Scenic II windscreen advice please
  • Register
  • Help

Default Scenic II windscreen advice please

Well, a minor saga is evolving.

Last year we had a replacement windscreen in the Scenic, when a crack appeared across the screen. It seems to have been initiated by a minor stone chip near the edge of the screen. The new one was a Pilkington screen, fitted competently by the local O'Brien folk under Shannon warranty. All well and the rain sensor worked afterwards.

Advertisement

Blow me, two weeks ago it cracked again, with minor stone damage below a wiper blade, near the edge again, turning into crack. New screen again, courtesy of Shannons/O'Brien. They turned up and discovered that the new one was itself damaged, so found a second one, this time FJ, a Chinese screen they think. It is in and fine but the rain-sensor system won't work. They've tried everything, twice to no avail.

Currently I'm awaiting a call, the technician folk saying they'll just have to try another new screen of different make, at their expense of course. This would make three replacement screens for one crack!!

Has anyone out there some relevant experience? The rain sensitive system was working perfectly well with the Pilkington screen.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Well, it seems no-one is the wiser!

Next Tuesday it is getting (at O'Brien's cost) another screen of a different brand. Hell of a way of testing the problem, well, helluva expensive way for them!

I'll report the outcome.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

It could be anything really, perhaps even a dead/dirty sensor from being on/off the car a few times.

If the glass FJ or F (stylised) Y. If FY, Fuyao is an OEM supplier, and I doubt they would have a good and poor quality screen glass.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It could be anything really, perhaps even a dead/dirty sensor from being on/off the car a few times.

If the glass FJ or F (stylised) Y. If FY, Fuyao is an OEM supplier, and I doubt they would have a good and poor quality screen glass.
    I agree. I certainly haven't pressed for another new screen! We'll see what happens. They've replaced the clear silicone pad that optically links the sensor with the glass, to no avail. I will wander down to the Renault dealer for advice.

Thanks Simon.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

My wife's scenic had the screen replaced by obriens due to a stone chip (under insurance). Despite my wife giving them all the details they initially turned up with the wrong screen and had to come back. The second screen worked ok. She doesn't recall what the "wrong screen" was other than perhaps it didn't have the rain sensor bits. It worked fine with the second screen. I didn't take any notice of the brands and we no longer have the car.

It's not a matter of having to reset the settings on the stalk is it?
    KB

Thanks Kevin.

Re the stalk, I don't think so..... The instruction book does talk about switch movements and engine restarts, which I've done.

When the first screen was replaced last October, nothing was done with switches and the rain sensor just worked and that was that. This time, after they had failed to get it to work, including hooking up an analyser to look for any reset requirements, I went to our service bloke and he did some sort of reset to no avail. I'll check the dealer's advice today. Perhaps I should disconnect the battery and do what I'd call a hard reset. Where IS the radio code???

Quite what we do if the third new screen doesn't allow the sensor to work remains to be seen! All on the insurance and O'Briens so far.

If you google this problem, it's clear that BMW folk have the issue and some cases describe doing a reset.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

The radio code should be in the service book. When the car is first sold, they do a printout of all the details which includes the radio code off their computer system and attach that to the front cover. If you don't have that, then you need to take the VIN to the Renault dealer and they can look it up for you, so maybe do that anyway while you are there just in case.

The radio code is a four digit code, but I think is different based on trim level and the type of radio you have. Renaults of that era seem to have a choice of about six different radios from my experience. They all look and sound similar, but obviously must be different.
    KB

Scenic II windscreen advice please-p5210277.jpgScenic II windscreen advice please-p5230278.jpgScenic II windscreen advice please-p5210276.jpg

Well, problem solved by a new Pilkington screen. It seems lower equipment level "Authentique" Scenics didn't have rain-sensitive wipers, so maybe there are two screens available.

Anyway, the Pilkington screen and Renault screen, illustrated, both work. The other does not. Well, DID not as it has been replaced without charge by O'Brien.

The funny symbol is common to both windscreens that work with the rain sensor.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scenic II windscreen advice please-rain-sensor-symbol-perhaps.jpg  
    Last edited by JohnW; 23rd May 2017 at 03:55 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

I have learned that the rain sensor is extremely 'sensitive' to any inter laminate in the glass itself, or dirt or film on the windscreen. Recently I applied 'rain-x' water repellent to my windscreen - a perfectly clear coating of what seems to be an alcohol based liquid that promises "dramatically enhanced visibility", but which totally confused the rain sensor and made it virtually inoperable.
    The same goes for toll road transducers that only work on certain sections of a windscreen, usually the dotted area near the mirror.
    Last edited by Breitie; 23rd May 2017 at 05:24 PM.

Sounds similar to what my wife found despite the fact the lower spec screen was never actually fitted in our case, so the rain sensor issue never eventuated.

How did you go with the radio code?
    KB

After all that, I didn't do the reboot, as O'Briens had already procured the new screen. It's been a funny drizzly day in Perth today, so it has had a good workout and is working perfectly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information