R8/10 Gear linkage bushes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alan moore

Thread: R8/10 Gear linkage bushes

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8/10 Gear linkage bushes

Does anyone know an alternative part or place to get the two rubber blocks that connect the gear linkage to the gearboxes selector.

Is there a better method.

I can always add it to a mecaparts order but won't be doing one for a while.

Christian

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Generally places like Melun Retro Passion, Neoretro, Bretagne Auto Parts etc stock them, but it's the usual story with about a Euro 40 minimum postage from these suppliers. Best to get them as part of a larger order as you are thinking.

Ken Bailey might have them in Melbourne? Jacques Rear-Engined Renault Parts in California too.

I wonder whether 59 Floride might go into series production if asked... It's a demanding application, regarding bonding the rubber to the two metal plates.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Bonding to the metal plates isn't the problem, it's making them at an affordable price that is the issue. Anyways I'd only consider making them if they were unobtainable anywhere else, which isn't the case as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Bonding to the metal plates isn't the problem, it's making them at an affordable price that is the issue. Anyways I'd only consider making them if they were unobtainable anywhere else, which isn't the case as we all know.
    Yes. Readily available at Euro 7 each. Plus postage of course.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

I have made them with old shocker rubbers a bolt with a nyloc nut. Also cutting a piece off a block of rubber I have, that happens to be the same thickness, drill a hole through and again a small bolt with a lock nut.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I have made them with old shocker rubbers a bolt with a nyloc nut. Also cutting a piece off a block of rubber I have, that happens to be the same thickness, drill a hole through and again a small bolt with a lock nut.
    Sort of thing I was thinking of. I assume it worked ok. There's almost always a "blacksmithing" solution with this sort of beastie.

Fellow Frogger!

I was also thinking a piece or rubber and bolts etc but wondered if having bolts go right through defeated the purpose as it won't dampen the vibration as much.

Darn the 508 Resource error!!

Just keep in mind what the car will be used for, and the condition and softness of the engine and gearbox mounts. If the connection between the lever rod and gearbox is too stiff, and the mounts are soft (there are differing hardness - OE are fairly firm, and some pirate parts are soft – in addition there are also the homologated “solid” mounts for the gearbox) there is potential for the car to pop out of gear due to the lack of flexibility in the rod to gearbox connection if used on say a rough road.

On a total sidetrack, I consider this is why Renault altered the 365 gearbox from a rear entry on the early type to the side entry on the later type.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    I was also thinking a piece or rubber and bolts etc but wondered if having bolts go right through defeated the purpose as it won't dampen the vibration as much.

I have this set up on my 4CV. At 100 Kph the gear lever does vibrate, making a noise until I give it a wiggle, which might stop the noise for a minute, and then it comes back again. I am considering trying using the original style blocks on mine soon, but then I have been putting up with it for 20 years so far, so it musn't annoy me that much. Truthfully, all the other resonances and noises do compete with the gearshift, and so lessens its intrusion.
    JohnW likes this.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

The previous owner of my R10 made some from what looks like exhaust hanger rubbers with a bolt thru with nylock nuts. Works fine, no vbrations, or jumping out of gear and gives nice solid feeling to the mechanism. FYI

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

1000+ Posts

I've never had any vibration or jumping out of gear. On one car a previous owner fitted a 330 gear box in place of a Dauphine Gordine box and welded the bracket on to the gear linkage rod a bit crooked and this put the gear lever closer to the left than normal. So I packed one side with a thicker rubber piece to bring it closer to the driver. Just don't tighten the bolts up too much just so there is no slop.

I've replaced the bonded devices with genuine ones perhaps twice in 44 years. They last surprisingly well considering I reckon. At Euro 7 each, it isn't a huge expense if bundled with other purchases. Buy 4 by the way, just in case! I never travel without a spare pair in the car.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I've replaced the bonded devices with genuine ones perhaps twice in 44 years. They last surprisingly well considering the forces, I reckon. At Euro 7 each, it isn't a huge expense if bundled with other purchases. Buy 4 by the way, just in case! I never travel without a spare pair in the car.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

If you take the trouble to look through local supplires' exhaust mount catalogues you will find something
    quite adaptable.
    IE. proper bonded rubber with threaded studs each side. NOT bolt though.

^^i was pulling the white car apart yesterday, (the gear linkage has the std mounts) but the custom exhaust mounts use small exhaust bobbins as Steve describes which I got from the local cartune exhaust shop. They looked like they might be a good thickness for gearbox mounts, and they avoid the bolt through stiffness that Steve mentions.
    KB

Default Gear Lever rubbers

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    ^^i was pulling the white car apart yesterday, (the gear linkage has the std mounts) but the custom exhaust mounts use small exhaust bobbins as Steve describes which I got from the local cartune exhaust shop. They looked like they might be a good thickness for gearbox mounts, and they avoid the bolt through stiffness that Steve mentions.
    I bought mine from a local exhaust shop, they are square instead of round but work a treat

Cheers Harry
    REAR ENGINES IS LIFE!

I found it the other way around. The std ones were square, the exhaust shop ones are round.
    KB

Thread Information