V6 Laguna II Overheating
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ariddell

Thread: V6 Laguna II Overheating

Tadpole

Default V6 Laguna II Overheating

Hey all,

After saying goodbye to my Citroen XM the other week I had, in my usual way, a couple of glasses of wine too many and ended up being the proud owner of an 02 V6 Laguna II from an online auction I have no great purpose for, other than apparently I liked the sound of it at the time. It seems for the most part pretty neat and well cared for, 180,000km, full main dealer history with timing belt done at 120,000 etc etc. Needed a replacement key card reader but that was an easy $25 fix from the wreckers.

It is however overheating, but not in the way I would customarily expect, so wondering if any of you can shed any light before I start pulling things apart.

So basically at idle it starts fine, warms up to midway if left alone and stays there no dramas at all. Coolant is visible in the reservoir and can see a steady stream coming back through the return line. If you rev it though it very quickly starts to overheat, same if driven the gauge will climb pretty rapidly with the coolant getting to the point of boiling and bubbling pretty quickly. Fans kick in as they should and if you then leave the car idling for a while it drops back to normal. Speed of the dropback improves with the heater on full blast.

Now I'm thinking most likely it's head gasket, but before I make that determination since I don't have the kit to test the coolant for exhaust gasses, is there anything else this is likely to be on one of these?

Advertisement

From a read of past posts it sounds like water pumps failing and fast warmup thermostats failing closed can create some overheat conditions but I'm not sure if these match with what I'm seeing on mine.

Thoughts appreciated on what's likely getting it hot and bothered, much as I love the voice synthesis of the warning message I would also quite like to cure it.

Thanks

Is it loosing coolant if not I doubt head gasket and on that motor not common I would be checking if the top hose gets hot when overheating if so probably a radiator problem if not thermostat but are you sure it's getting hot because there lovelys love giving faulty temp readings and don't for get the bubble buster degassing thing they leak and fail all the time ( black/ white dome with two large and one small pipe coming off)

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

I'm with the blocked radiator, water pump, thermostat theory.
    Basically, a circulation issue, the coolant isn't moving around enough to cool the motor adequately.
    If it were a head gasket leaking to the water jacket you'd be loosing coolant, a lot of coolant.
    The coolant is visibly boiling so it's not going to be an incorrect gauge reading.
    I'm not sure if the V6 has a specific regime for bleeding the cooling system but it could be the system needs to be bled.
    Otherwise, as a first step try flushing the cooling system before you shell-out for water pumps and/or radiators.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Tadpole

Definitely getting hot and boiling the coolant but that's good info on bleeding or circulation issue. I did some further research last night and looks like there's a bleed point on one of the hoses by the firewall that I didn't realise was there.

With regards the thermostat, is it just the one stat located in the large metal housing on these but a special design? Have seen in past posts mention of a fast warmup thermostat failing closed and causing boiling issues, not sure if this is the main one or if there are multiple?

Water pump I would assume is a bit of a job on one of these, and may as well do the timing belt at the same time. Any special tools required?

Thanks

Go with the easy and inexpensive first and look at the thermostat. It may only be opening partially, or stuck in a just open position.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

I only as about temp sensors because 90% of people say boiling went it's just hot on gauge first part of diag is confirmation

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

We have a winner, exactly the same issue, thermostat was stuck on that seal inside the thermostat housing.

Took a lot of force to remove the stat from the housing, but it worked fine when heated up in a pan so obviously not enough strength in the spring to move it against the corroded seal.

I've just removed the seal altogether rather than hunting down a new one and temperature now sitting happily steady just under the half way mark.

Result.

Quote Originally Posted by ariddell View Post
    We have a winner, exactly the same issue, thermostat was stuck on that seal inside the thermostat housing.

Took a lot of force to remove the stat from the housing, but it worked fine when heated up in a pan so obviously not enough strength in the spring to move it against the corroded seal.

I've just removed the seal altogether rather than hunting down a new one and temperature now sitting happily steady just under the half way mark.

Result.
    Without the seal, I think you will find that the engine will run virtually stone cold on the highway, unless it's a hot day with the aircon running. As a result, it will use far too much fuel, cause damage to the catalytic converter and oxy sensor and long term, the engine.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Tadpole

It's now sitting just below half way on the gauge and holding solid, 13 ish degrees outside and on the highway having just given it a good run heading out for dinner.

Judging the distance when the stat is fully open the seal doesn't seem to be doing all that much, the coolant still mostly takes the easiest path through the main rad feed with only a small amount sneaking round now there's a gap & the venturi effect probably takes most of that back towards the header tank joining the flow straight through the middle of the stat.

Next issue, gearbox is not a healthy happy camper, let's see if some new fluid smooths it out to not require a neck brace.
    markb2501 likes this.

Thread Information