging about for very long.

I'll have a whinge when we pick up the car tomorrow and see if they really want the lousy $75. It's gonna cost them this customer and any others I can convince to go elsewhere....

Oh, what's left to blame for the fault ? the fuel they say - since the car is refueled almost exclusively at Woolies Lucas I guess I'll have to have a word with them as well and let them know that their outlet is being maligned by Renault....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

I'd have a whinge too Bob, for country motorists, you don't want a car that spits the dummy at fuel purchased at major outlets, should be some evidence to tie that claim down to the fuel, I wonder if the RACV or the local motoring press wants to take up the claim with both entities and see who is responsible. nice to have these things in writing to start the ball rolling mate.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I'd have a whinge too Bob, for country motorists, you don't want a car that spits the dummy at fuel purchased at major outlets, should be some evidence to tie that claim down to the fuel, I wonder if the RACV or the local motoring press wants to take up the claim with both entities and see who is responsible. nice to have these things in writing to start the ball rolling mate.

Ken
    Certainly would not be the first time Caltex(Woolies) has been mentioned on a number of car sites I follow,but of course I cannot say that with any certainty ,I just don't take the risk!! Up to you to balance the service and reputation of the dealer against ??? AND the fact that two of your cars filled at the same outlet had dramas!!!
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pclio View Post
    Certainly would not be the first time Caltex(Woolies) has been mentioned on a number of car sites I follow,but of course I cannot say that with any certainty ,I just don't take the risk!! Up to you to balance the service and reputation of the dealer against ??? AND the fact that two of your cars filled at the same outlet had dramas!!!
    Before they went dearer than poison, I used to use them exclusively as my local outlet, they seemed to me to resist the urgency to get into price rise rate and at least you got a full 4 cents on shopper dockets at the lowest day of the industry so called "discount cycle", and had no trouble at all with either the 98 Ron or the Diesel I was using.

That all ended when they seemed to abandon their regular customers and hiked prices and the noticeable thing is seeing other than marked Caltex tankers on their premises that appeared to be unloading fuel (same with some other outlets) maybe we are seeing another round of contaminated fuel that can be sourced free of excise and mixed, hate to see that nonsense again.

Ken

1000+ Posts

Jap (Nissan) engine isn't it bob?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information