• Help
Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 2 Post By geckoeng
  • 3 Post By Frans

Thread: My ZA Race car.

Default My ZA Race car.

I had a photo of my ZA race car on the wall in my workshop and decided to scan it at last.

This is a version during one of the stages the car went through it's racing life. It started off as a racing car straight out of the factory, so it was a racing life all along. It is the car that won its class in the 1968/69 (not sure) Monte Carlo with ZA drivers Gus Crous and Nic Swanepoel as a team. Back in ZA it was to continue in rallies but they realised that it was too low for the road conditions so they turned it into a track car which was an easy exercise.

This was what it looked like when I handed it back to the owner/sponsor when I left ZA.

Just a bit of useless info.

Regards, Frans.

Advertisement
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Both nice shots Frans. Great memories for you I expect.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

Nope,

Old things are great, this is great.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I had a photo of my ZA race car on the wall in my workshop and decided to scan it at last.

This is a version during one of the stages the car went through it's racing life. It started off as a racing car straight out of the factory, so it was a racing life all along. It is the car that won its class in the 1968/69 (not sure) Monte Carlo with ZA drivers Gus Crous and Nic Swanepoel as a team. Back in ZA it was to continue in rallies but they realised that it was too low for the road conditions so they turned it into a track car which was an easy

This was what it looked like when I handed it back to the owner/sponsor when I left ZA.

Just a bit of useless info.

Regards, Frans.
    i always wondered where this R8 Race Car image originated? Is this the same Frans ZA car? There certainly appears to be some similarity.

My ZA Race car.-image.jpeg

Hot diggity-dang it, Frans. Always in tripod mode!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

"i always wondered where this R8 Race Car image originated? Is this the same Frans ZA car? There certainly appears to be some similarity."

Angelo,
    The car in your picture was taken in Los Angeles. The car belongs to Peter Prinsloo, A very talented Speed way rider from Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) who competed in Europe and did very well in the late '70s and early '80s. The car was bought in Rhodesia, and is believed to be one of the early Scamp Porter cars. Peter took the car to LA when he emigrated and it was in storage for some time. It was nearly sold off (on Bring A Trailer) to clear the storage facility, but was seen by ex-pat South Africans in LA. They contacted Peter and his car was retrieved. I believe it is now being restored to be put back on the road.

Ray
    zaccy likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Wanting to Continue the Theme,

This is another R8 racing R8, that has just been brought back to life. Arthur Eggar, of Himeville, Natal, ZA has just finished putting his R8 back together for racing in ZA. He has been on AF quite a bit last year.

My ZA Race car.-thumbnail_himeville-20170430-00957.jpg

Ray
    J-man and keith mcelroy like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Frans,
    Your Super Prep car, did that have a glass fibre 4 light panel in the front, and was it the ex-Tony Martin car ???

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Wanting to Continue the Theme,

This is another R8 racing R8, that has just been brought back to life. Arthur Eggar, of Himeville, Natal, ZA has just finished putting his R8 back together for racing in ZA. He has been on AF quite a bit last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_Himeville-20170430-00957.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	96092

Ray
    The R8 is certainly a beautiful car to look at. Also love the alloys. They appear to be 4 stud though, so assume a hub conversion/modification was done?
    Thanks also for the reply on Peter's LA car.

The racing R8s in S.Africa bring back many good memories, but I still think a nice race prepared R10 looks better!

However I've got to admit to having a picture of Frans' current racing R8 on my "workshop" wall.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

I loved the R8s since school days and then who does not like an underdog? The small guy giving the big bully a hiding. Unfortunately my timing was out with a few years, finished school in '70, then military in '71, then apprentice from '72 to '75. So I could never get nor afford a G those days. Until 1980 when I got mine, the one still in my garage.

I started loving them more when I worked on them and realised what standard brakes and suspension can do. I don't think there are many affordable family saloons that can out-brake and out-corner much more sophisticated cars. All the others need major upgrades.

Angelo....As Ray said about the other G.

Ray.........No it was a metal panel.

Thanks Henry!

I think Arthur's car as pictured in Ray's post has the Suzuki 4x4 rims. He will be starting in his 1st race on the 3rd June and for now he is running with a 1400 non-crossflow motor complete with twin SD Webers etc.

Here is a rear view of Arthur's car. Very neat!

Regards, Frans.
    R8 Dream, Sunroof and FIVEDOOR like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Tadpole

Thanks to Ray and Frans for posting the pics of my car.

I see Frans's car started out with the number 68.
    For me that number has something special in that it was my racing number way back in the 70's when I raced Karts and by good fortune,when I joined our Historic Racing Club, 68 was available. So needless to say, I asked for it and say no more.
    As mentioned, my first event will be on 3 June and here's to hoping all goes well. Haven't had the opportunity to track test the car, because of where I live, but we have a very nice tar road leading to Lesotho - Sani Pass, that has testing corners, elevation changes etc, that I gave the car a good " burn " on and was pleasantly surprised. If my rev counter is correct, I cracked the magic ton ( 100 MPH ) in 4th gear and then backed off ( 6500 RPM ). Handling was great, brakes better than expected, so overall been a rewarding 2 and a bit years work.

Will post feedback of my first event with pics and later a details of what has been done to the car.

'Till later.

Thread Information