The internet is littered with (expensive) stories of woe regarding Megane II handbrake buttons.

Megane - Handbrake Button Exploded - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

megane 2003 handbrake fault - button stuck in - The Mégane II Owners' Club

Megane II Throttle Style Handbrake EXPOSED - Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum

I too had this issue with my 2007 Megane II 2.0l 5spd man sedan. The handbrake operated properly, it would engage the brakes, but would not stay in the engaged position. The button on the handbrake was pushed in and would not pop out.

Advertisement

Following advice on the above (and other links), I removed the plastic panel with the cut-outs for the brake handle and manually engaged the handbrake ratchet to keep the brake on.

When I had time I prised open the handbrake handle and discovered the plastic had broken where the tension spring is held in position at the right hand end. (I forgot to take a picture, so nicked one from a thread above THANKS internet person. My handle does not have leather trim). The spring is located in a hole, indicated by the yellow arrow. I hooked the end of the spring over the plastic reinforcing indicated by the blue arrow and it is working fine. It may well pop off that location and depending how long the fix last I'll either put it back again, or drill another hole to locate that end of the spring, as this chap did.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone else had a similar issue. The fix was very easy, but I'll have to wait and see how long it lasts.

Megane II broken handbrake button FIXED-megane_handbrake.jpg